WTB: 5 channel amp & preamp

Polkapops
Polkapops Posts: 267
edited April 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I just upgraded to the LSi series (thanks to Mantis) and am looking for (at least a) 5 channel amp and pre-amp for a friend of mine who bought my RTi lineup. Particularly looking for something that would juice the RTi12's respectably for him. He's financially challenged (after springing for the RTi's!) and is hoping to be able to get hooked up for around 5 or $600 range - However, I'll help him out if someone's got a killer package at a decent price. Appreciate whatever help I can get - Thanks!

Dan
HT & Music System:
Receiver - Denon AVR-3805
DVD/SACD Player - Denon DVD-2900
Outlaw 770 amp
Polk LSi 15's up front
Polk LSiC center
Polk LSi F/X surrounds
SVS 16-46 PC+ Subwoofer
Sony Wega KDF-50WE655
Post edited by Polkapops on

Comments

• Polkapops
    edited April 2005
    Or how about a 5.1 pre and a couple of 2 channel amps? Something that would pair up nicely to drive the RTi12's......Thanks,

Dan
    HT & Music System:
    Outlaw 770 amp
    Polk LSi 15's up front
    Polk LSiC center
    Polk LSi F/X surrounds
    SVS 16-46 PC+ Subwoofer
    Sony Wega KDF-50WE655
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited April 2005
    its hard to find a cheap 5.1 pre. maybe a reciever with preouts, then a good used 2 channel amp for the 12's (i know they need the juice!). all the other channels can be driven with the reciever. should yield good results.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2005
    i don't know if you will be able to ind a nice 5 channel amp and a 5.1 pre amp for under $600....i think a 2 channel amp for the rti12's and a receiver for the rest would work nicely though.
  • Polkapops
    edited April 2005
    Yeah, that'd work great too! I'll keep my eye open - Actually, I have a 100wpc Hafler amp to power the 12's that he can use until I can get him set up proper on his own - Just want to make sure I pick something up that pairs well together for optimum SQ - Thanks for the tip ohskigod & Airplay! Anyone have a receiver with pre-outs they'd like to part with?
    Dan
    HT & Music System:
    Outlaw 770 amp
    Polk LSi 15's up front
    Polk LSiC center
    Polk LSi F/X surrounds
    SVS 16-46 PC+ Subwoofer
    Sony Wega KDF-50WE655
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited April 2005
    your friend may be interested in a HK 80wx5 amp for around 330? Not mine but saw it on another board....I have one and it sounds pretty good...
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by 2+2
    your friend may be interested in a HK 80wx5 amp for around 330? Not mine but saw it on another board....I have one and it sounds pretty good...

2+2, I have that exact amp and I got it here for $280+shipping. I need to work out some money issues to see if I can afford an upgrade. If so, I might have the pre and amp in the right price range.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Polkapops
    edited April 2005
    jd - That sounds like it should do the trick!
    Wouldn't happen to have a receiver to boot now, wouldja?!:D
    HT & Music System:
    Outlaw 770 amp
    Polk LSi 15's up front
    Polk LSiC center
    Polk LSi F/X surrounds
    SVS 16-46 PC+ Subwoofer
    Sony Wega KDF-50WE655
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2005
    Items all checked out and udergoing packing. Definately different watching DVD's in 2.0 now, but I'll get used to it... ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin