Dynaudio Audience 82's in review.

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited March 2006 in Speakers
Well they have been playing all day since I got home from work. About 6 hours on them so far.

What kinda sucks is that nothing is broken in, I need new front 3 speaker wires, not to mention the Rotel gear is also new and in the not broken in club. But....

It sounds incredible. I'm alittle stunned how smooth the system is playing. It's been awhile since I Installed Dynaudio speakers. i do however never remember them sounding bad out of the box like B&W's do.

So far I feel they are on a different level then my Lsi15's where. Even fresh out of the box, the bass is so much smoother. It's so accurate and quick. The 15's had a slight boom to them when you drove them, the Dyn's don't. They however have a silk to them I'm in need of getting used to it.

I thought the high's where going to be close to what the Lsi15's produced. that Viva tweeter was really good. I felt it was the best part of the Lsi's. The Dyna's take that to a whole new level. This tweeter crashes Symbols and keeps the ringing going into the sound stage. It's like the drummer hit the cymbol in my livingroom and let it ring out.... very effin cool.

I feel alot has to do with this killer 330 watts of A hole power I bought. It controls the 82's with ease.

Well I gotta let them break in for a good 100+ hours before I can give a better review. So far though I'm so happy. I feel so good about this upgrade. I think it's a keeper for a long time.

Dan
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Glad to see you digging your gear, Dan!

What did you opt for amplification?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Dan, sounds like you have "found" your true sound!

burn-in is a **** from the point of waiting, but it will get there in no time. Let us know how you diggin' it.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Troy,
    I got Rotel. Rsp1068 preamp and a RMB1095 5 channel power amp. It's rated at 330 watts all channels driven into a 4 ohm load. It's scary how much power it has.

Polkatese,
    Yes it's what I always wanted. I believe this is the way I should have gone back then. I have no regrets of owning the Lsi or B&K, they went together like PP&J. But this is where I want to be. I'm still a bit in the clouds as I have to pinch myself every now and again to make sure it's not a dream.

The system has been on today since 9am this morning. I want to get past the break in period as fast as possible. I want to sit and review the system after I Install the new speaker wires (still in the air with a single run of 8tc or killing it and going for Monocle X's), the sub (Rel and I'm gonna try out the Dynaudio Sub500) and the center channel ( 122C).

Dan
    Dan
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Congrats, Dan! You just better lock your doors or BDT might do a smash 'n grab on ya! :eek:

Aaron
  • mantis
    edited April 2005
    Options
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Eh, my main amps are 900wpc into 4 ohms. I'll stick with them. ;)

No offense to anyone but Rotel amps just don't blow my skirt up.

BDT
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited April 2005
    Options
    900w per channel..?!!

**DROOL**

what praytell puts out 900w, and where can I find one..?!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • TroyD
    edited April 2005
    Options
    My Carver Silver 9t monos according to the manual are 575 wpc into 8 ohms, 900wpc into 4 ohms.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thats why we all have our own skirts to get blown up.

Rotel rips my skirt off,

Dan:p
    Dan
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2005
    Options
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful Dan!:D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Awesome. Give us a full review when everything breaks in. I've yet to hear anything bad about Dynaudio.

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited April 2005
    Options
    organ,
    So far I find them even not broken in a big improvement from where I was. The level of detail is on a different level.

More to come mayb e by this weekend if I can get the hours on them.

Dan
    Dan
  • Crazed
    Crazed Posts: 60
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Congrats on your setup Dan. That 1095 should whip the speaks into shape pretty quickly. I'm now suffering from amp-envy... That's what makes this hobby (affliction) so dangerous...
    Main System:
    PreAmp: Rotel 1098 with MF X-10v3
    Amp: Rotel 1090, 1075, 1070
    Source: Pro-Ject RM9 with Blackbird Cart., Denon 2900 with MF X-DACv3
    Speakers: Gallo Ref 3s (LR), Gallo Due (C, SR, SL), Gallo Micro (RR, RL)

Second System:
    Receiver: H/K AVR 630
    Source: Pioneer 563
    Speakers: Polk RTi10s (LR), CSi5 (C), RTR 200 (SR, SL)
  • mantis
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Crazed,
    I see you own the 1070 and 1075. Those amps are no slouch.

Yes this hobby will make you go for broke.

Dan
    Dan
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Mantis:

I find that if your amp has enough power, break in time is less of a concern. You may only hear a slight improvement over time. Sounds like your Rotel is an Alpha male that has the Danes in a choke hold. Nice gear Bro. ;)
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • mantis
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Well after so many damn hours of playtime, they finally came around.

So I felt it was time to break out the "Inroom Pressure test". Tom Coster"From the Streets" was the track I decided to use as this is one of my very favorite Progressive Jazz tracks. It has plenty of jam and is very dynamic. Much going on . I turned it up , then up some more , got real brave and cranked the hell out of it.
    I was waiting for the walls to crack and my couch to move backward. The floor felt like shockwave ripples where pulling up the floor boards. Such power I couldn't repeat with my last system.

Next up was KORN , I felt if they can rock out Progressive jazz like that , what can they do with heavier stuff. I ran "Right Now","Did My Time" and "Freak on a Leash".Maaaannnn let me tell you..... I almost was convinced that they where here with me. One a while I thought I could smell the guitar amps.I was reliving a time when I used to play and I could smell my Fender Twin reverb after a hard jam.

So after all the torture I wanted to see how well they could play clean.Train is always fun to listen to and I had the SACD of "My Private nation" and ran "calling all Angels". Before I sold my Lsi15's, I ran this same track to give them a goodbye. I was loving them and secretly getting all emotional with there departure. That all went in the drain after 20 seconds into the song. Such detail and control. The truth be told, the bass on the Audience 82's crush the Lsi15's. It's not even in the same class. Thats the only part of the Lsi15's I didn't care for. The lower end always sounded a bit boomy . Maybe I expected to much out of my last system, but I was unhappy there. It wasn't as pronounced untill I owned the Dynaudio's. I didn't know what I was missing untill I had it.
    So After the Train left the station, I ventured out to a new artist. The very beutiful Keiko Matsui "Walls of Akendora". It's my first cd of hers and I'm digging it. It's in HDCD form and the Rotel eats it up like a kid with candy. I run this cd in digital from my dvd player as it doesn't decode HDCD. I gotta just think that this is what music is suppost to sound like. Everything coming together, I can listen to the music instead of my system..... If that makes any sence to you. I understand it, I thought I could do it before but I always found something that I just didn't like.Why o Why I'm so damn picky is behond me.

To sum it up, I'm totally devoted to Dynaudio. They are in my very soul. I feel one with them. I have finally found what I have been looking for. All the other systems I have built never gave me what I'm experiencing now. I'm not seeing any new speakers for a very long time. I'm so looking forward to tweaking my ever lovin face off. I'm also wondering if it's the synergy between Rotel and Dynaudio thats so special. I know I can do better then Rotel down the road in Krell showcase It's most likely where I'm headed. For now I'm way into Rotel as a combo with Dynaudio. Kimber thatfully works perfectly. I was sweating going back to Transparent due to thats what I used when I first fell in love with this combo. To recreate that dream, that experience was unnerving. now I'm at peace.

Dan
    Dan
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Dan how would you compare Rotel vs B&K now that you've had them both?
  • mantis
    edited May 2005
    Options
    There different. I don't think one is better then the other. But when comparing certain speakers, they are. B&K is more suited for Polk Lsi speakers and Rotel I find better suited for Dynaudio.

But both companies run both speakes extremely well. It comes down to personal preference.

I think B&K builds a slighty better preamp section. I like the fact that the Rotel has no tuner built in, one thing I like better about the Rotel, but B&K's menu system and setup is alot better. Rotels is ok at best. Rotel doesn't click and pop like the B&K preamp does. I hated that about them. There damn lack of a soft muting circuit drove me up the wall.

Amp wise it's tuff. both companies build solid strong amps. Sound quality here is close. Dynamic range is even closer.

If you go B&K or Rotel, I feel you own very good Entry level seperates. I perfer B&K and Rotel over companies like NAD, Adcom and Outlaw.Even Sunfire I still perfer B&k.

Dan
    Dan
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2005
    Options
    The Dynaudio sounds pretty interesting Dan. I will have to keep my eyes open for a steal.

I agree on that B&K soft muting issue, it's annoying at times. I'd like to get in touch with you sometime this week to go over some B&K issues. I think the menu system is mediocre at best when it comes to the B&K. The Sony ES was far easier to work with IMO, but that is mainly due to being more knowledgeable in its operation I imagine.

Email me as to what would be best for you time wise, as I don't want to take up too much if any of your personal time.

Do you still have your Pronto remote files? If you do, please email them to me, as it's now time to finally get consolidated.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mantis
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I find it wierd you like the Sony better for the menu. I hated the Sonys menu systems.
    Everyone has what they like and not. I will gladly help you with anythin you need.
    Yes I still have the Pronto file for the B&K. If you have any questions about the Pronto, I can help as well.

Dan
    Dan
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I like the B&K menu system for navigation. Rotel is kinda strange; one needs to hook up to the TV to really get a good feel for it.

Doro,
    When I upgraded my 307 to 317 at the B&K factory, I got the new blue lights, DACS, and the clicking noise is a lot less now. Kind of strange, it makes a very light click the first time you change an input but if you switch to another input or back to the input you just came from it is quiet. With the 307 it clicked every time and a lot louder. I really didn't notice this until I read this thread and noticed that my 317 doesn't make all the clicking. I actually forgot about it.

Here's an old thread with what she looks like:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19617&highlight=avr+317

Oh yeah. Nice writeup on the 82s Dan.
    What do they dig down to 26 Hz or something like that?

Paul
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2005
    Options
    PJ - Well, if that's the case, I need to send this POS outta here :) Thanks for the information, that is actually quite worthwhile to me personally.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Doro,
    The upgrade was $498 plus shipping one way. While it is there it will also be given a clean bill of health and thoroughly checked out. I know 5 franklins is not chump change but I'm glad I went through with it. You also get all the latest surround modes (if that is important to you). I won't be needing a surround receiver for a long time as I am completely happy with it and my LSi HT setup.

I think they have the 317 manual on B&Ks website if you want to check out the differences.
    Paul
  • mantis
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Thats one of the great things about owning B&K. The ability to send it in and get upgraded not only software but hardware as well.

You just can't go wrong with B&K...

pjdami,
    Thanks.
    The Dynaudio Audience 82's are rated at 26 Hz - 21 kHz.
    Unlike Polk I believe they actually get down there as hard as they hit. The Lsi15's where all confusing, I tested them and they only hit solid down to 32hz but rated differently. I'm not one for spec's and all so that really didn't matter to me. I still loved owning them.

Dan
    Dan
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    There different. I don't think one is better then the other. But when comparing certain speakers, they are. B&K is more suited for Polk Lsi speakers and Rotel I find better suited for Dynaudio.

But both companies run both speakes extremely well. It comes down to personal preference.

I think B&K builds a slighty better preamp section. I like the fact that the Rotel has no tuner built in, one thing I like better about the Rotel, but B&K's menu system and setup is alot better. Rotels is ok at best. Rotel doesn't click and pop like the B&K preamp does. I hated that about them. There damn lack of a soft muting circuit drove me up the wall.

Amp wise it's tuff. both companies build solid strong amps. Sound quality here is close. Dynamic range is even closer.

If you go B&K or Rotel, I feel you own very good Entry level seperates. I perfer B&K and Rotel over companies like NAD, Adcom and Outlaw.Even Sunfire I still perfer B&k.

Dan

Glad to hear your system is sounding so good! But I am confused. Your previous gear from what I gather in your posts was the Lsi-15 with B&K, is this correct? You now say the Dynaudio's blow the Lsi's out of the water. Did you use the Rotel with the Lsi's or is that piece new as well as the Dynaudio? If you never hooked the Rotel up the Lsi's, then it's not fair to say the Dynaudio are so much better than the Lsi's. It's comparing apples to oranges. I mean it's not really a "true" comparison. You say B&K is more suited to Polks and Rotel to Dynaudio. Did you compare all 4 pieces against each other? I'm not trying to be an ****, but it's not fair to say one sounds better than the other if you haven't compared them with each other. If I misunderstood please set me straight.

In reality the Dynaudio's may be better than the Lsi's in some respects. I just want to know the process of how you came to this conclusion. If you weren't able to compare both amps with both speakers, the it's not really a fair test. Now, if somehow I missed something and you did run both sets with each amp then I've typed all this non-sense for nothing :eek:

Thanks

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2005
    Options
    great to hear you're enjoying your Dyna, Dan.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Dan & Doro, I have an old B&K AVR101. It is Dolby Digital only, not even DTS. It would cost $1000 plus shipping to get it upgraded to all the latest formats, plus I'd still need an additional 2 channel outboard amp.

Do you feel it would be woth it, or would that money be better spent elsewhere?
  • mantis
    edited May 2005
    Options
    heiney9,
    I see your new to the forum. I have owned Rotel 2 times now. I have worked for companies that carried both products in Rotel and B&K, my X partner Liv4fam owned B&K and Rotel , We did many vs battles with the Dynaudio,Rotel,B&K,Lsi setup with Transparent,Monstercable and Kimber battles in these systems. I have done countless hours of demoing all the products above and more.

Dynaudio is a much better speaker company then polk. They make higher end speakers and sound as such. You are correct in my last system , It consist of B&K and Lsi. The system was very very good and it made me happy for 2 years. I grew out of it and wanted more . The Rotel/Dynaudio combo was something I considered before I bought the B&K/LSI setup. Things changed, money was a problem and what I ended up with reflected it.

I don't know how much you have read around here but I have high respect for all the gear I have owned. B&k and Lsi I feel are great buys and rightfully so. Rotel and Dynaudio I perfer the way they mate together better. If Lsi sounded better on Rotel I would have gone that way a long time ago. I felt the Rotel was a bit forward sounding with the Lsi compared to the B&K. With Dynaudio, I felt the B&K sounded a bit dead. Funny 2 as in my shootout then I had a pair of B&W N803's and they sounded killer on the B&K. The Dyn's sounded better on the Rotel. I even tested the Rotel with the B&W N803 and I perferred the B&K running them.

It's all a matter of opnion my man. If you didn't learn that yeat, you will. After many many hours, many different systems, many different wires , you will come to a place where it's about mating and personal taste.

Thanks for reading and I enjoyed your questions.

polkatese,
    Lovin them Bro Loving them.

bigsexy1,

I would sell it and get a used 307 or 507. your missing 2 amp channels and its not worth the upgrade. B7K made very good upgrades both amp section and preamp froom the 101. I Installed plenty of them back in the day and I loved that piece except the damn volume knob. Yoou know exactly what I'm talking about...LOL.

Sell it Bro, you can get good money for it. It's still a great piece.

Dan
    Dan
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Mantis....thanks for in-depth response, I enjoyed reading it. My biggest downfall is, to a certain degree, I'm a bit afraid to buy different equipment to compare. I've had my gear for almost 20 years and it certainly still makes me smile everytime I turn it on. In some ways I'm envious of those on the forum, like yourself, that are able to mix things up. I'm afraid if I did that I would a) never be satisfied; b) not able to make a decision. I'm not completely opposed to switching out gear, but it would cause many reservations. I suppose if I were going to do it, it would have to be a huge leap to another level of performance. Maybe that's what your trying to get at in your explanation.

But hey.....that's just me, and that's why I enjoy this forum so much. All the knowledge and opinion and the willingness to defend one's opinion.

Regards

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2005
    Options
    BS - I agree with Mantis, sell it and buy a used 307/507. It should be more cost effective in the long run and is a smarter way to approach future upgrades IMO. Good luck and let us know what you get into.