WTB: Subwoofer Plate Amp

jarros
jarros Posts: 84
edited April 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Hey guys, I'm working on a DIY 2.1 speaker project and I need a plate amp for the sub. I'm using the Hi-Vi B3N speakers for my mains, powered by a Sonic Ipmact T-Amp. The sub will be the Dayton 8" DVC in a ported enclosure.

Because it's a small sub, I won't need a whole lot of power. I'm thinking somewhere between 30W and 100-something watts. If anyone has a plate amp kicking around from a previous project, broken sub, or whatever, let me know!

Thanks,
Jared
HT Setup:
Pioneer VSX-D912K
Polk CSi30 Center
RM6005 Satellites (Fronts/Surrounds/Rear Center)
Nameless 10" Sub
Post edited by jarros on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2005
    PE's got a little 25W plate amp that'll run you about $40 shipped.

That should have enough power for a small sub to match the B3N/T-amp combo. I'm working on a very similar setup myself.

Here's a link to the amp:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-782
    No affiliation, of course.

Jason
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2005
    We are going to have identical systems! I just drove down to Parts Express on Tuesday to purchase the parts for my line arrays and picked up one of the Dayton 8" DVCs for the sub. Are you going to go sealed or ported? I'm still undecided.

As far as the amp goes, I'm using the 70w plate amp that PE sells for $49.99. I have two of them brand new and would sell you one but you're in BC so I'm not sure about shipping. Also, if you don't have the speakers yet you might as well just pick them amp up from PE and have them all shipped together.
  • jarros
    jarros Posts: 84
    edited April 2005
    Yeah, I plan on doing the bulk of my shopping at PE.

I was checking out their plate amps, and they do have the 70 watter for $50 with free shipping. I'll be placing my order later today because they just got the T-Amps back in stock, but I'm still undecided about the amp.

I'll probably go with the 70W amp if I can't find anything here. I just wanted to check if anyone had a used 100W - 150W amp that I might be able to get for the same price range. The reason why I'd like a bit more power is because I'm tempted to try out the 8" DVC with my home theater. The sub I have now is decent for my uses (and budget), but it really starts to roll off in the high 40's. The 8" DVC looks great on paper, so I'd love to see how it compares to the sub I have now.

You're right Maz, they will be pretty similar! I'm not sure about sealed or ported either. While sealed cabs are typically more musical (which is what the 2.1 system will mainly be used for), The ported config allows the sub to dig a lot deeper, which is what I'd like to try out in my HT setup. I'm also contemplating how I'll do the mains. The open baffle design like yours is definately easier to make, but the sealed boxes that Zaph has on his site are much smaller and would work better with my limited desk space. I may just have to try both (for the sub AND sats) and see what I like better! This will be my first DIY speaker project, so maybe I'll play around with it a little more.

Jared
    HT Setup:
    Pioneer VSX-D912K
    Polk CSi30 Center
    RM6005 Satellites (Fronts/Surrounds/Rear Center)
    Nameless 10" Sub
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited April 2005
    You might want to keep an eye on This auction

No affiliation of course.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)