Surround coming apart

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
I have a pair of Dx 12" and the first pair i had had a problem with them and had to send them back just a week before the warranty went out . well when i got the new ones i had broke them in for about 38hrs and they were fine for about a week and then the same problem happened. I did some expirements and found out that the rubber surround is coming apart from the basket. This caused an air leak which is leaking from where the screw holes are and all the way around them. Now my speakers are making a popping sound. This is the second pair of Subs i have had. So i had bought some silicone RTV and put it on where the surround meets the basket all the way around the inside of the speaker and let it dry and it got rid of most the poping but it still pops at loud volume levels. I am getting frusturated with these subs considering this is my second pair. I would like to know why this is happening. If anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it. Thanks

Ryan
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2002
    Options
    This is a follow up on my last post. Before i was suppost to send the subs back I had did some more tests and i fixed the problem. i found out that the air leak wasn't just coming from where the surround connects to the basket but also coming from around the dust cap. i put some Silicone RTV around it and it helped the problem but at high excursions they still make a popping sound but its really not noticable like it was before. im glad i fixed the problem for the most part. i noticed on both subs that one had more glue around the dust cap and where the surround is glued to the basket than the other one did. The one with more glue is fine and the one with less had the big problem. Do you guys make your subs by hand? If so than somone is not using enough glue around the dust cap and also where the surround connects to the basket. I hope this information can be of help to you.

Thanks
    Ryan
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Rhino1984
    Rhino1984 Posts: 4
    edited April 2002
    Options
    This is a follow up from the last time i had posted about the air leak from the surround. Well i had fixed the air leak but now it turns out that the sub has blown. This had just started today and i dont understand why. I didnt have it loud and i wasnt overpowering it. The sub was hardly moving it just all of a sudden started sounding like the coil was hitting the back of the magnet. I took the sub out of the box and played it in free air and it does the same thing at low volume levels. Well since my warranty is 5 months past im stuck with a blown woofer. Well atleast i have one that still works. Hope no one else has to deal with the same thing i have went through. If anyone can tell me what might have gone wrong please reply.
    thanks Ryan:confused:
  • Rhino1984
    Rhino1984 Posts: 4
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I just had got my subs back today and i still havent a clue what went wrong with the other pair. I believe that they will eventually become messed up again so if you could tell me what was wrong with them i would really appriciate it.

Thanks

Ryan:)