D-vhs

Options
spawn1031
spawn1031 Posts: 14
edited May 2002 in Music & Movies
Victor Company of Japan (JVC) has released the digital VHS. It can record HD 1080i broadcasts. It can display 480p, 720p, and 1080i. And it's backward compatible. It suppossedly will play all old vhs tapes. Check out this month's Widescreen Review for an extensive article. I'll admit my curiousity is piqued, especially since HD-DVD is 3 years away (at least). But it would take a whole lot, to make me go back to vhs. Has anyone else been following this story? I'm curious to know if the problem of 'wear and tear' due to the nature of VHS has been resolved by JVC, otherwise what's the point?
The Q didn't come into existence, the Q have always existed! -Star Trek TNG
Post edited by spawn1031 on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2002
    Options
    It could be the same story as DAT, but in the video realm. Good, but too late. DAT is a fine technology, but the mass market wouldn't go for it because it was tape. Time will tell. DVD recorders are already on the mass market, & their prices will be coming down & the number of models will be going up. Perhaps the outcomes of the piracy/copy protection issues being discussed in the media & fought out in the courts will have something to do with what succeeds & what doesn't.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2002
    Options
    D-VHS will not succeed on a mas-market level. Why;

1. The average consumer is just now getting into DVD and they love it. Look at how DVD quantities have over taken VHS tapes in your local B&M.

2. The a.c. does not have an HD TV.

3. The a.c. does not want to go back to big, bulky tape (compared to DVDs). Including myself.

4. The cost associated with a new format. They will not buy into another format this soon.

I bet we see HD-DVD before the end of 2003. D-VHS is taking 2 steps back to move one step forward. Sure, the enthusist will buy in so he can have his 1080i right now, I can wait. D-VHS will go the way of beta and dat.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    as soon as the HD-VHS market begins to take off, HD-DVD will arrive on the scene. i don't see the logic on the small market HD-VHS will be catering to, those who have the money to have to have it NOW...
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i bet the hd vhs will got eh way of the laser disk
  • spawn1031
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Gimmie that Blue Laser HD DVD! I just purchased a DTS CD. To my suprise there are quite a few of them. I picked up one of my favorites, Sting's "Nothing Like the Sun". Has anyone else sampled them?
    The Q didn't come into existence, the Q have always existed! -Star Trek TNG
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited May 2002
    Options
    We have had this product on the Aussie market for over a YR now and it has proven to be a major sales flop,as it cannot record 5.1 and that is its problem...Kind regards to all Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited May 2002
    Options
    >as it cannot record 5.1 and that is its problem

Actually, these are touted to record 5.1 as well. These DVHS probably won't take off, but there are a couple of publishers releasing movies on the format. I doubt there will be any long term validity to it, but until Blue Light Recorders or Hard Disk Recorders with large enough storage capacity come out, this may be a viable alternative for the filthy rich ($1000 price tag!)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    Options
    will there be a new dvd format to go with the hd dvd?
  • spawn1031
    edited May 2002
    Options
    :confused:

I'm not sure what you mean... ' a new dvd format'
    I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky... and all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by
  • johnnyamerika
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Yeah me too :)

hd dvd, I assume you mean the bluelight dvds? Is that the official name for them now? Those will be the new format, and incompatible with current DVD players. Other than that, I don't know of another DVD format coming...anyone else?
  • spawn1031
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I've heard of the Blue Laser dvd, named for the tighter blue laser used to read it. I think the storage capacity will be 30 Gigs per side (which is fantastic)! I haven't heard anything about compatibility with today's discs, although I certainly hope the hardware manufacturers learned from the mistakes made by Atari and Nintendo regarding backwards compatibility.
    That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with...It can't be reasoned with... It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and it absolutely will not stop, EVER...Until you are dead!! -Sgt. Reese
  • johnnyamerika
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Well I doubt hollywood would learn from Nintendo's mistakes, their in different industries ;)

But compatibility with current DVDs is questionable, but not to worry, they're saying this technology is at least 5 years from mainstream. Why would they release it sooner, DVDs are just now gaining their full popularity! The studios would be **** themselves to release a new format now.