Upgrade Blues

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited March 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
So I got my system sounding just the way I want it to. Nothing else to buy, no upgrades needed, got plenty of CDs, etc. So now I'm suffering from upgrade withdrawal. What do I do? Is it possible to listen to music and not think about tweaking my system anymore? Oh, the agony and the pain of it all...:eek:
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2005
    Options
    kick back and do some critical listening to your system. now that it's complete. just enjoy it all.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2005
    Options
    What about room acoustics? Maybe its time for a new house. :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Vinyl baby.

That, or start setting a rig up in another room.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Surely you can make something up to stress about? You know the copper in your cables may have been a bad batch; or maybe your amp was made on Monday, maybe the guy who built your CD was the slacker at the factory?

This is the time to BUY MUSIC and enjoy. ;)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Start playing with different used speakers....that's what has kept things fresh for me....that and someone blowing up a piece of my gear as that helped get a new pre-amp :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Early B.
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Maybe its time for a new house.
    Damn. Why you gotta go and mention that? It certainly would be nice to have a separate music room. Or maybe I ought to renovate the basement. Hmmmm.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Early B.
    edited March 2005
    Options
    start setting a rig up in another room.
    Already did that. Well, I have the gear, but due to WAF considerations, I gotta break them out at the right time to minimize the frowns, awkward stares and scolding words.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited March 2005
    Options
    How does your wife like the Fostexs? :cool:

Upgrade bug sucks!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Early B.
    edited March 2005
    Options
    She doesn't know about them, Sid. It's best that way. As long as she can press "play" and music comes out of the speakers, she's cool.

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Just sit back and enjoy the tunes.

Man, I'm so happy. Haven't felt the need to upgrade since the summer. Upgrade withdrawal is a great thing. Think about the money you save.

Maurice
  • VR3
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Early B.
    She doesn't know about them, Sid. It's best that way. As long as she can press "play" and music comes out of the speakers, she's cool.

How do those Fostex's sound off-axis?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Early B.
    edited March 2005
    Options
    How do those Fostex's sound off-axis?
    Great. Huge soundstage. Eff a sweet spot.

• PolkFreak
    PolkFreak Posts: 91
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Early B., I think the only way to solve your, "upgrade bug" is to
    stop hanging around the forum.:D Stop reading those stereo magazines disguised as Playboys.;) Don't talk to people with the same problem.:rolleyes: Don't read about anything having to do with Hi-Fi. Don't go to Hi-Fi shops just to, "look around". Pretend
    that your system is the BEST and there is no better which shouldn't be hard now that it sounds the way you want it to.
    Just like people who do drugs and quit loose all of their friends
    because they didn't have any sober ones. The same will have to be for you in audio if you hope to get any better.
    :D You also have the option to keep scratching that itch.

Cheers from the American Wal-Nut!:p

Sorry, I got in bad joke mode which made me loose track of what I really wanted to say. All jokes aside I think Hi-Fi is like a bad drug habit for those who love it. Hanging around with others that
    love Hi-Fi drains the bank. I was happy to hear someone had perfected their sound system to their taste. I hate having the need to upgrade every two minutes. It is good to be at the point
    where you are at IMO Early B. I am happy for you.:D
  • VR3
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Great. Huge soundstage. Eff a sweet spot.

That is very very odd...

How about above them (walking around)? My two full range speaker setups sound horrid outside of ear level...

But yep, even cheap FR drivers throw off a pretty awesome SS
  • Early B.
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Sid, room is small so its nearfield listening. Speakers were sitting higher than ear level.

• VR3
    edited March 2005
    Options
    hmm, if your ever in town, I invite you to come and hear the Black Labs...

Very interesting speakers...
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I agree with Doro. Whenever I'm starting to get bored, I will throw some other speakers I have laying around on my system. Sometimes it's just fun to hear my system with different types of speakers. Just a thought.

I also like to hit my local used vinyl shop and snag some bargains.

Enjoy
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Early B.
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Decided to deal with the blues by buying more music. I discovered www.cdbaby.com where you can find thousands of CDs from unknown artists in every genre. Got me a few jazz CDs. Quality is typically top notch. Great musicians and vocalists. I was surprised to find that several of the ones I ordered are HDCD. Grabbed some good ones from the $5 bin. Shipped in two days from Oregon to Georgia. Cool.

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2005
    Options
    CDBaby loves Early B
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the link Early B! This site is outstanding. I have been looking for something like this for months. I have found myself in a musical rut and needed something fresh.

Thanks a ton.
    Dave
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    That is very very odd...

How about above them (walking around)? My two full range speaker setups sound horrid outside of ear level...

But yep, even cheap FR drivers throw off a pretty awesome SS

MX,
    I heard BluesMDPickers full range setup with the fostex drivers and it sounded great everywhere. I started in the sweet spot and when F1Nut got there I gave him the spot and I sat way off axis. Still everything was very good and I could hear everything from both speakers. Had a soundstage way to the side although not as good as the sweet spot. Quality was excellent everywhere!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited March 2005
    Options
    www.awarestore.com is also a great place for undiscovered talent.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    MX,
    I heard BluesMDPickers full range setup with the fostex drivers and it sounded great everywhere.

Thanks madmax! The Fostex drivers have opened up quite a bit more since you heard them. I drove them for around 20 hours with my Counterpoint SA-100 tube/mosfet amp, then went back to the SE-OTL and was amazed by the improvement in mid depth. I'd caution anyone contemplating a Fostex setup to expect an extensive break-in period - but, the patience required is well worth it.

More in line with the thread topic, I too beat the blues by trying different gear combos. Most recently, I brought my vintage Magneplanar MG-Is back upstairs and drove them with the Counterpoint amp which was driven directly by the Shanling CD T-100. A very satisfying combo! The Maggies have a width and depth to them that is unique and solid, puchy bass (I laugh anytime I hear someone say planar speakers can't deliver bass.) If the Maggies have a weakness, it's the fact they are, by design, for listening from a seated position. They go fairly flat and two dimensional if heard from a standing position.

Tube rolling is also great fun when you have a block of critical listening time available (aka boredom.) I am constantly amazed how two tubes with exactly the same specs can produce totally different SQ - including gain. It's obvious to me that tube data sheets are relatively meaningless and list operating conditions that simply don't exist in most audio circuits. It's always a wonderfully pleasant surprise to find a tube that crosses the actual operating point of a circuit perfectly - the tube "sweet spot."

Finally, CD Baby is indeed a great place to find musical treasure. Another forum member posted their site several months ago and I've purchased quite a few selections there that are fantastic.
  • Early B.
    edited March 2005
    Options
    One more cool thing about cdbaby -- if you don't like a CD, send it back within 14 days and they'll refund all of your money.

I'm really enjoying my CDs from "not-so-famous" artists. In many cases they sound better than the typical artists we have grown accustomed to hearing on the radio. It's ashamed most people aren't exposed to some of the better musicians and vocalists out there. It also helps to have great gear to really appreciate just how good they are! Aren't we lucky??!!:D

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited March 2005
    Options
    One more cool thing about cdbaby -- if you don't like a CD, send it back within 14 days and they'll refund all of your money.

I purchased one selection that had a money back guarantee from the artist himself - even got a follow-up email from him asking how I liked it and if I want my money back! :D Many other selections have been followed by emails from the artists and groups thanking me for my purchase and soliciting feedback on my impressions of their work. Very refreshing!

There are many selections on CD Baby that were made possible by the "MusicMaker Foundation." If you visit the site, do some reading about that very worthwhile effort to assist starving artists.

Indeed, as John Prine put it so aptly, we "don't know how lucky (we) are."