rear surround speakers

Options
spawn1031
spawn1031 Posts: 14
edited May 2002 in Music & Movies
I'm looking for three rear surround speakers to complete my THX certified HT setup. I wanted the LSi models but they're a little out of my price range. Can anyone suggest something else?
Crom, count the dead! Thieves and brigands I send to your mountain hall this day!! -Conan of Cimmeria
Post edited by spawn1031 on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    what components and fronts/center are you running???
  • spawn1031
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I've got a pair of RT1000i's for fronts, and a CS245i for the center. I've got an Onkyo 797 THX certified receiver ready to power the whole thing. I just need three rear surround speakers.
    Crom, count the Dead! - Conan the Barbarian
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i would recommend some f/x500i's for the sides set to dipole, and get another cs245 for your center rear. should fill your room out nicely...

or, even better yet, move your current 245 to ther rear center, and replace it with a cs400i (if budget & space allows)...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited May 2002
    Options
    juice21, I could not have said it better my self. The cs400 would go much better with the rt1000's.
    spawn1013 check out my setup in the system showcase sounds much like yours.
  • spawn1031
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Crom's Bones!

I never noticed the 'systems showcase' until you mentioned it. Talk about impressive! That's some setup you've got going scott. Are you suggesting that for true THX it's better to have a rear center and 2 surrounds, rather than three rear surrounds?
    Be honest... it's hard to tear yourself away from your HT, isn't it? Go on, admit it.
    When you look into the abyss don't let the abyss look back into you. Awaken the sleep of reason and fight the demons, with-in and without. - X-files
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited May 2002
    Options
    spawn, don't get hung up on the whole proper THX setup thing. My system is the recommended way to set up a 6.1 setup. Dipole on the sides and more direct in the rears. Only diff. in a 7.1 is the two rears but my room isn't really wide enough for two rears and the cs245 does a very nice job filling in the back. In reading about THX setups, if that is what your looking for, the most important thing is to get the correct db levels throught your hometheater. The most difficult is to get a subwoofer setup so that it hits low nondistorted bass at around 120db. I just bearly made it myself. Anyway I love my 6.1 setup---it is seemless throught out. There is a scene in Gladitor when he throws the sword and from the rear to the front and all the speakers are perfectly matched. I recently went to two rows of seating and a grey screen vs the white matte.
    Ya, I'm a HT junkie and all my credit cards are MAXED!:p