Two on Five: Pick a Fight

Options
Kevinvb11
Kevinvb11 Posts: 105
edited March 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm currently in the process of upgrading a couple of sources and would like a few opinions on the matter. I have an opportunity to get higher quality in both DVD and CD sources compared to what I have now but there may be some drawbacks and would like a little input. I'm a music first HT second listener and am looking for value and quality in my next purchase. I'm also looking for a great performing combination that will stay with me for the next five+ years that gives me the best overall enjoyment.

5.1 is fine with me I don't really want or need much more than that. I do want proper audio out of CD first and then DVD, pllus all the other formats that follow with these players.

If you had a choice which would you rather have?

Denon 2910 DVD + Krell KAV250 CD (used)

or

McIntosh MVP-841 (used)

I know little, but enough about the sources, to know that it should be a solid combo overall.

With the only drawback to package one being question marks about Denons' video playback issues and lack of quality for a long-term purchase I know that I will be upgrading the DVD player before I upgrade the other source. I know the Denon will lose it's value as soon as I buy it and the Krell will hold true to it's purchase value for quite a long time and the Krell will stay in my system for a long time.

I know very little about McIntosh products other than the faact that they are built solid/overkill, prove to be top notch performers in most aspects and hold thier value as well as any other top notch players. I've never owned any and have read few reviews of McIntosh as there are very few out there to be read. Obviously the Mc will stay in my system for a very long time also. Basically I'm looking for a great performing combination that will stay with me for the next five+ years and fulfill the satisfaction of great CD playback as well as good DVD playback.

So which would you like to have in your system, and back it up as to why?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all opinions.

Kevin
Post edited by Kevinvb11 on

Comments

• LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I'd go and get a DVD player like the 2900 and use it as a transport. Then buy a DAC, there are several out there. Steve has had alot of fun with his new benchmark, a highly regarded DAC. Audiogon has had an influx of Museatex digital gear up for sale, some of it is getting very very cheap.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1116947454
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1116541588
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1116356082
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1115942779

Ideally in a perfect world you'd run a dedicated transport, like the one in the first link. If not then , use your DVD player. The Bidat was and is still considered by some today as the best digital you can find regardless of price. When moddifed by former co-owner John Wright, it is still said to be ahead of the new EMM labs digital and dCs. I'd encourage you to get the Museatex Bitstream listed in the last link, its exactly the same as the one John modded for me a while back. I can safely say that it would make both the McIntosh and Krell look rather foolish given a very high resolution source. Althought I haven't had a krell to audition, do a search on Bidat or Museatex Bitstream and read up on it. Not many people can argue that it is the most analogue DAC in existence.
  • Kevinvb11
    Kevinvb11 Posts: 105
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the info LuSH. I will look into it. From what I've breifly read, there is quite a following with mods and the denon players, in particular the 2900.

Kevin
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I was just doing an A B comparisons between my 15 yr old cd player & my 3 yr old DVD player.

My cd player topped the dvd player! The sound was richer, smoother, simply more there!

I was shocked, I figured with all the advancements that are probably in my dvd it would sound better, but it doesn't.

So I would get one of each Kevin. That way you will have machines dedicated to doing what each does best.

Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I agree..
    I have done the test with both, and found that I "needed" an
    AH! Njoeb Tjoeb 4000 CDP to make all right in the world...

The modded CDP (still waiting for new upsampler board) has shown me that a dvd player is just that.....IMO...

:D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool: