LF: 130 mm (5 1/4”) pp coated cone
Frequency response at ±3 dB 48 Hz - 20 kHz
Crossover frequency 3 kHz
Amplifier requirements 10 - 100 W
Voltage Sensitivity (2.83 V / 1m) 90 dB
Impedance 8 Ohms
Internal Volume 12 litres
Weight 6 kg (13.2 lbs)
Dimensions (H x W x D) 14.4 x 8 x 9.4 in.
Bi-wire/amp capable
Rear ported

Gear Used:

ADC 16/2r CD
Carver m400a Cube
Luxman R113 (pre)
Signal Cable Interconnects
Bi-wired with 14awg lamp cord

First of all, even in my intimate (small) listening room, the stereo image is phenomenal. I love the silk dome, the speaker projects a great image, large soundstage, and seems to 'disappear'.

They don't seem as detailed as my B&W's, but they are a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. What is there in the low-end, is done right, very punchy, tight. Vocals come through with a certain amount of authority, and seem to be pretty much 'right on'.

The cherry finish is superb, the perfect amount of 'red', if you know what I'm talking about. Front and rear edges are beveled, much like the new Polk RT bookshelf line. Grilles are sturdy, and seem very transparent. The leather front baffle adds a nice cosmetic touch. This speaker originally retailed for around $400, and can still be had online for $275 new (pair).

/WHAT HIFI QUOTE/
They produce a sound that combines refinement and excitement in equal doses—a difficult balance indeed," reported the October 1999 issue. "Build quality is great and their appearance is elegant, which makes the Crestas worthy winners indeed."
/END QUOTE/

This is my first in-home experience with KEF's, and surely not my last. I'll be hanging onto these bad-boys for a long, long time.

Cheers,
Russ

KEFCR2Ca.jpg
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Now that is the way to write a review......

Got to keep my eye out for some of the 26 dollar jobs.

You know, I've been thinking about tweets a lot lately, in that I really like the silk. I like the tri-lams in the RT7's and CS400i in that they are very detailed but can get harsh. With the silk it seems you trade some of the detail for a smoother presentation. I don't know which is better but it's just an observation.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    I've noticed it, not so much with 'laminate' tweeters (which ARE silk, with certain metals vapor-deposited on top).

Metal domes tend to be brighter to some, and more detailed, whilest silk, or other fabric domes tend to sound more 'warm' or transparent....

To throw a wrench in it, go listen to some inverted ceramic domes, like Jm Lab, for yet another 'sound'. You think metal domes are detailed, ceramic is a whole 'nother level brocheese.....

There is a difference though, an audible one. I love the detail in my B&W's, don't get me wrong, but the BEST metal dome I have ever heard was in the Thiel CS series. It was the best of all words, detailed, non-fatiguing, yet very transparent, and easy to listen to.

Cheers,
    Russ

Ps, these ran me $125, to my door. Got me to thinking to how someone can and could throw together a NICE 2ch, or even HT rig, for next to nothing. The deals are out there, just takes effort, and most of all, patience. (if $$ are an issue for ya....)

The components listed above have run me no more than a cheesy little all in one mini-system would.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    I always thought of metal dome tweeters as being harsh and used in cheeper speaker like Radio Shack (and those overpriced Energy Veritas speakers). However, the Nautilus series and the my beloved Revel M20 use metal domes that are anything but harsh.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    I haven't done any SERIOUS research into it....just something I had been pondering. I think the Polk tri-lam is great, almost the best of both worlds but I would be interested in doing an A/B with the RT5 just for grins.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    They did a battle of the bookshelfs. The Monitor Audio Bronze 1s were in this battle. I recently got a pair of the Bronze 2s. for about $200. $150 more for an amp/pre combo and I'm set.:D :D:D
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    I know the comparison you speak of, they rated the Monitor over the KEF I think....

Man, get that rig up and running, I'm still waiting to hear your thoughts on those Bronze 2's you STOLE from me....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Well hell. Sure wish I new all this techno stuff, brighter, transparent, non-fatiguing? But what did get was they sound goooood........:lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    Yeah, the MA Bronze 1s did get a better review (IMO). It was a friendly jab. I re-read part of the review (to make sure they were Cresta 2s) from your link. I'll steal from you anytime.

The Dynaco rig is going great. I haven't enough time to do a dedicated listening/demo though. They are in the ex-tenant livingroom. Seperate entrances, midnight shift, daughter, main rig, etc. My initial impressions have been great. I think of tight drums and a fast mid. The highs were very listenable. The Dynacos are reputed to have a sharp top & bottom roll-off. This with an English bookshelf (roll-offs implied) make for a great tonal balance (or something like that). The imaging seems very good, but I have yet to be wowwed or even to test. I'm new to each of these pieces so it's hard to rate each component.

I put a post on "off topic" Nobody else replied either.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • GK2003
    GK2003 Posts: 1
    Old conversation I see…. but I just recently acquired a pair of these Cresta 2 (3303) speakers. And they are excellent. I’ve paired them with a Polk 202 sub, just enough to flesh out the below 50hz zone.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    20 years gotta be a record 😂

Enjoy your new speakers.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Absolutely. Who makes a first post to a twenty year old thread?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    GK2003 wrote: »
    Old conversation I see…. but I just recently acquired a pair of these Cresta 2 (3303) speakers. And they are excellent. I’ve paired them with a Polk 202 sub, just enough to flesh out the below 50hz zone.

Wth is a 202 sub? Is that also 20 years old?!?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Absolutely. Who makes a first post to a twenty year old thread?

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think it’s ok to revive an old thread if you acknowledge that you’ve done so. The ones that kill me are the ones that act like they’re posting in a recent thread…especially in the FM.

Enjoy the “new” speakers GK2003.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    GK2003 wrote: »

Wth is a 202 sub? Is that also 20 years old?!?

Definitely looks vintage: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-y4aoAP3OsP8/p_107PSW202/Polk-Audio-PSW202.html