basic home theater (digital)

caseymoucaseymou Posts: 327
Finally upgrading my ht setup a part at a time. I have a samsung dvd with component, s-vid, and optical outputs, a dts satellite receiver, and a tv which is only capable of coax and rca inputs. I am trying to make this work with a Denon 1602 receiver. 1st question: currently hooked up using rca inputs on the denon from the satellite and dvd (not using video switching) - I can't get a digital signal to the denon - why not? What must I hook up to achieve digital sound from the denon? 2nd question - does the denon have an adjustable subwoofer xover if so how do I get to it? The instrustions suck!
Post edited by caseymou on

Comments

• GuitarheadCAGuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2002
    Well I don't know anything about your Denon, but I can tell you why your not getting a digital signal. You said you had it hooked up via RCA imputs, well guess what- those are analog. Just left and right. The most you're gonna get is Dolby Pro Logic. Go buy a fiber optic cable and run that from your DVD player to your reciever. Then you're all set for Dolby Digital:D

Later
  • caseymoucaseymou Posts: 327
    edited May 2002
    I thought that might the the answer. Damn, talk about sticker shock on those optical cables!
  • TroyDTroyD Posts: 12,144
    edited May 2002
    But it's money well spent. I find that AR makes decent inexpensive cables.

As far as the Denon goes, I DOUBT very seriously that you will find an adjustable crossover. Mine is a couple years old and it doesn't.....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • GZGZ Posts: 343
    edited May 2002
    2nd question...According to their website Denon doesn't incorporate a variable crossover into their new '##02' line of A/V recievers until you reach the 2802. The 1602 & 1802 do not have one.
  • Billm57Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited May 2002
    Circuit City has Monster Cable fiber optic cable cheaper than anyone Ive seen..I just picked up a 13 footer for 39.99..
  • johnnyamerikajohnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited May 2002
    Yeah, and as Troy mentioned, AR is very cheap and pretty decent quality...we're talking 15-25 bucks for a digital cable!
  • cgravilcgravil Posts: 101
    edited May 2002
    3 meters long<13ft>???I have trouble with 1 meter cables.... dangling and such. oh and 14.95 at HHGreg. 1 Meter
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • danger boydanger boy Posts: 15,888
    edited May 2002
    Originally posted by Billm57
    Circuit City has Monster Cable fiber optic cable cheaper than anyone Ive seen..I just picked up a 13 footer for 39.99..

seriously? 13 feet for $40? for a optical digital cable? i paid that much for a 3 foot one. i guess i got ripped off.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
    edited May 2002
    Originally posted by danger boy

seriously?.. 13 feet for $40? for a optical digital cable? i paid that much for a 3 foot one. i guess i got ripped off.

Im dead serious..you can go on thier website..its Monster ILS100-4M I believe..Thier is a more expensive type (ILS200?) but I coulndt see any difference other than spring loaded ends?
    edited May 2002
    Originally posted by cgravil
    3 meters long<13ft>???I have trouble with 1 meter cables.... dangling and such. oh and 14.95 at HHGreg. 1 Meter

my entertainment center is about 10 feet wide so i need longer cable on some components
  • cgravilcgravil Posts: 101
    edited May 2002
    ahhh... I see.... I'm thinking vertical stack... silly me.
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • jeberhartjeberhart Posts: 69
    edited May 2002
    Regarding the question on Denon and variable crossovers, the new lower end units apparently don't have them...but I don't think my 3801 purchased two years ago has variable LFE crossover, either; if so I've never been able to find it on the menu. I'm not sure I'd use it anyway, though. Why use 120hz when you can use 80? I don't want anything coming out of my subwoofer except one fat-assed bottom end.
    "Evil men have no songs." -- Quotation found in Nietzsche's "Twilight of the Gods"