Carver amps for sale

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited March 2005 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I have two of the Carver PT-1250 amplifiers for sale. List price on each one was $1500. New I paid $1200 for one, $1300 for the other. They have maybe 300 easy hours on each. Never put in a rack. They are as new. No marks, scratches, nicks scrapes, nothing. Absolutely as new in box. 465 watts per channel into 8 ohms, 625 watts per channel into 4 ohms and 450 watts per channel into 2 ohms and 1000 watts parallel into 4 ohms (requires internal bridging). They have Bob Carvers patented magnetic field power supplies.

$550 each plus shipping.

A few quotes from "The Audio Critic" magazine.

"One channel can borrow the unused power capability of the other. For example 670/430 watts into 8 ohms instead of 550/550"
Note: their measured wattages are all higher than the values in the manual.

"The Carver PT-1250 gives you all the power in the world without the usual penalties in size, weight and price".

"All that would be no more than an industrial curiosity if the PT-1250 weren't a perfectly clean, audiophile-quality amplifier. In fact, I prefer its classic solid-state transfer function to what Bob Carver does in his razzle-dazzle tube clones, nice as the are."

madmax

Edit: Found some info I had and updated the power ratings and added some comments from editors of "The Audio Critic" magazine who were using the amplifiers as audiophile equipment rather than Pro audio equipment.

UPDATE:
I played one last performance last night using amp #2 before packaging it up. WOW, the dyanamics! While inspecting it I noticed it had a few small nicks. Nothing on the front but nontheless, I did say "as new" in the add. I have lost the original box for this one as well but will obviously package so it will not get damaged. I will knock off $30 for the imperfection.
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• madmax
    edited March 2005
    and another...

• madmax
    edited March 2005
    and one more...

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited March 2005
    sounds very powerful...I like..:p :D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2005
    Sounds like an upgrade for Cathy....:p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2005
    Ha, don't listen to Henry, he's high off of sniffing the fumes from his new toy after being shut up in the Bomb Shelter for hours on end! :p
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited March 2005
    wow, talk about a perfect amp for my DJ setup... to bad I'm FARGIN BROKE!!! Dammit... oh well. :(
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2005
    Why is something that is rack mounted (when it's designed to be so) looked at as a bad thing? Personally, I'd use the rack screws with the vinyl sheath to protect the metal from getting the typical rack screw scratching, but is that really THAT big of a deal?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2005
    Well Brett, I like the rack mountable look but don't have a rack so no scratching would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

mlong, these would be more than enough for your upcoming purchase.. :D
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • madmax
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by brettw22
    Why is something that is rack mounted (when it's designed to be so) looked at as a bad thing? Personally, I'd use the rack screws with the vinyl sheath to protect the metal from getting the typical rack screw scratching, but is that really THAT big of a deal?

It is a big deal for those who do not rack mount their equipment. Who wants to see big chips of the finish broken off, especially on the front of the unit. You are correct that scratches could be avoided but most people don't take the time. You can sometimes find these on ebay which have been used professionally. Not only have they been stressed beyond what is reasonable they have the scratches all over them and just look like a POS. They only go for a few hundred dollars. There is a reason for that. :D

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited March 2005
    Man if I was in the market for an amp...one of these would have been gone yesterday.

Sweet deal. Those are in outstanding condition.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2005
    Max

Do those have fans for cooling?

I searched and found that they do have a 2 speed fan.

Where the hell am I going to get 550.00?? lol
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2005
    those are in pristine condition!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • madmax
    edited March 2005
    Hoosier, if you wanted them I know you are good for it. Just say the word.

Yes, they have a 2 speed fan. Low speed keeps it cool and is very quiet. High speed is louder but you would have to really abuse it to need high speed. Keep in mind these things are built to put out full power for complete concerts. As a matter of fact one of the reasons I bought them was that Michael Jackson at the time used a stack of them for his stadium performances. I read that in some article about how to power up many of them at one time...

madmax

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2005
    I see a little dust on one of them Max. I'll give you half your ask and a PRISTINE Tosh 3960 for that one.

George
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2005
    I'm seriously considering one also.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by madmax
    ... one of the reasons I bought them was that Michael Jackson at the time used a stack of them for his stadium performances.

Oh BRUUUUCE!! :D
  • madmax
    edited March 2005
    Oh ****! Now I've gone and linked myself to Bruce! If I could just explain what Michael sounds like on these. His music is so dynamic that he continually goes from zero level to full output in a blink of an eye. It's enough to make you faint listening on these amps.

One other thing about the fans. You can hear them on low speed. They are much quieter than a normal PC but if you are one of those people who demand an absolutely quiet room with no music playing you would not want these. Of course even at the lowest volumes you would never hear them.

madmax

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2005
    I'd be more worried about being linked the MJ;)

I think those are some serious amps, but I got no dough and no real need.

If anyone doesn't know, Madmax is a great guy, have no doubts about dealing with him. (well except the MJ thing)
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by George Grand
    I see a little dust on one of them Max. I'll give you half your ask and a PRISTINE Tosh 3960 for that one.

George

Waaaaaaaaaaaa! good one GG
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • madmax
    edited March 2005
    I UPDATED the ad this morning.

"UPDATE:
    I played one last performance last night using amp #2 before packaging it up. WOW, the dyanamics! While inspecting it I noticed it had a few small nicks. Nothing on the front but nontheless, I did say "as new" in the ad. I have lost the original box for this one as well but will obviously package so it will not get damaged. I will knock off $30 for the imperfection."

Of course amp #1 is still absolutely mint in box.

madmax

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2005
    How easily could you blend these pro lines with non-pro lines should you decide to add on later?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • madmax
    edited March 2005
    Easily.
    They sound the same as the other Carvers I have heard. TFM series, Silver 9's etc. The Sunfire sounds a little warmer but noisier. Beyond that it would be the same as trying to blend any of the Carvers with anything else. They do not have much of an added character as some amps do. Sound goes in, gets much larger, comes out. :)

Maybe you would rather have the Sunfire for $800?

madmax

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2005
    who has a sunfire for $800 ? im interested :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • madmax
    edited March 2005
    Here is a pic of unit #2, the scratched one.

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2005
    These are now sold. Man I'm stoked!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited March 2005
    Congrats on your new gear! Madmax has some super goodies. I had the pleasure of meeting him yesterday - a great guy.
  • madmax
    edited March 2005
    Yes,
    The amplifiers are sold to fireshoes!

Thanks BlueMDPicker! Meeting Mike was a wonderful experience. This is a man who knows his music, the equipment, and is just overall one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet, not to mention an excellent host. Very charming family as well. I had a great time!

madmax