Dayens Menuetto Owners

Hermitism
Hermitism Posts: 4,251
Has anyone had any issues with the on/off rocker switch locking up in the off position and not being able to be pushed into the on position?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    Looks like it is a press fit rocker with some glue added. There are all kinds of replacements available, this is but one.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11155

t4o7c30mc70g.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Yeah, this thing's as cheap as the remote it comes with.

c4pu3aclzvtu.jpg
    mhv2dm7embkm.jpg
    fi5g5371371j.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Couldn't you put a better switch in it? I mean what's $10...😜😬
  • Hermitism
    Do they make a switch that will turn this into the quality of a Marantz?
  • F1nut
    edited June 15
    No!

There are push button switches, which are usually better, but you don't have much depth room and they tend to be deeper than a rocker, so you would need to do some measuring and careful shopping.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    edited June 16
    Any bypass options in the meantime?
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 385
    I haven’t had that issue. Mine doesn’t get a ton of use, though.
  • Hermitism
    edited June 16
    Here are some photos on the innards.

q434k88j6kkp.jpg
    ach2jwlpk3u4.jpg
    73562wooqu4j.jpg
    ct3xzw4383ch.jpg

Internet pic of the way the back of the switch looks. Four wires connect to it.
    SCI R13-112
    efw6ckvkn0pc.jpg
  • Hermitism
    For anyone that has to replace their switch in the future...

You have two thicker gauge wires for the power and two thinner gauge wires for the light and a four post switch.

Post 1: thick solid brown wire
    Post 2: thick solid yellow wire
    Post 3 Positive: thin solid white wire
    Post 3 Negative: thin solid brown wire

The two thicker wires can be pulled through the hole and soldered outside the unit. The two thinner wires have no extra length and the other ends are soldered to the board in the rear of the unit, labeled "motor". The two thinner wires have to be soldered after the switch has been installed in the hole. Not a lot of room to do so. And a four post switch seems to be rare.
  • F1nut
    You might be able to retro-fit this one. It may also help you search for a round one.
    https://www.hificollective.co.uk/switches/edk-sc-wl-spst-rocker-switch-red-illuminator.html

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    Would think you can grab the part number off the switch and replicate?
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • msg
    @Hermitism - nice work so far getting that apart.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    I can't believe you found that! Thank you!
  • CottageChz
    That’s some great sleuthin’
  • F1nut
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I can't believe you found that! Thank you!

You're welcome. Probably a good idea to buy more than one.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    Is this thing fixed yet?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Parts arrive Saturday. Ordered two. I contacted Dayens over the weekend before posting here. Zoran reached out on Monday and provided a link to a US source for the switch. We now have a couple sources if anyone here needs their switch replaced in the future, thanks to Jesse and Zoran. Apparently, I was not competent enough to find one on my own. And I tried.

The Dynamat treatment is complete. The lid is a heavier gauge metal than any of my other components. On the others, once you slide the lid back enough to clear the front face plate, you can pull out on the sides and lift straight up. You can't do that with the Menuetto. You have to slide it straight back to remove the top and it's a tight fit. So, Dynamating the inside of the lid is not an option.

There are two plastic bearings in the face plate that the rods slide through for the knobs. The fit could have been tighter. I understand the money for the construction went towards sound quality, and the knobs turn nicely, but you can wiggle them slightly. My OCD will force me to have a compulsion to wiggle the knobs every time I pass by. Then touch the power button three times and bark once.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    My OCD will force me to have a compulsion to wiggle the knobs every time I pass by. Then touch the power button three times and bark once.
    We need a video of that brah!
  • msg
    No we don't.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    My OCD wants to force you to clamp those leads together and power that thing on. Can you ask Zoltan if you can jump it?

I wonder if there's anything that could close the tolerance between the shaft and bearing. Foil tape? That translucent electrical tape they use inside computers and devices?

What's the other source for the switch?
    Woof.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,985
    msg wrote: »
    wants to force you to clamp

Can you ask Zoltan if you can jump it?

the tolerance between the shaft and bearing.

Woof.

HEY!

Watch your language.
  • msg
    at53kfs0az3b.jpg

xpeae81qf9gx.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Package arrived two days early. That was much more delicate work than soldering an IEC inlet.

Hermitism Chapter 1

In the beginning... the hermit said, "Let there be light!" and there was light.

txm2d2toj8l6.jpg

And the hermit saw the light and it sounded good, and the hermit divided the light from the darkeness.

And the hermit called the light... "on", and the darkness he called... "off". And the music was day one.

And the hermit completed the firmament and called it the "Hermitism Ruby Edition" Menuetto.

m349sov57hzn.jpg

sd9wxjf5crrr.jpg

And the Ruby Edition deserves a ruby red light to differentiate it from the inferior standard editions.

Thus endith the story.
  • msg
    375ylf1n7q6l.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,118
    what happened to the next five days? This creation story sucks. But I do appreciate the music!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Hermitism
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    what happened to the next five days? This creation story sucks. But I do appreciate the music!
    The hermit took the next five days off to listen to the music and give my solder joints a workout.

• CottageChz
    What speakers does the hermit run with his Menuetto?
  • Hermitism
    LSiM703s and a Marantz NA8005 as a source for playing flac.