Maggie owners, I need your help please...

halo71
halo71 Posts: 4,598
edited May 30 in Speakers
After hearing a pair of Maggie's at a friend house earlier this year. I have sorta been interested in owning a pair. So I found these locally, somewhat local anyways, from 1 seller.

1 pair of 1.6QR for $800

and a HT set up consisting of the following for $750. 1 pair MMG .1's(think that is what the seller said), center channel is MMGC and surround are MMGW's.

All speakers look to be in pristine condition. I haven't had a surround set up in several years. Although I have been thinking about it lately. What would you do?
--Gary--
Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,469
    edited May 30
    They'll work and are an interesting experience but I've found out that Magnepan speakers make for better stereo than home theater performance. They lack the dynamics of box speakers and low efficiency means having to crank up the volume to get much out of them with movie soundtracks. I tried a pair of 1.7i as the main speakers in a Polk Legend system that's primarily for home theater and surround music. While excellent for two channel listening they're not even close to the L800s for home theater use. Magnepans also need a substantial amount of room free behind them.

I'd go for the 1.6QR or similar to get a feel for what those do and can't do.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,569
    Ditto to the above comment. I confess that I haven’t heard Maggies in a home theater setup, but they will demand more current than most HT amps can provide. So try the 1.6QRs or, better yet, get the LRSs that are for sale here.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,537
    Have to agree having experienced Maggie's in my room I can't imagine them for movies. For music they do provide an excellent experience
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • halo71
    Anyone know how the 1.6QR's compare to the LRS's?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Emlyn
    The LRS are kind of like a gateway drug. :D

A pair of 1.6QR will make a bigger impression because they are larger. But, that model could be as much as 20 years old by now. Magnepan speakers are simple and tend to last a long time, but age affects everything eventually.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,369
    The 1.6 is a great speaker. I heard a pair of them being displayed on the foyer of a shop in Indianapolis back in the day and they sounded great even in less-than-ideal conditions. I would not hesitate on those.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,057
    Definitely check out the age of the 1.6QR. Excellent sounding for their age but the newer models are a step above including the LRS.
    I run my newly acquired 1.7i in a HT/2 channel system. No issue what so ever, the dual REL T7x subs connected via hi-level also add a nice addition but the workhorse for HT is a Velo SPL 1200R. Plenty dynamic for my needs.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,369
    The QR stands for quasi-ribbon. These speakers use a thin, metal film material as opposed to wires. This creates a lighter and faster driver that is dot susceptible to the delaminating issues that plagued earlier Maggie’s…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 781
    @halo71 please buy @pearsall001 's LRSs before I do lol. :D
    2ch rig: Speakers: Magnepan LRS w/Magna Riser stands Preamplifier: Parasound P5 Amplifier: Parasound A23 CDP: Pioneer DV-563A Cables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)

Standby: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress mods
  • pearsall001
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    @halo71 please buy @pearsall001 's LRSs before I do lol. :D

There you go...I even dropped the price $50.00 for Memorial Day making it an even $600.00 for both the LRS & the Magna Riser Airborne custom stands...that also includes shipping. For a Father's Day gift it sure sounds like a winner.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,306
  • pearsall001
    halo71 wrote: »
    After hearing a pair of Maggie's at a friend house earlier this year. I have sorta been interested in owning a pair. So I found these locally, somewhat local anyways, from 1 seller.

1 pair of 1.6QR for $800

and a HT set up consisting of the following for $750. 1 pair MMG .1's(think that is what the seller said), center channel is MMGC and surround are MMGW's.

All speakers look to be in pristine condition. I haven't had a surround set up in several years. Although I have been thinking about it lately. What would you do?

Did you go for it.
  • Emlyn
    Sometimes when people buy "inexpensive" Magnepan speakers they have to spend the next few months replacing all the gear in their system to match the high performance potential of the speakers.

:D
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,306
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Sometimes when people buy "inexpensive" Magnepan speakers they have to spend the next few months replacing all the gear in their system to match the high performance potential of the speakers.

:D

Or regluing down the ribbon. A good friend bought a pair that were stupid cheap. The prior owner knew just the right music to play to NOT bring attention to the problem. Once set up in the new owners house he called me up to come have a listen, I knew immediately what he was hearing, stripped the cloth back and most of the ends were curling up and rattling. A couple of weekends of work and he was back up and running. He put them up for sale and made a good amount of profit.
  • halo71
    Did you go for it.

No I didn't. After much thought, of already having 25+ pair of various speakers around my house. I decided I needed to sell some before buying more. Plus the coaxial drivers in my Theil CS2.3's need rebuilding. And that will be $500 from Rob at Coherent Source to do. So I decided to wait.

--Gary--
  • Emlyn
    halo71 wrote: »
    Did you go for it.

No I didn't. After much thought, of already having 25+ pair of various speakers around my house. I decided I needed to sell some before buying more. Plus the coaxial drivers in my Theil CS2.3's need rebuilding. And that will be $500 from Rob at Coherent Source to do. So I decided to wait.

Getting a pair of 2.3s back up and running would be a higher priority for me.