An "Identify these trees, if you please" post. :)

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,624
039nr7xveupf.jpeg
... maybe one of you can help! :D

OK, here's the deal. Down at the end of our south field, on our neighbor's farm, there is a small stand of tall deciduous trees that are quite different than the usual suspects around here. They leaf out quite late compared to everyone else. When they do, they start with what seemed to be (!?!) a profusion of white or light colored flowers... but it turns out they're not flowers, but rather leaves.
Here's what they looked like on 16May. They're the bare ones. ;)
53750245525_9d577c229a_b.jpg

Here's more or less the same view on 24May.
53749034084_5104ce977d_b.jpg

As I am sure many of you know, there are database tools for identifying plants from photographs, e.g., https://identify.plantnet.org/
Yesterday (26May) I had the bandwidth, gumption, and inclination to schlepp down and try to take some photos of the bark & foliage and see if I could determine what they are.
My first surprise: the "white" color's not flowers but rather very pale leaves. My second surprise: Conditions didn't permit getting very good/closeup photos of the details - I took a medium focal length lens, not thinking about how high up the greenery was. :( PlantNet was pretty unhelpful, although it did identify a few possibilities (albeit with low match quality).
At any rate, here's what those trees look like up close (ish) and personal.
53748650629_a25fbd438f_b.jpg
53748650724_dcdbe2b348_b.jpg
Here's the money shot of the leaves; best image I got.
53747406602_dedc7e5968_b.jpg
Here's what the trunks look like (image goosed a bit to improve visibility):
53748538248_65bfc7ea35_b.jpg

Any thoughts/suggestions on what species these trees be are much appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,507
    Some kind of Birch?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,364
    edited May 27
    …upon further review, white birch.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,240
    Aspen
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,077
    @mhardy6647 Mark, they are Aspens. Leaf shape & edges, along with bark determine that.
    Which exact variety I'm not positive.

https://leafyplace.com/aspen-trees/
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,112
    Going by the region and the bark, branches, and leaf shape my guess is poplar.
  • mhardy6647
    Thanks for the suggestions! Not a white birch, although the trunk is similar. Aspen's on the short list, but the match qualities for all of the algorithm IDs were low (< 10%). :|
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,388
    Firewood
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,650
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,292
    https://leafyplace.com/birch-tree-leaves/

https://leafyplace.com/aspen-trees/

https://leafyplace.com/poplar-trees/

Poplar trees are relatively fast growers, if they've been there more than 8-10yrs I'd think they would be larger canopies.

A good picture of a leaf or of a flower that would nail it down better
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    Not maples, not oaks. Looks like a peaceful forest with a little aspen grove here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnC88xBPkkc
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    River or White Birch?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Going by the bark, leaf shape and color, and general location, I'm fairly certain those are young Chest of Drawers, Kitchen Pantry, or Toothpick Trees.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    pbgf5q8trpdo.png

We have a larch, in fact. :)
    Up here, they're called tamaracks -- but, yeah. The Larch.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,112
    One tree I never saw when I lived in NH years ago was the Sycamore. Yet a couple states away they're plentiful. I remember thinking they were huge beech trees when I first moved to southern NE.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 3
    53766927337_8c11a5a530_b.jpg

Now they're pretty much green. :)

One suggestion (from folks at ASR):
    And by the way, your tree has three names: Paper Birch, White Birch and Canoe Birch. It's the state tree of New Hampshire (Betula papyrifera...). The pollen can trigger allergies.

The State Tree of New Hampshire. I didn't know we had a state tree, so I am kinda doubly chagrined.
    I will say that it's not what I think of as "white birch". :|

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    I believe you need to take measurements of their sinad for proper evaluation
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,364
    Life’s a birch, then you die…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    Those look like Aspens, dude.

You are in the range of Quaking Aspens which aren't just in, like, Colorado. They do look like Birch too and they do grow in large clumps, often many shutes of the same tree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populus_tremuloides
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    There are indeed quaking aspen in northern New England.
    I think, for now, we'll go with. They're trees. Freaking trees. B)
    I may have to collect some DNA. I know folks who do DNA stuffs.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,127
    Looks like a shrubbery to me.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    There are indeed quaking aspen in northern New England.
    I think, for now, we'll go with. They're trees. Freaking trees. B)
    I may have to collect some DNA. I know folks who do DNA stuffs.

As long as we get to say "I told you so" when it comes back.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!