Outdoor system suggestions

A friend is building what he calls a Tiki hut near his very nice swimming pool. He is planning to put a large screen TV under the roof and plans to buy a sound system for it.

He's thinking about a stereo receiver and a pair of speakers on either side of the TV but also wants something that can handle a separate pair of bluetooth speakers that he would put on the other side of the pool for music.

I didn't think to ask the budget for it, but let's call it $1000+ for the receiver and the front speakers. Maybe another $500 for the bluetooth speakers.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,524
    Bluetooth doesn't have the best long distance range... How far of a distance are you guys thinking?

It may be best to just have a higher quality integrated and 4 wired speakers with buried lines to the other side
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
    VR3 wrote: »
    Bluetooth doesn't have the best long distance range... How far of a distance are you guys thinking?

It may be best to just have a higher quality integrated and 4 wired speakers with buried lines to the other side

It's probably about 80 feet or so to where he would put the bluetooth speakers. Wired isn't really a good option, there's too much concrete to go around.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,284
    One word...Vermeer 😁😉
  • VR3
    Eh you need a wifi system for that distance. Think Sonos or musicast
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    Also, side note. sound carries REALLY well outdoors, you may only need 2. 80 ft is NOTHING outdoors.

I can hear my front porch in ceiling speakers over a football field away down the street from me
  • Jimbo18
    Thanks, everyone, some good suggestions. I will run them by my friend and see what he thinks. VR3's suggestion about needing only two might be a winner.
  • rooftop59
    VR3 wrote: »
    Also, side note. sound carries REALLY well outdoors, you may only need 2. 80 ft is NOTHING outdoors.

I can hear my front porch in ceiling speakers over a football field away down the street from me

I dunno man, it really depends on the setup. I have one pair connected to the tv under my deck, and the pool is just around the corner and to the left. I have a second set of speakers under that smaller patio. Can I hear the first pair at the pool? Yea, if I crank it, but the n it’s super loud under the deck. Also, I like that we can have the game on and music for folks over by the pool. Ymmv…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jimbo18
    I don't know if these will help, but here's the progress so far. I think if he can swivel the speakers, he can cover the pool area pretty well.
    t6v6jfz2gig5.jpeg
    fwslp3uae1rw.jpeg
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,577
    edited October 2023
    With that picture. You have lots of areas for placement....I have good size Advent outdoor speakers w/brackets angled to hear everywhere. Even at medium volume I can here it all over my 4acre lawn. If I crank it I could probably hear it in the woods as well... edit. If I thought I needed more of a area I would probably add 2 more speakers around my unit & angle them where needed.
  • VR3
    I would go for a pair of qsc k8
  • rooftop59
    Yea with that setup/arrangement, one pair will probably be great. If he wants a TV with speakers, I would suggest doing what I have - an AVR with ARC. The Marantz listed above has ARC. And with that amount of space I would probably go with the larger daytons: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-IO800WT-8-2-Way-70V-Indoor-Outdoor-Speaker-White-310-031?quantity=1
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jimbo18
    Well, it's been a long time coming but he's almost finished with the "hut". It has a changing room and storage room behind the front bar area. Still has to hook up the water and finish some stuff under the bar top.

And of course, no sound system yet but he ordered an 85" TV today. For sound, he decided to go with just two front wireless bluetooth powered speakers. I've been looking at options on line and they seem to be pretty slim. I don't know about a budget yet but probably under $500, at a guess. I couldn't talk him into going passive with a receiver for power.

c92547q1lazi.jpg
  • Jimbo18
    We are having trouble determining if a TV (I think he's getting a Hisense) will stream directly to a pair of active speakers. Anyone know? The specs that I looked at specify computer, phone, etc. but don't mention a television.
  • rooftop59
    edited May 26
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    We are having trouble determining if a TV (I think he's getting a Hisense) will stream directly to a pair of active speakers. Anyone know? The specs that I looked at specify computer, phone, etc. but don't mention a television.

We would need to know the model number. Might connect to Bluetooth sound devices, but those can always be glitchy. I would explain to him that if he wants the system to work consistently, get a small receiver and passive speakers...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jimbo18
    rooftop59 wrote: »

We would need to know the model number. Might connect to Bluetooth sound devices, but those can always be glitchy. I would explain to him that if he wants the system to work consistently, get a small receiver and passive speakers...

Yeah, that's what I have been advocating but he was looking for as simple as possible. He's decided to hold off till the TV is mounted and we do some more research. Hopefully he will come around to the need for a receiver. Plus if he goes to passive speakers, there are a LOT more choices available.

Thanks.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    That's gonna be a noisy roof when it rains.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Jimbo18
    muncybob wrote: »
    That's gonna be a noisy roof when it rains.

Yeah, it will. On the other hand, hanging out at the pool during a rainstorm probably won't be high on their list of things to do.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,933

Would avoid BT for this setup, seem to always run into issues with latency/lip sync issues when BT and video are involved.
  • Jimbo18
    Clipdat wrote: »

Would avoid BT for this setup, seem to always run into issues with latency/lip sync issues when BT and video are involved.

I agree. I think he's going to come around to the idea of a stereo receiver and a pair of passive speakers. That will open up a lot more choices for him for one thing. He's going to hang the new TV and then decide where to mount the speakers.

Thanks for the input everyone.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    If you can find a pair of Niles OS20 speakers, grab them. I have 2 pairs and they have stood the test of time(and weather). Good bass for outdoor environs.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.