How do I connect another 4 ohm speaker in series or parallel?

blueskies
blueskies Posts: 33
I don't know if this is possible or not, but I have a pioneer elite sc05. I currently have seven Polk LSI15 speakers connected to all seven channels, but I would like to connect one more.

I have no idea what series in parallel connecting mean, but is it possible to connect another 4 ohm speaker if the receivers channels are all used up?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,590
    edited May 18
    Skipping right over the begged question Why do you want to do this?!? ;)

Series vs. parallel is simple.
    gc9e7wqh9a9r.png
    If the speakers to be so wired are identical:
    series connection doubles the impedance load seen by that channel's amplifier.
    parallel connection halves the impedance load seen by that channel's amplifier.
    Two 4 ohm speakers in series = 8 ohm load (nominally)
    Two 4 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohm load (nominally)
    The latter could be troublesome or disastrous depending on the amplifier.
    All this being said: Why the heck do you want to do this?!?!?????????
    There is no good reason. :#
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    Aside from that....7 lsi15's on one receiver ? Your not hearing anything close as to what those speakers are capable of.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    tonyb wrote: »
    Aside from that....7 lsi15's on one receiver ? Your not hearing anything close as to what those speakers are capable of.

We've been getting some weird questions lately. :o
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/200353/has-anyone-tried-two-pairs-of-front-speakers-does-it-produce-a-fuller-sound-stage/p1
  • blueskies
    tonyb wrote: »

I don't know if I am, but all of them are in a bedroom setup. the pair of rears are 1 foot behind me, the pair of surrounds are 3 feet next to me, the pair of fronts are 9 feet from me and the last one is in the corner across from the bed to feel in the emptiness.

Given the close proximity of the speakers, they get extremely loud and they sound fine for the room they are in.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    The Pioneer SC05 was only rated for 6 ohm loads unlike later iterations of Class D amplification in Pioneer receivers. Also only has 7 channels of amplification.

Also only had 7.1 channel preouts.

If the purpose is to power width speakers a different receiver that supports processing for width speakers should be considered. It's possible to use a signal splitter from the front preouts to a separate amplifier but that's a hack job at best. The SC05 can't handle that by itself.

The LSi15s have a tweeter that presents a difficult load for amplifiers in most receivers without damage even when properly configured. A different receiver with more preouts to accommodate width speakers, more modern processing, and a separate amplifier would be the right solution.
  • blueskies
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The Pioneer SC05 was only rated for 6 ohm loads unlike later iterations of Class D amplification in Pioneer receivers. Also only has 7 channels of amplification.

Also only had 7.1 channel preouts.

If the purpose is to power width speakers a different receiver that supports processing for width speakers should be considered. It's possible to use a signal splitter from the front preouts to a separate amplifier but that's a hack job at best. The SC05 can't handle that by itself.

The LSi15s have a tweeter that presents a difficult load for amplifiers in most receivers without damage even when properly configured. A different receiver with more preouts to accommodate width speakers, more modern processing, and a separate amplifier would be the right solution.

Yes, I'm trying to add a width speaker.

I have had my eyes on the sc75 for awhile.

Hmm.......
  • Emlyn
    Fortunately receivers that support what you're trying to do exist for not much money now on the used market. Add some separate amplification for the main and center speaker and you'd be set for a long time.
  • blueskies
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Fortunately receivers that support what you're trying to do exist for not much money now on the used market. Add some separate amplification for the main and center speaker and you'd be set for a long time.

Yeah I'll upgrade the receiver.

I'm curious though. Do I need an amplifier if the speakers already get very loud and I don't hear any distortion?
  • mhardy6647
    You're probably stressing the multichannel amplifier(s) you have now to the point that their working lives are being shortened. So, my guess would be, yes -- at least eventually.
  • Emlyn
    You'll get better performance out of the speakers with separate amplification. The Class D amps in the more recent Pioneer receiver models can handle 4 ohm loads without major issues though. Running 8 LSi15s is asking a lot from any receiver but the main front three speakers are the most active.