Going to look at these 10bs today, worth it?

Options
I will be going in a couple of hours to look at these 10s, they want $150. Seems like the price is just OK - stands included, no grills and pic is not great but those are SL1000s (silver face), not peerless (black face) correct?

If the cabinets were mint the price may be OK, but it does look like screws a bit rusty, some mottling on the rear surface, etc. leads me to think not.

uzfv6gywjark.jpg

Comments?

Comments

• RTally
    RTally Posts: 15
    Options
    If all the drivers work and the cones for the mids move smoothly without any scratching noise, I would buy them, even though I already have a pair with the peerless tweeters.

The asking price is less than I see them sell for in my area. If you want a pristine pair, I would expect to pay at least double the ask.

The drivers are going to have to be pulled to epoxy the magnets, so the screws can be easily cleaned up or replaced with machine screws and hurricane nuts.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,689
    Options
  • ajt528
    ajt528 Posts: 31
    Options
    subkron wrote: »

Comments?

Those have been up for a while. I saw those at least 2 - 3 months ago when I first started looking for 7’s.
    RTA 8t and Denon DCD-860 (Both bought new in 1990); Monitors: 7A; 7; 5JR; Mini Monitors (Broken); PSW 250; CS245; F/X 300i; Rialto 600; HK 6500; Denon AVR-1300X; JDS Labs O2 Headphone Amp and Subjective3; Grado SR225i;
  • subkron
    subkron Posts: 64
    Options
    Saw them, passed on them. All drivers rubbing but not frozen. A bit of rust on screws. Located in garage facing wall, he spun it around on cement floor before I could object. Cabs not in bad shape though. Were his fathers so they didn't get passed around.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,609
    Options
    Ouch to the spinning on the garage floor - were they still on the stands when he did that?!?

I'd have had a hard time stifling a groan of pain as I turned to stagger back to my car.

Hey, wait, where ya goin'? Do my armpits smell like Italian subs?!? Call me?

But yeah, probably wiser to hold out for a pair you can just put to use.

Do you have any Polk speakers currently?

The Monitor 10s are nice and were my first vintage Polk - still have them - but for presentation quality, the Monitor 11T/RTA 11T are a better choice for imaging.

I disabled signatures.
  • subkron
    subkron Posts: 64
    Options
    It was off the stand during the 180. :#

@msg I have some 7Bs that i modded up that are great, 4s modded for sound in my kitchen and two 8ts in the works.

I had 11ts and 5bs that I sold about 5 years ago due to moving.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,609
    Options
    OOF. Yeah man, that would put me right off them as well. I'm almost glad for you that the drivers were scrapey. Mighta made it a little more difficult to pass on if they were okay.

I once bought some Monitor 11Ts I should have passed on. I only bought them because they were local, and that stuff rarely shows up around here. I didn't take a close enough look since I already saw one of the passives was torn, but figured I could find a replacement.

When I got them home, I noticed one of the dust caps had been operated on. I don't recall if I even tested them. I just started taking them apart and stripped the vinyl off.

I paid too much for them, even though I got some RTi35 and CSV-something with them. They were all kinda kicked around, but it was early days and I thought it'd be fun to project them.

Luckily, I'd just picked up a nice pair of 11Ts a few weeks prior, so I do have one good set. I was in obsessive-acquisition mode at the time, wanting to outfit all my spaces and try all kindsa stuff. Now I gotta get rid of things.

As a wise man once shared, "I oughta have my head examined."

I disabled signatures.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,234
    Options
    Offer 100.00? Depends on what kind of guy you are. Sell both 1000's for 65.00 on one of the sites, you are going to want to upgrade the tweets anyway (probably). If the cabs are nice life was set above one could strip the old vinyl off and put on new veneer of your liking. At that time who cares about the bottoms. Not only that who lives at the bottom anyway. Send the two drivers to one of the guys here on the site who re aligns the magnets for free. Build a nice set across over networks. Put everything back in. Oil the cabinets real good. And you got a wonderful set of 10's an excellent project and the set of speakers anybody would love to have. Plus you save a set a vintage speakers they ain't making no more.