Cicadas raising the roof!

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,451
I don't know if they are prominent where you are but them little suckers are LOUD!

I can even hear them inside with the doors and windows shut, A/C running. They just started to emerge and make a ruckus about a week ago and they haven't even hit their peak yet.

Average 60dB noise floor outside right now. When you drive by a patch of them in the forest? I'm quite sure you raise up another 15dB.

Not many things in nature annoy me but these little buggers sure do. They are as constant as can be with their racket.

Another two weeks and they will finally STFU for another 13 years. Can't wait!

*rant over*

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Not down here in the low country but I remember one year when I lived in Northern Virginia they were so loud you could not here yourself talk. It was crazy!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Kekekekekekek!
    Zerg Rush!

5a5quupyn9to.png

from brood X in 2021 here
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,312
    edited May 6
    Options
    Dogs unfortunately seem to like the smell of dead cicadas and think they're delicious to snack on.
    Bad for them, real bad.

We had to shovel dead cicadas out of our cooling towers by the boatload in years past
    Filled a lot of 50 gallon barrels and wow do they stink 👃😩🦨

Don't let your dogs eat 'em.
    ...same applies to you
    Post edited by mrbigbluelight on
    Sal Palooza
  • treitz3
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Not down here in the low country but I remember one year when I lived in Northern Virginia they were so loud you could not here yourself talk. It was crazy!

That reminds me of one year (probably between '82 and '87) when the Cicadas came out in mass. I will say this. My Dad would drive his Oldsmobile down the road and all you heard was, "crunch". Like popcorn kernels popping in a kettle. It was so bad that hear that I couldn't even avoid them on my bike.

Think about that for a second. A bike. The tires were what? 3/4 inch thick (10 speed, not a BMX) and if I were playing Mario Brothers, I probably would have racked up 300K points just going about 1/2 a block. :*

I would estimate that at the peak of it? There were probably more than 4 or 5 per square foot on the road. Stunk like no other.

It was the only time in my 54 years on this big, blue marble I have ever seen anything like it. This was in N. Springfield, VA.

We are nowhere even remotely close to that down here in SC. I haven't even seen one on the road yet but it is memories like this that one never forgets. They were so packed up in N. VA, that about every 6 to 8", you would see the empty exuviae still clinging to the massive trees in the yard.

Come to think of it....I haven't even seen one exuviae yet anywhere down here. I guess they haven't gotten to that stage yet. They sure are noisey though.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,136
    edited May 6
    Options
    I love 'em all, be they periodic or annual!
    We don't get any of the periodic ones up here. We did see the brood X down in NoVA back in... umm... 2021 when we were visiting our son & daughter-in-law.

51203334663_be4075e047_b.jpg

51204193545_060aa9f5c5_b.jpg
    51203899704_056c317653_b.jpg

The periodic cicadas were also out when I graduated with my PhD in B-more back in May 1987, come to think of it. I took that as a good omen. :) Down in the basement, I still have a couple of the nymphal exoskeletons that my father saw fit to give our then 3-year old daughter that day. B) She wasn't particularly keen to keep them then (or now, for that matter). ;)

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,484
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    machone wrote: »

That reminds me of one year (probably between '82 and '87) when the Cicadas came out in mass. I will say this. My Dad would drive his Oldsmobile down the road and all you heard was, "crunch". Like popcorn kernels popping in a kettle. It was so bad that hear that I couldn't even avoid them on my bike.

Think about that for a second. A bike. The tires were what? 3/4 inch thick (10 speed, not a BMX) and if I were playing Mario Brothers, I probably would have racked up 300K points just going about 1/2 a block. :*

I would estimate that at the peak of it? There were probably more than 4 or 5 per square foot on the road. Stunk like no other.

It was the only time in my 54 years on this big, blue marble I have ever seen anything like it. This was in N. Springfield, VA.

We are nowhere even remotely close to that down here in SC. I haven't even seen one on the road yet but it is memories like this that one never forgets. They were so packed up in N. VA, that about every 6 to 8", you would see the empty exuviae still clinging to the massive trees in the yard.

Come to think of it....I haven't even seen one exuviae yet anywhere down here. I guess they haven't gotten to that stage yet. They sure are noisey though.

Tom

I lived between Warrenton and Fredericksburg. This had to be in the late 80s.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • treitz3
    Options
    What we would consider, "farm country" back then. Nice.

Tom
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 530
    Options
    I recall all those loud insects (more than just cicadas) when I lived down South. The jungles of Pitt County, NC... Tom, remember the kudzu bug outbreak in SC a few years ago (I was there visiting)? A little 20 below puts the hurt on them out here Idaho. No termites either for that matter.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,745
    edited May 7
    Options
    Dogs unfortunately seem to like the smell of dead cicadas and think they're delicious to snack on.
    Bad for them, real bad.

We had to shovel dead cicadas out of our cooling towers by the boatload in years past
    Filled a lot of 50 gallon barrels and wow do they stink 👃😩🦨

Don't let your dogs eat 'em.
    ...same applies to you

But chitin is a yummy neurotoxin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10094409/#:~:text=Some studies have shown that,substrate for glycan–protein interactions.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,979
    Options
    Dang, now I have to find something else for supper today.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,312
    Options
    Why do you insist on chitin in my cornflakes ? 🧐
    Sal Palooza
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,140
    Options
    I need to record these things and then plant a wifi speaker in your house 😁
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,235
    Options
    They don't really come out around Atlanta. We get the later summer cicadas during the heat of the day, and of course, at night in June/July/August, we get the katydids, which people confuse with cicadas, but they are very different.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,136
    Options
    We have katydids up here, but they don't katydid. :p They look just like the noisy kind, but they don't have anything to say.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    Tom, remember the kudzu bug outbreak in SC a few years ago?

Oh yeah. Just as annoying.

Tom