Red light camera question

Options
dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
So today I was waiting to turn left at an intersection and the light was red. The light to go straight was green so I decided to go straight instead. I put my right turn signal on and moved into the intersection to go straight and saw a bright flash so I'm pretty sure it was the red light camera. Any idea how this would go down? Is there video also that would show me going straight, or was what I did illegal anyway.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,546
    Options
    As long as the "officer" is actually watching and reviewing the content, you should be fine. I put officer in quotes, because I just recently read something about how states or cities are outsourcing this service because they don't have the police force manpower to dedicate to it, and there's some crooked stuff going on with the 3rd party service.

You're likely going to be going to prison, though. Dibs on your stuff? Got any records?
    I disabled signatures.
  • dragon1952
    Options
    Ha ha...I have a 'record' but no records. I've got a kickass stereo and some kickass guitars though.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,447
    Options
    Well, you have the right to face your accuser in a court of law. The 6th Amendment to the US Constitution guarantees the accused a right to confront the witnesses against him/her. Unless America has perverted that Constitutional right, then it is still your right. Not a privilege. A right.

Shouldn't matter if it is the police or a 3rd party contractor. Make them appear in court and answer your questions to prove your guilt or innocence to that of which you are accused.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,874
    Options
    I believe technically that is considered a failure to obey a traffic marker. I also believe 99.999% of police wouldn't stop you for it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    Options
    Really? One you're in that turn lane you can't signal and safely move out?
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,447
    Options
    Could be considered an illegal lane change because you most likely drove over a solid white line. That said, people do it all the time.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    edited May 2
    Options
    Right, yes, I agree, most people don't remember that nugget from driver's ed. For that law about not changing lanes in an intersection. I presume that solid line defines the beginning and end of the intersection.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,743
    edited May 2
    Options
    So glad my state does not allow red light cameras, or speed enforcement cameras. They passed legislation banning it.

But then, they did just pass legislation for camera enforcment of construction zones only. So who knows what they will do in the future.

I believe if the camera did not capture your face, they have no case either way. One of the reasons they aren't used here.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,102
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    So glad my state does not allow red light cameras, or speed enforcement cameras. They passed legislation banning it.

But then, they did just pass legislation for camera enforcment of construction zones only. So who knows what they will do in the future.

I believe if the camera did not capture your face, they have no case either way. One of the reasons they aren't used here.

But if it captures the license plate of the vehicle registered in your name aren’t you liable?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • WilliamM2
    edited May 2
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    But if it captures the license plate of the vehicle registered in your name aren’t you liable?

The DRIVER is liable. Not the car, at least here.

That's why it's banned here, the plates are only on the rear, so you can't see who's driving.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,874
    Options
    All that camera crap is nothing but a money grab.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WilliamM2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    All that camera crap is nothing but a money grab.

So is "most" road patrol enforcement too. My last ticket (long time ago) was a $5 fine, and $125 court costs, even though I didn't go to court, go figure. And a $35 "state filing fee". That $5 fine was $165 total.
  • dragon1952
    edited May 2
    Options
    From doing a little research on Oregon traffic law it appears that what I did is considered and illegal lane change. I could likely fight the running a red light issue though. Also, to change lanes from a left turn lane when you are first in line (I may not have mentioned that) you have to enter the intersection which I believe may be unlawful too.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,234
    edited May 3
    Options
    Here in Georgia, there was a proliferation of red light cameras in the early 2000s. Just about every municipality started installing them. Revenue was pouring into these local governments. Some people started noticing that the yellow light timing was very short on most of these, like 1 or 2 seconds. I think some of the State Legislators got nailed by tickets and next thing you know, there are new State Laws that require a minimum time of yellow light (depending on the speed limit for the road). Once those minimum yellow light times were implemented, all of a sudden, revenue dropped to the point where most of the local governments were spending more for the 3rd party service than they were earning in fines. Within a year, most were removed or simply shut down. There are a few that are still around, but you have to be really blatant to get a ticket since the yellow light is lengthy now.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited May 4
    Options
    Just paid my 32mph in a 25 school zone $65 speed camera ticket today reluctantly yeah one shouldn't speed in a school zone understand that. I have been driving that route often throughout the past years since they have gone up, never got popped before unfortunately I was the only on the road at the time had there been others I probably wouldn't of got one as keeping up with the flow of other vehicles makes it hard for them to pinpoint a particular Vehicle.

Seriously though do we need a 3/4 mile before the school and a 3/4 mile after the school zone. I will now go out of my way to avoid all these traps scattered about town. I wrote on the memo part of the check pot hole donation. To bad they didnt use there scam money to actually fix the portholes. Unfortunately when the fire Department or Police ask for the annual donations instead of handing them a few bucks here or there this year I will tell them to get a hold if the place in Ohio where all the payments go because your payment dont go to the city or state you live in. Scam is what it is.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)