Where can I buy modern tweeters for Monitor 5B's?

Options
62vauxhall
62vauxhall Posts: 20
edited April 9 in Vintage Speakers
Last year I posted about some Monitor 5B's I had just acquired. I replaced capacitors along with one woofer and JB Welded the woofer magnets in place. The woofer in one of the cabinets I got was not a Polk so I sourced one on e-bay.

I have been listening to them ever since and overall I find the high frequencies irritating. FWIW, my natural hearing has degraded and I have been using hearing aids for the past 5 years or so. At the time I obtained these speakers, I read a considerable number of recommendations to swap out the original SL2000 tweeters for a newer replacement. The reason being to tame down the highs.

Since that is something I think I can appreciate, I'd like to learn where these modern tweeters can be obtained and what the cost would be shipped to Canada. The tweeter models I saw mentioned were RD-0194 and RD-0198. I believe it is the RD-0194 I'd need for Monitor 5B's equipped with SL-2000's but I am not 100% certain.

Best Answer

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Brock, you misunderstood what the OP was saying.

OP, you have to call Polk to order parts. You want the RD0(zero)194-1. You can also buy them from The Speaker Exchange and on eBay.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited April 9
    Options
    Firstly, where did you read "a considerable number of recommendations to swap out the original SL2000 tweeters for a newer replacement"?

There is only (1) replacement that was designed to be used. RD-0194.

There are either available from Polk or Midwest Speaker Repair.

Those are the only ones I'd recommend as they were spec'd by Polk to replace the SL2000. They sound great and will transform your 5B's and get rid of the nasty high frequencies.

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/product/polk-audio-sl2000-1-inch-dome-tweeter/

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,721
    Options
    Why not install the RD-0198's?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • 62vauxhall
    Options
    I cannot say exactly where I obtained the opinions I saw last June regarding the chageover from SL2000 tweeters to the newer replacements. Neither can I say how many opinions I read. My habit for years has been Google searching subjects and following leads, links or otherwise, that may contain info on what I am curious about. What I can say is the hours I spend/waste doing so is considerable. A lot of the leads I followed were to electronic equipment forums (foreign and domestic) plus general information sites like Reddit.

The model number RD-0194 looks familiar and I beleive is what was claimed to be a drop in replacement for an SL2000. I just now checked and an RD-0194 is 8 ohm and an RD-0198 is 6 ohm. Since I replaced the stock electrolytic capacitors with new film capacitors of equivalent value, would it not be prudent to remain with an 8 ohm replacement?

Last year, I fully intended on leaving the SL2000's in place so only glanced at info about RD-0194 tweeters. But I recall it being said that they were availale directly from Polk. That no longer seems to be so because I do not see that option mentioned on the Polk website. So does that mean Mid West Speaker Repair is the sole legitimate vendor?

qak822tb42v6.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    Options
    To use the RD-0198-1 tweeter you would need to change the tweeter inductor to .27mH 0.5 ohm from the .23mH inductor you now have. You would also insert a 5.8uf cap over the tweeter resistor, which you should have changed out with the recap. The RD-0194-1 is a drop in replacement.
  • 62vauxhall
    edited April 9
    Options
    I just finished a phone call with Polk Customer Support. The representative I spoke with confirmed stock of RD-0194-1 tweeters was available and quoted a per unit price of $78CAD.

I was further informed that there was no tax and no shipping to my address in Canada.

I expressed doubt at this and was then told that whatever computer screen he was looking at said "no tax & no shipping". He speculated that the tweeters were likely being shipped from somewhere within Canada.

Despite my skepticism, I placed an order based on the assurance that $156CAD will be total charged to my card.

Now I am anticipating notification of some kind that my order cannot be processed due to some error on their part.

The difference between that price and the price I saw on The Speaker Exchange website was substantial.

$85CAD + $23CAD for shipping = $108CAD
    vs
    $78CAD with no shipping.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    It should go through.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Polk gave you the member discount.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• 62vauxhall
    Options
    A members discount was unexpected. I had read of it but thought it applied to finished product like a new speaker pair or something.

I hope new tweeters are the answer. The given ETA was two weeks
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 253
    Options
    May want to upgrade the old resistors on your crossovers while you're waiting on the replacement tweeters.
  • 62vauxhall
    Options
    Those are not the original (old) resistors in the photo. I changed them when installing the new capacitors. But they are the same value and type as the originals.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    62vauxhall wrote: »
    Those are not the original (old) resistors in the photo. I changed them when installing the new capacitors. But they are the same value and type as the originals.

Why would you not use better resistors?
  • F1nut
    Options

So, you replaced crap with crap. You can do better than that. Get some Vishay-Mills.

President of Club Polk

• 62vauxhall
    edited April 9
    Options
    Simple answer - cost. I'm on a fixed income and have a negative cash flow. When this rehab began last June, I was not expecting my investment to exceed the speaker system's value. So far, new caps, grille pegs and a replacement woofer cost about $200CAD. I was only able to entertain the new tweeters because I received an income tax refund last month.

I could have ordered Vishay Mills 5W 2.7 ohm wirewounds from Parts Connexion, where I got the capacitors, but could not justify the cost. Ergo, I ordered the same type of resistor that the speakers left the factory with.

Out of curiosity, I have just checked DigiKey ca and Mouser ca but neither have Vishay Mills 5W 2.7 ohm resistors. But Parts Connexion still does at a shipped cost of nearly $40CAD for two of them.

That is a lot for two 5W resistors is it not?

I could order them at this time but is it necessary? What sonic difference would they make?

• F1nut
    Options
    Looks like $10.75 CAD each, so $18.50 for shipping two resistors...ouch!

Maybe the next time you have a little extra cash on hand order them. In the meantime, enjoy.

President of Club Polk

• 62vauxhall
    edited April 10
    Options
    Well, screw it I thought so I ordered them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,085
    Options
    Well, screw it I thought so I ordered them.

That's the spirit! You'll fit in great here with the rest of us!
    B)
    ;)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Brock, you misunderstood what the OP was saying.

OP, you have to call Polk to order parts. You want the RD0(zero)194-1. You can also buy them from The Speaker Exchange and on eBay.

I guess I don't see the misunderstanding. Doesn't matter he has parts on the way.

My link is for the sale of Polk RD0-194's

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • 62vauxhall
    Options
    I received the Vishay-Mills resistors within a few days and installed them. RD-0194-1 tweeters took longer, they arrived today.

Before swapping them in for the SL2000's, I thought I'd ask a precautionary question.

The tweeter wires inside the enclosure are white and black. The black wire is attached to the SL2000 tweeter terminal indentified with a + sign embossed into plastic. For whatever reason, I thought that a black wire would be common (-) and a white wire would be +.

The RD-0194-1 has no such marking but one of the terminals is coated with red ink. My assumption is that this is equivalent to a + symbol.

Is it correct then to connect the enclosure's black wires to positive tweeter terminals? Or have those been reversed at some earlier time? Perhaps it does no matter but my concern is that the woofer and tweeter be in phase.

It may not have helped but when I had the crossovers out to install the resistors, I did not think to examine the leads going to the drivers.

z7psucamydvd.jpg
    yygck4jg98x9.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Black wire to red tab positive
    White wire to silver tab negative
  • F1nut
    Options
    Vintage Polk speaker wire colors.
    Black or blue = positive
    White or green = negative

President of Club Polk

• 62vauxhall
    Options
    Thanks, much obliged.

Tweeters will be mounted tonight but I'll not listen to them till tomorrow. A neighbour a wall away goes to work during the day. I'm retired so can make noise when he's gone.