Record Store Day

Options
pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,174
edited April 20 in Music & Movies
Just wondering if any Polkies attended Record Store Day today. If so, please let us know what RSD titles you picked up and what were your impressions of the music and sound quality of the RSD records that you purchased.

I went to my local record store about half an hour after it opened at 9am and there were 30 or so people ahead of me in line. It is the first time I have lined up in the morning on RSD. It is a small store so they only let about 20 people in the store at one time. I only had to wait 25 minutes to get in the store. They only had one table (about 8 or 9 crates) with RSD titles but I ended up getting everything I wanted.

Sun Ra - At the Showcase: Live in Chicago, 1976-1977 (2 LP)

Sun Ra - Pink Elephants on Parade
This is an lp of Sun Ra doing Disney songs! I was going to pass on this one but the store had it priced a few dollars below RSD retail price and, since I have every Sun Ra RSD release to date, I had to get it for my Sun Ra collection. Plus, it is limited to only 1800 copies - on pink vinyl, of course.

The Doors - Live at Konserthuset, Stockholm, September 20, 1968 (3 LP)

Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans (mono)

I have not had time to listen to any of them yet but will soon crack open a cold Modelo and start listening to some music!

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited April 20
    Options
    s4i9agibw4bq.jpg

The only for Record Store Day releases that intrested me was this Iggy & The Stooges as The Frank Zappa release was already taken.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I'm interested in the Motörhead RSD album but I worked today and don't feel like driving to the store, I might buy it online.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,623
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    s4i9agibw4bq.jpg

The only for Record Store Day releases that intrested me was this Iggy & The Stooges as The Frank Zappa release was already taken.

How does the blue vinyl sound?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    Options
    Better than expected. I was expecting Raw Power, sounds heads and shoulders above that.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pglbook
    edited April 21
    Options
    I had a chance to listen to 3 of my RSD purchases last night and here are my impressions of each. I still have not listened to the Sun Ra, Pink Elephants on Parade.

Sun Ra - At the Showcase: Live in Chicago, 1976-1977 (2 LP).
    I have a good-sized sun Ra collection (about 60 records, 60 CDs, some box sets, etc.) and this is already one of my favorites. It is that good. I did not know what to expect regarding sound quality since, as all Sun Ra fans know, sound quality can be hit or miss on Sun Ra releases. But the sound quality on this is wonderful. And the music is fantastic. John Gilmore is on fire throughout. The mid 70's is one of my favorite periods of Sun Ra and this is exceptional. And, as a bonus, there are quite a few songs on here that I have never heard before and do not have on any other release (Sun Ra's output is that large and varied). If anyone is even remotely interested in Sun Ra, this is highly recommended. It is excellent all around - great packaging, a very nice large booklet with informative essays and reminiscences, with wonderful photos, great music and sound quality.

The Doors - Live at Konserthuset, Stockholm, September 20, 1968 (3 LP).
    I only had a chance to play the first record but, so far, I think this is another great release. I was a little hesitant before putting it on because I had read a review on the shf yesterday in which someone remarked that the sound on this is bootleg quality. But my fears were unfounded. I do not know where that bootleg comment came from but the sound on this is very good to excellent. There are one or two songs on the first record in which Morrison's vocals are too loud but, apart from that, the sound is excellent. And the band really rocks and has an edge to them during this concert. It is a great listen and highly recommended it you are a fan of the Doors. I am really glad I picked this on up and am looking forward to spinning records 2 and 3.

Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans (mono).
    Fantastic all around. Bill Evans, all analogue cut by Kevin Gray, mono. That is really all that needs to be said. I was not a big Bill Evans fan until about 3 years ago (of course I had the Village Vanguard Recordings and a few other things but I had not gotten deep into his catalogue) when I picked up one of the RSD live releases at that time and now have become a big fan and have picked up a lot of his music. This is another great release - wonderful music and great sound quality and pressing. This is mono and sounds great. It is listed as a RSD first, I believe, and, if past history shows, that means that they may release a non-limited version of this in stereo in the near future (they did that with a few other recent RSD titles...Art Pepper, Chet Baker, etc.). But this may be the only way to get the mono version. Time will tell, of course.

• pglbook
    edited April 24
    Options
    I was able to order a few RSD titles online this past week that I was not able to find in my local store on Saturday's RSD. I have the following 3 titles on their way to me and will post reviews once I receive them and get a chance to listen to the records.

Thin Lizzy: Live at Hammersmith, 11/16/76 (2 LP)
    This is one of the shows from which songs were taken for the classic Live and Dangerous record (one of my all-time favorite live rock albums) so I am looking forward to listening to this. It has gotten excellent reviews on the SHF RSD forum.

Mal Waldron/Steve Lacy: The Mighty Warrior: Live in Antwerp (2 LP)
    Although I have heard of both musicians, I was not familiar with this release. I am a big jazz fan and this title has been getting rave reviews, both for the music and sound quality, on the SHF RSD forum. I found a copy for 20% less than RSD retail price from an online store so I went ahead and ordered it.

Su Ra: Inside the Light World: Sun Ra Meets the OVC (2 LP)
    I grabbed the other 2 Sun Ra RSD titles at my local store on Saturday but forgot that this one, which was only on the RSD UK/Europe list, was also coming out this RSD. Luckily I noticed that Bull Moose Records had it in stock a couple of days ago and ordered a copy. I have every Sun Ra RSD release to date so I had to get this one. This is put out by Strut and every Sun Ra release they have put out in recent years has been great so I am confident this one will also be a winner.