Parasound 2205AT died…replacing with a Rotel RMB-1585. Thoughts?

Options
Ethancf
Ethancf Posts: 456
My Parasound served me since 1997 and it finally gave up. I still might get it repaired, but in the meantime, I ordered a Rotel RMB-1585 to power my Polk LSi system.

Did I make a mistake or is this a worthy change?

Thanks,
Jason
THE SYSTEM
Polk Audio LSi25 Mains
Polk LSiF/X Surrounds
Polk Audio LSiC Center
Definitive Technology PowerField 1800 Subwoofer
Parasound Classic 7100 Pre/Pro
Parasound 2205A Amplifier
Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blu-ray Player
Monster HTS 2600
Microsoft XBox 360
Samsung PN64D550 64" Plasma

Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    Worthy. I consider them to be equivalent in function although designs are different. Rotel makes good amps since they got off the Class D bandwagon. The main difference is the Rotel MKII version uses two transformers and smaller heat sinks than the Parasound product. It appears the Rotel uses four internal cooling fans to make up the different cooling potential.

It's likely the Parasound amp is biased slightly more in Class A but I don't see any published evidence of that. Not an issue in real world use. Power output from the Rotel is slightly less capable but again not a real world use issue.

The other obvious option would have been a Parasound Halo A51. Personally, I would have carefully considered the A52+ with LSi speakers above the Rotel amp. That has more than enough high current output for those speakers.

They both weight above 80 lbs.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,485
    Options
    ^^^ man, always such great info.

Timely post - my 2205 went T.U. two weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's just the power switch or a slow start relay. I had a similar thing happen with a sub a year or so ago. They both make this rattley-vibrating sound when powering on.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    The HCA amps were fantastic and the Halo line didn't really have to change much. Casework, cosmetics, some signal path tweaks, and a few higher quality parts was all.
  • Ethancf
    Ethancf Posts: 456
    Options
    I just received the Rotel, and man is it a beast! I’m still dialing it in, but it’s every bit as strong as my 2205, and a bit warmer sounding.

Integrates fantastic with the LSi25’s, LSiC, and LSiFX’s.

Jason
    THE SYSTEM
    Polk Audio LSi25 Mains
    Polk LSiF/X Surrounds
    Polk Audio LSiC Center
    Definitive Technology PowerField 1800 Subwoofer
    Parasound Classic 7100 Pre/Pro
    Parasound 2205A Amplifier
    Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blu-ray Player
    Monster HTS 2600
    Microsoft XBox 360
    Samsung PN64D550 64" Plasma