SDA-SRS 2.3 or 2.3TL?

Options
Hello all. Its been a while since I posted last, but I have been reading most of your posts throughout the year.

Last year I picked up a pair of SDA-SRS 2.3's from Craig's List, and I am just now getting around to checking them out (too many projects and work always seems to get in the way).

IMG_0664.jpg

The CL ad said that they were SDA-SRS 2.3's, but when I went to look at them they looked like 2.3TL's (they had the SL3000 tweeters, the bass brace insert in the back, no donut drivers, etc.), and were in generally good shape, except for the grill cloth.

IMG_0665.jpg
IMG_0666.jpg

When I looked at the SDA-SRS applique on the back to see if they had a 2.3TL serial number (like I have seen on others) the factory serial number box was blank (?) and someone had applied a serial number decal in the same location. Both speakers had the same serial number decal with the same serial number (that seemed strange).

IMG_0667.jpg

They seller was a really nice guy, and we had many of the same interests. He was asking $800/pr, but he was happy to sell them to me for $400/pr (which I thought was a good price for a pair of 2.3's, but a great price for a pair of 2.3TLs).

Today I removed the tweeters and the mids to look to see what they were.

Right Speaker
Tweeters: SL3000 dated OCT 17 1989
Stereo Mids: MW6510 dated OCT 19 1989
SDA drivers: MW6510 dated OCT 19 1989

IMG_0663_1.jpg
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg

Left Speaker
Tweeters: SL3000 dated NOV 17 1990
Stereo Mids: MW6510 dated NOV 15 1990
SDA drivers: MW6510 (M11t) Nov 13 1990

IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg

Seemed strange that there would be a pair of SDA-SRS 2.3TLs where the individual speakers were built a year apart?

Looking to the experts to confirm that these are in fact SDA-SRS 2.3TLs before I do any mods.
HT
Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
2 Channel (Living Room)
Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
2 Channel (Office)
Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
2 Channel (Garage)
Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    You defenatly have a pair of 2.3TL's. ALL the mid-driver in the TL models were 6510's. The date on the drivers doesn't always mean the date the speaker was built, more likely when the drivers themselves were received and tested.

A lot times the actual date of mfg. will be stamped on the inside of the cabinet in the neighborhood of the x-over.

Have no idea on why the Model # was not printed on the back sticker and why they would share the same serial #.

I do know that you got a killer deal at $400. Congrats.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I would have paid the $800 on the spot, nice deal.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,639
    Options
    Very nice deal! Enjoy.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,828
    Options
    Steve, I would very carefully compare the crossovers to the schematic to see if they match. Also, the crossovers should have a sticker on them with the model and date.

Whatever those serial numbers are from, it's not any SDA model, so something is up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• 250GTLusso
    Options
    Thanks All. Looking forward to listening to these jewels!

F1nut, I will take a picture of the crossover and compare to the schematic, and share with the general audience.

I peeled off the serial number stickers, and there was no Polk factory serial number under the sticker. Anyone ever seen a Polk SDA speaker with no serial numbers?? I think those serial number sticker were from a prior owner (perhaps a business?).

This will be my first venture into the abyss of modding Polk SDAs!
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    $400 for SRS 2.3TLs? Wow. Just wow. Congrats! $800 would be cheap.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,828
    Options
    The serial numbers are on a sticker. Someone removed yours.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• honestaquarian
    Options
    Lets hope they ain't stolen! >:)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,606
    Options
  • rainbow1919
    rainbow1919 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just finished restoring a pair of the srs sda signature series 2.3tl, they do require a fairly large room to open up and breath and for the sda feature to work optimally, they also need a fair amount of power to get the most out of them (200 plus watts) you can use more modest watts with them but you wont hear what they are really capable of.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    I just finished restoring a pair of the srs sda signature series 2.3tl, they do require a fairly large room to open up and breath and for the sda feature to work optimally, they also need a fair amount of power to get the most out of them (200 plus watts) you can use more modest watts with them but you wont hear what they are really capable of.

I didn't know this, thanks for sharing, are they still for sale??