Air Conditioner Options

Options
Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,073
I have windows that slide left to right instead of up and down. My bedroom window opens 32". I currently have a portable air conditioner with the plastic hose that goes to the window but it takes up a lot of space especially for an apartment and it's kind of loud since the compressor is right in the room with you. What are my options? I see something called a casement air conditioner but there's barely any models. Honestly they all kind of look like the same air conditioner just rebranded. Is there a way to put a regular air conditioner in this window or should I just get one of these 10,000 BTU casement units which is the highest BTU rating this style even comes in.

https://www.amazon.com/Midea-Arctic-Slide-Casement-Conditioner/dp/B0B3G4GWQZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?crid=YM22MU8V3XAW&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.wVeB61T7iFSsELtXJLNB2QV2dRv77PZibX8yksi05nr57GnMQxPfxbs_l3_Z_QuXr0IWdUARfKAPx1zqeNQ3QLMB4lCkCXxI8CghfcN-a_d3gCzzEfAzWyGqspkOZ58E-50JVG6gwbTWSYxX6PCe3T0zXYHSrvaQnRuM0hn2duWTZfWKFEC0rmtr-Bmp2syloKrys9g9EPvDCe7OxpcHPA.UiOroaGWjwxamjFMpv2X2gcKztWDFsJJIFl6YX7VtXs&dib_tag=se&keywords=casement+window+air+conditioner&qid=1713145183&sprefix=caseme,aps,166&sr=8-16

zuqbb1uuec1m.jpg
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    Josh, will the casement unit fill the open window space at the top? If not, you'll have to fill it with something like a cut to size piece of plywood.

If you need to fill the space with a casement unit you might as well get a standard unit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    Options
    Do you own? Any options to install a mini-spilit system? That would quieter and much more efficient.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,615
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Do you own? Any options to install a mini-spilit system? That would quieter and much more efficient.

Rents, chances are that is not an option.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,288
    edited April 15
    Options
    Whynter portable AC/Heat units

https://www.whynter.com/product-category/air-comfort/portable-air-conditioners/

Quiet, relatively efficient, freeze your biscuits of if necessary.
    Don't need to empty any drain pan

Set up an appropriate plywood "frame" for your window. Will require two 6" circular holes in the plywood to attach the unit's flex ducts.
    Has a remote 🤗
    Cool in the aummer, heat un the winter.

Was going to attach a couple of pics but can't
    😡🤬
    Here's a link though

https://www.whynter.com/product-category/air-comfort/portable-air-conditioners/

Post edited by mrbigbluelight on
    Sal Palooza
  • Nightfall
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Josh, will the casement unit fill the open window space at the top? If not, you'll have to fill it with something like a cut to size piece of plywood.

If you need to fill the space with a casement unit you might as well get a standard unit.

I believe the casement units come with something that fills in the area from the top of the AC to the top of the window.

How would a regular unit be held in the window, don't they use the window frame of an up & down opening window to hold in place? It would open up way more options.

Everyone seems to be using these portable deals these days. I question their efficiency since they're ultimately creating negative air pressure in the room which means you're sucking in air from the cracks under around your doors & windows pulling in hot outside air unless you have one that has two tubes going to the window making it even more cumbersome.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited April 15
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    For a regular double-hung window unit, you'd either have to rely on your MacGyvered (plywood, etc.) 'replacement panel' for the open window to help 'trap' the A/C in place (sounds like an opportunity for an entertaining but unfortunate short YT video :( ), or - I would think - use one of those window A/C mounting braces (brackets) of the type sold mostly to support large window A/Cs.

This kind of deal: https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-Universal-Heavy-Duty-Air-Conditioner-Support-AC-160/100123126

qkpwiw72tpme.png
  • Nightfall
    Options
    That looks nice and it's better than what I have since it has the dual hose setup, mine pretty much has to run non stop. Bad for the electric bill, not an ideal amount of noise, and just takes up a bunch of precious apartment space in very inconvenient spots right in front of my windows.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    It is too bad you cannot go with a mini-split. They can be extremely efficient and at least the ones we've had before & have now (all Mitsubishis -- we had an A/C unit in MA; the current ones are heat pumps) are all extremely quiet (both the inside & outside units). The inside unit can be noisy when asked to really blast air -- but (at least where we live) we very rarely need to run it that way except to cool down a hot house (or heat up a cold one).

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    The Whynter units do NOT use inside air over the condenser. That's what the dual duct hoses are for .
    They are relatively efficient and quiet. Look nice too
    ....kind of remind me of.. me.
    🤗
    Sal Palooza
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    Nightfall is correct.
    They make a/c’s for horizontal sliding windows, they are called casement window a/c.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    edited April 17
    Options
    The portable units suck unless you get the right one.
    The single exhaust units do not work well, while you’re blowing the heated exhaust outside you’re sucking the same amount of outside, hot, air back into the home.
    Portable a/c’s with two hoses are preferred. One is the exhaust but the other is pulling in air from the outside.
    That way you’re not creating a low pressure zone in your home.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    ^^^Yep. 👍
    Sal Palooza