WTB: Monitor 10A MW6500 Drivers

Options
I'm looking for a pair of MW6500 Drivers. The speakers are Audio Monitor 10A ca 1979. Pic is of one I removed. Thank you. tdqm0qm9thnd.jpeg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    Options
    Keep an eye on eBay.

We've been having scammer problems here lately, so if you get a PM from a brand new person you can bet they are a scammer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pescadolips
    pescadolips Posts: 9
    edited April 13
    Options
    Hey, thanks for taking the time to provide a heads up. Your are the first real person to reach out to me other than the admin (who was great). And you are spot on with that. Within minutes of posting, the same emailer (brand new to the forum like me) sent me 4 emails all with the same message directing me to an email off the forum that was 'a friend' of the posters who had what I wanted. The grammar was slightly off and the whole thing had that scammy smell clinging to it. I reported it to the admins, along with a screenshot. And I do have a notification set on ebay. Nothing in the last month. Seems these things are getting to be hens teeth. I may end up buying donor speakers the next time I get to the lower 48. Much appreciate your posts btw. This last year I've been lurking and reading as much as I can about the monitor 10's since I own a couple pairs that need some love. I built fully adjustable tilt/swivel brackets for the speakers that don't harm the speaker in any way. I'll be posting a youtube video link to that which goes through the process step by step as I'm not sure I can post the video directly on the forum. Been meaning to upload that for a while as a means of giving back. 4zhgqtgcv5wj.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    Thanks for reporting the scammer.

That model driver and a few others are hard to come by, so the donor idea is a good one.

That's an impressive bracket set up you've made. No problem posting a YouTube video link. Is that a workshop environment?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pescadolips
    Options
    Ok good validation on the donor speakers. I was starting to lose hope through other avenues. Ha...no that's our unfinished house. Building it and living in it at the same time. I'm a carpenter by trade.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Very good, my hat is off to you.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,936
    Options
    That is awesome!! What keeps it from falling forward??
  • pescadolips
    Options
    Thanks. cl4w56spb3f9.jpeg
    There's an adjustable bracket on top as part of the assembly. All metal parts that contact the speaker have 60mil epdm rubber (commercial roofing job scraps) glued on with contact adhesive to protect the speaker veneer. I'll get a video link up in the next few days and I'll notify you as I break all the components down in the link for anyone who wants to fab one of these for larger heavier speakers.
  • pescadolips
    Options
    I weigh approx 230 and hung off the base support so the approx safety factor is about 5x. heh.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    edited April 13
    Options
    Nice fabrication there! I had my 7Bs hanging by chains from the ceiling in my college dorm. Holes now carefully plugged and camoflaged.

This one is very old. Probably 43rd week in 1976. Parted out 7s that had the Audax dome tweeters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305488480315
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    edited April 14
    Options
    If you do Facebook, this dude (maybe a member here too… 🤷🏻‍♂️) on the Polk Audio Enthusiasts page was selling a pair of (early) silver basket 6500’s back in December. For $20 ea. No “this has been sold” comments so they might still be available. Good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1525670331061675/permalink/3193729790922379/

1eqnpxzhz7dv.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • pescadolips
    Options
    Hey JayMX. Thank you so much for taking the time to pass that on. I've reached out to that fella via FB. We'll see how it goes. Have a good eve.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    If he doesn't get back to you immediately you might want to jump on these which just popped up in my saved search:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285815500430
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pescadolips
    pescadolips Posts: 9
    edited April 16
    Options
    Popped up this morning for me too! Thank you! The FB fella still had his so I'm buying those. Funny how this works sometimes. Haven't seen a 6500 anywhere for months. Glad to finally have a line on these. Thanks to all who took the time to help.