Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    I'm not conspiratorial by nature but seems like if someone wanted to do some harm to this country on the cheap, that bridge was a big, fat, juicy target. No protection which is just negligent considering the ramifications. I wonder how many other similarly easy, bang-for-the-buck targets are out there. Will be interesting to find out how that ship managed to hit it.

The Chesapeake Bay bridges have no dolphins, only a bit of a bumper around the base of the main piers that would not stop an out of control cargo ship from taking the bridge down. It's criminal. Every cargo ship or cruise liner must pass under the bridges coming to or going from the Port of Baltimore.
    m75xzyhcfaal.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    edited March 26
    Options
    Not sure saying the ship had a checkered safety record is fair. All ships have infractions during inspections, no one knows the root cause of the loss of power at this point, but the suspicion is certainly a loss of power resulting in loss of control of the steering gear. Let the inspectors and investigators do their job and figure out who or what is at fault. Being a career maritime officer, complete loss of power at sea is not as uncommon as you think, this just happened at the worst possible location and by the time power was restored, the crew had no time or space to prevent the outcome.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    The news is reporting this ship was involved in another collision, along with being flagged for “hull damage impairing seaworthiness,” and was flagged for an issue categorized under propulsion and auxiliary machinery, and sub categorized as “gauges, thermometers, etc.”

Nobody is jumping to conclusions, only that there were prior issues. On 11 July 2016, Dali collided with the berth at the container terminal in the Port of Antwerp, Belgium, causing significant damage to the vessel's stern and transom. The berth was also damaged and closed for cargo handling operations.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    I'm not conspiratorial by nature but seems like if someone wanted to do some harm to this country on the cheap, that bridge was a big, fat, juicy target. No protection which is just negligent considering the ramifications. I wonder how many other similarly easy, bang-for-the-buck targets are out there. Will be interesting to find out how that ship managed to hit it.

One possibility...

6fde2m1dbotp.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    All six missing presumed dead. Search operations suspended.

https://bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68663318

Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 26
    Options
    Every single one of those six died a hero's death. Getting traffic stopped before the ship took it down saved many, many lives. God bless them and their families always.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Options
    According to The Baltimore Banner, the six missing men are from El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico. The Guatemala Consulate in Maryland has confirmed that two of the missing are presumed to be from Guatemala.

Alea jacta est!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    edited March 26
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    edited March 26
    Options
    Something that I arely do:
    Reported.

WTF
    Sal Palooza
  • audioluvr
    edited March 26
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Among the most disgusting thing ever posted on this forum… reported and ignored…

• audioluvr
    Options
    I made my point.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I made my point.

Interesting that you have no guts to stand behind your ignorance... cowardice on display.

• stangman67
    edited March 26
    Options
    The news is reporting this ship was involved in another collision, along with being flagged for “hull damage impairing seaworthiness,” and was flagged for an issue categorized under propulsion and auxiliary machinery, and sub categorized as “gauges, thermometers, etc.”

Nobody is jumping to conclusions, only that there were prior issues. On 11 July 2016, Dali collided with the berth at the container terminal in the Port of Antwerp, Belgium, causing significant damage to the vessel's stern and transom. The berth was also damaged and closed for cargo handling operations.

My point is that it is highly likely that none of those previous incidents or “infractions” has any relation to the incident at hand. So while it is a good flash in the pan for people to lock in on and for news reporters to draw attention, is all quite inconsequential for the event that happened today.

Something that hasn’t been discussed much is the fact there were Maryland pilots on board during the allision. Those guys know the waterway like the back of their hands, if there was anything that could have been done to prevent this navigationally, they would have been all over it.

I’ve lost steering and propulsion in precarious positions, and it is no fun and hard to plan how to react in all situations. I’ll be interested in what the investigation finds in regards to immediate actions by bridge personnel upon loss of power. IE how quickly was the decision made to drop the anchors once the allision with the bridge was imminent.

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    As far as I've been able to find out, yes, 2 Baltimore based pilots were on the ship .
  • stangman67
    edited March 26
    Options
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    As far as I've been able to find out, yes, 2 Baltimore based pilots were on the ship .

Oh they were definitely on board, the pilot boarding ground in Baltimore (also where pilots disembark) is well south of the Key bridge. In most cases pilots stay on board all the down until the ship’s leaving Baltimore are abeam Cape Henry off of the coast of Virginia Beach

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Please do not rely on the "news" to tell you the truth. Rely on time itself (real news) revealing itself.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    ^^^Proj. Mockingbird---> Church hearings.^^^
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mrbigbluelight
    edited March 26
    Options
    Stangman67, I'm ex-Navy so I'd like to say that I personally appreciate your informed and intelligent insights.

Now let me say that I am not sugesting a conspiracy.
    Again I am NOT
    Finally I am NOT.
    That's 3 times.

Now nothing you have stated is incorrect. Period.

However, the view that there were two pilots on the bridge is actually irrelevant. Jesus Christ could have been on the bridge and the boat would have hit the bridge on the loss of power.
    Reason: it doesn't matter who's steering the boat if you lose steerage.

But they could have, should have, dropped anchor to stop the boat
    Very readonable, intelligent opinion. But even that relatively "simple" operation isn't accomplished by flipping a simple toggle switch, so that takes time and what tonnage, what inertia
    does that ship possess ?

It would be possible in my GUESS that no matter who is on the bridge, no matter how well trained they are, and how quickly they react that it would be possible to simply disable the ship by one person below decks causing the ship to hit the bridge.

Again, NOT saying this is what caused the incident.
    And again, I straight up appreciate your input and well informed insight

As an ex-Navy nuke RO I could tell how one can perform a CWA (cold water action) that would cause a 200 Megawatt nuclear reactor to go 2000% prompt critical power in <10 msec.
    Despite TRIPLE safety redundancy.
    So what "Can't". .."Can"
    What "Shouldn't"..."Could"
    Leave it at that as I don't need DHS knocking at my door.....again.

Sal Palooza
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 26
    Options
    They did drop anchor, but it was too late and her tonnage was nearly 100k give or take a few…

• audioluvr
    edited March 26
    Options
    The missing men were patching a pothole on the bridge. Probably simple men who came to the United States to make a better life for their families. Possibly here illegally but hoping to turn that around by working for an asphalt subcontractor for the highway department. As everyone passed them yelling to get off the bridge (in English) they thought they were telling them to get to work. So there they were, left on the bridge, alone. No one cared because they were stupid foreigners taking jobs away from Americans. Illegal aliens probably with criminal records.

This country was founded by, fought for by and helped built by foreigners.

I was raised and trained to respect all people and to always support the active Commander-in-Chief regardless of how I feel about his decisions.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• nooshinjohn
    edited March 26
    Options
    The missing men were patching a pothole on the bridge. Probably simple men who came to the United States to make a better life for their families. Possibly here illegally but hoping to turn that around by working for an asphalt subcontractor for the highway department. As everyone passed them yelling to get off the bridge (in English) they thought they were telling them to get to work. So there they were, left on the bridge, alone. No one cared because they were stupid foreigners taking jobs away from Americans. Illegal aliens probably with criminal records.

I was raised and trained to respect all people and to always support the active Commander-in-Chief regardless of how I feel about his decisions.

You cannot erase it this time… your post highlights just how ignorant you truly are. It displays your utter contempt for others and a deep seated racist attitude. Reported once again and I hope they ban you for it. Your ignorance does not belong on this forum.

• mrbigbluelight
    edited March 26
    Options
    Again, REPORTED

Here's what I sent to the mods:
    "I have no problem with what anybody says or thinks BUT I would like the ability to respond.
    Your turf, your rules, so no quarrel from me.
    I report, you decide."

So Audioluvr understand, post away.
    I would, if allowed, respond with accurate, focussed, and intelligent reasoning.
    That I don't/cant isn't up to me.
    Not my turf, not my rules.
    IMO that is lucky for you as I hate to see a grown man cry
    ....usually. 🤔🫣
    Sal Palooza
  • Kex
    Options
    … No one cared because they were stupid foreigners taking jobs away from Americans…
    Hardly, with unemployment at 50 year lows for longer than anyone can remember, but whatever… 😳

The rest is just wow. I can’t even fathom such levels of bigotry and ignorance. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    edited March 27
    Options
    Deleted

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    You obviously did not see his original posts. If you did, you would not support a word he has said since.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    edited March 27
    Options
    You obviously did not see his original posts. If you did, you would not support a word he has said since.

You are correct; I didn’t see the original. Think I’ll delete my post before it’s too late.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    What a terrible tragedy. May those who lost their lives rest in peace, and may their families find peace during this extraordinarily difficult time.
  • stangman67
    edited March 27
    Options
    Mrbigbluelight. Concur with your sentiments.

My comments on the pilots being onboard were to highlight that IF something could have been done to avoid the tragedy, it would have been, navigationally at least. Trying my best to get ahead of the inevitable person questioning the competency of the mariners involved as I have seen all over other platforms.

In general, I’m more interested in the WHY the ship lost power and the actions taken within upon the loss. From the AIS track, it is very apparent just when the first power loss happened and it was not an appreciable amount of time before the ship hit the support. So yes the anchor drop takes an amount of time from the decision to “let go of the anchor” and the human releasing the break, and that amount of time wasn’t enough to do jack or **** to prevent what happened. That doesn’t stop me from generally being interested in the decisions made by the Master and Pilots embarked. Given what I can observe, there wasn’t a whole heck of a lot that could have been done differently. Power was regained momentarily after the first loss, but there was not an appreciable course change via AIS which leads me to believe positive control of the ship was never regained prior to the allision. ALL speculation at this point.

As an aside with no bearing on the incident, I’ve been under that bridge multiple times on a YP with 30 midshipman trying to end my naval career early, and have driven over it multiple times when I taught at USNA. Very sad to see it laying in the water and

Mebigbluelight, so NUC SWO? did you have your surface command (s) west coast/east coast or elsewhere? My father is a retired NUC LDO who at one point was a CHENG on a CVN. I am just your average SWO

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    Options

WOW!!!! Just WOW!!!!

This discussion has been closed.