Connect Oppo 105 to receiver

Options
KrazyMofo24
KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
I have probably a basic setup question that I can't figure out. I have an Oppo 105 and a Marantz SR6009. I have a 5.1 setup and I'm wanting to have the oppo be the DAC and use the 7.1 output from the Oppo.

My TV has an optical out and regular HDMI ports. I'm using an apple TV as the source.
Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I have probably a basic setup question that I can't figure out. I have an Oppo 105 and a Marantz SR6009. I have a 5.1 setup and I'm wanting to have the oppo be the DAC and use the 7.1 output from the Oppo.

My TV has an optical out and regular HDMI ports. I'm using an apple TV as the source.

Multiple ways to do it. Easiest is to run the HDMI from the Apple TV to the Oppo HDMI input, then run the 7.1 analog outputs to the Marantz and the HDMI output to the TV. You could also run the Apple TV to the TV, then optical out of the TV into the Oppo, but then the crappy TV noise is phucking up your audio signal. I would go with the more direct route...

Have you tried both DACs with the same source? The Oppo might be better, but not guarantee...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    Thanks I'll try that out. I haven't had the Marantz long and I'm familiar with how the OPPO sounds. So far it's sounding good I'll probably keep it that way for now. I'm currently using the optical out but going to see if I can get the HDMI input going instead.

If I connect the apple TV to the Marantz directly will that just forward video to the TV. I have a 4k oled and want to make sure I can still get 4k and Dolby vision.

I'll try again with the oppo and 7.1 in the future I'm curious to hear with the Marantz being the preamp.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• rooftop59
    Options
    Thanks I'll try that out. I haven't had the Marantz long and I'm familiar with how the OPPO sounds. So far it's sounding good I'll probably keep it that way for now. I'm currently using the optical out but going to see if I can get the HDMI input going instead.

If I connect the apple TV to the Marantz directly will that just forward video to the TV. I have a 4k oled and want to make sure I can still get 4k and Dolby vision.

I'll try again with the oppo and 7.1 in the future I'm curious to hear with the Marantz being the preamp.

good point, no, I don't think so. That Oppo is not a native 4k machine.

You are either going to lose some sound quality by going through the TV and using optical out, or you are going to lose picture quality if you do HDMI directly into the Oppo. Since an Apple TV already doesn't have the best SQ, I would probably keep it the way you have it. But it is fun to experiment!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    True. Right now going to go with Apple TV direct to the Marantz and use HDMI for both audio and video. I haven't read a whole lot about SR6009 a buddy gave it to me but I think it's new enough to support 4k and dolby vision/hdr. I'll double check tonight.
    Setup:

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I'm not sure the SR6009 is a new enough model to take advantage of the 4K HDR and Dolby Vision transmission. To check I'd connect the Apple TV to the receiver and the receiver to the TV set to see what you get for video resolution then connect the Apple TV to the TV directly. The SR6009 wasn't fully HDCP 2.2 compliant for 4K HDR content because that new standard hadn't been deployed, although it will pass through a basic 4K signal via HDMI 2.0 and upsample 1080P and lower content to 4K.

If the receiver can't pass through the video quality the Apple TV is capable of I'd run the Apple TV directly to the TV. The Oppo 105 can go to the receiver and the receiver to the TV with no loss of capability.
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I just checked and it doesn't support HDR or Dolby Vision. I'll go back to connecting it to the LG and see if I can get this ARC working to still be able to use HDMI for audio.
    Setup:

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,762
    edited March 19
    Options
    Will you get the 7.1 from the AVR of you connect the Oppo to the AVR via HDMI?

So Apple TV > Oppo > AVR
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    Not using the Oppo currently just going to use the Marantz. I just figured out the hdmi arc and have that going finally. I think this’ll be an improvement over the optical out. Thanks guys for the help.
    Setup:

• rooftop59
    Options
    Not using the Oppo currently just going to use the Marantz. I just figured out the hdmi arc and have that going finally. I think this’ll be an improvement over the optical out. Thanks guys for the help.

That will help with pic but is limited to DD 5.1 plus. If you go through the Oppo it should get the atmos core which is Dolby true-hd up to 7.1. Depends on if you want to prioritize pic or audio quality.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I see good info on the dolby difference. So I guess another option is apple tv - TV (arc) - Oppo - 7.1 out - marantz 7.1 in. I have Apple Music and would like to listen to more lossless music. I never spent much time listening as of yet.
    Setup:

• rooftop59
    Options
    I see good info on the dolby difference. So I guess another option is apple tv - TV (arc) - Oppo - 7.1 out - marantz 7.1 in. I have Apple Music and would like to listen to more lossless music. I never spent much time listening as of yet.

Yes, that would just limit your surround sound to DD plus 5.1, instead of Dolby TrueHD 7.1 if you go directly into the Marantz. Might not be a big deal depending on the rest of your set up and how much surround heavy material you watch.

The Apple tv is a great media streamer. Music? Not so much. But for background music when you're cooking/cleaning or parties? Works great for that...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    What are some of the streamers you would recommend? I have a chrome cast somewhere. I’m going to try the Oppo to get the Dolby TrueHD. Interested in other streamers though.
    Setup:

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I also have a spare macbook if that is any good for the hassle
    Setup:

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    This may be another option to use a high quality HDMI splitter to take the output from the Apple TV and run it to the TV set, Oppo, and possibly the receiver as well depending on model. I haven't tried one myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGcuT1vL9jQ
  • rooftop59
    Options
    What are some of the streamers you would recommend? I have a chrome cast somewhere. I’m going to try the Oppo to get the Dolby TrueHD. Interested in other streamers though.

Budget? Soo many options, haven't tried any newer cheaper options.

Overall best for the money that I've tried: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256422350562

If you want to go cheap and get something really solid, find a squeezebox touch on eBay.

I love my arcam, best that I have tried. This is the streaming only version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285725164216

I know @heiney9 and @pearsall001 seem happy with their bluesound nodes, but I've never tried one...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    Thanks I’m going to look through these options. I wasn’t able to get the 7.1 inputs on the oppo to work. Even going direct to the apple tv only one channel worked. The tone test on the marantz came out normal so it wasn’t the cabling.

I’m going to look into the streamers so I can start on the high resolution music. Between making adjustments to my speaker placement and switching from optical to ARC I noticed a huge improvement so I’m happy there.
    Setup:

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    A good streamer is something I'll add to my list of upgrades. For the mean time what do you think of connecting my Macbook to the Oppo 105 using the USB port and then to play Apple Music?
    Setup:

• rooftop59
    Options
    A good streamer is something I'll add to my list of upgrades. For the mean time what do you think of connecting my Macbook to the Oppo 105 using the USB port and then to play Apple Music?

Maybe better, but not by much, because I think you can get hi res Apple Music though the Apple TV. Problem is that it's still noisy, and that is one of the main benefits of a good streamer - a black background.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I see is the Squeezebox Radio an option? I can get one pretty cheap or not worth the effort?
    Setup:

• rooftop59
    edited March 21
    Options
    I see is the Squeezebox Radio an option? I can get one pretty cheap or not worth the effort?

Squeezebox Touch is a great used option for your own streaming library, Spotify, Tidal, and Qobuz, but NOT for Apple Music because they are a bunch of turds. They won't let it work on ANY streaming devices that I know of...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1