What do we have here?

Options
Just cleaned up the main part of my garage, and on the hunt for some Polks to keep me company whilst working at the workbench. Ran across these, and not sure about them. Price seems good, but I don't know much about the model. Bought and sold Monitor 10s in the past, as they sounded too boomy for my space, vs. my current Monitor 7 setup. If these are worth a shot, I could move the 7s to the Garage, and use these for more critical listening.
And yes, it's been a few years. Life, elderly parents and a grandbaby have taken precedence.
But I've got spare time again, and back to scratching my audio itch, with Jesse's Marantz gear in full swing.
https://offerup.com/item/detail/303c68c1-a80a-381f-b1ae-2588c6a243de?q=polk+audio
2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
WiiM Mini
Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
Polk 7B with RDO198s

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,942
    Options
    In with 45 on Jesse's Marantz Gear.

LOL!!

$200 seems fair but I have never heard them.

Like you, I like the 10's but felt the same way, I prefer the 7's as well..
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Critical listening, imo, is better on a modded 5 or 7 than a 12.

However, room-filling music you can feel is better on the 12.

I love my 12, but would need to do some work for them to match my 5 in soundfield/locational accuracy.

That said, $200 for a nice pair? I'd snag them, see what they sound like, see what they need, see if you like them, then either re-sell or upgrade.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    I've never seen these before. Interesting. A little like an SDA-1C.

For posterity, from the ad...
    nczuijbtl2ny.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    Built to compete with Cerwin-Vega.
    Bro they've been posted and talked about here many many times.

Reading is fundamental....
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    edited March 22
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Thanks. I'll stop posting now. Now I remember why I'd been gone so long.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited March 22
    Options
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    Just cleaned up the main part of my garage, and on the hunt for some Polks to keep me company whilst working at the workbench. Ran across these, and not sure about them. Price seems good, but I don't know much about the model. Bought and sold Monitor 10s in the past, as they sounded too boomy for my space, vs. my current Monitor 7 setup. If these are worth a shot, I could move the 7s to the Garage, and use these for more critical listening.
    And yes, it's been a few years. Life, elderly parents and a grandbaby have taken precedence.
    But I've got spare time again, and back to scratching my audio itch, with Jesse's Marantz gear in full swing.
    https://offerup.com/item/detail/303c68c1-a80a-381f-b1ae-2588c6a243de?q=polk+audio

I'd keep looking as I don't recall reading anything good about them.

Glad you're swinging with the Marantz gear. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    edited March 23
    Options
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Thanks. I'll stop posting now. Now I remember why I'd been gone so long.

My comment was to @msg not you @Jaybeez. I was just giving him grief.
    No from what I've read over the years they were not a very popular item. Heck for what you bought them I would have too just to hear them.
    Rock on @Jaybeez 😎
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    Options
    If a pair of the Monitor 11s had appeared for sale close to me I would have bought them just out of curiosity, and to see if they are 1 louder than the Monitor 10s.

Thanks for posting the info Jaybeez.
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    I did end up getting these for $175. Didn't like them at first. They were a bit "muddy". I read quite a bit about things others have done to tame the boominess of 10s and 12s, and started the process.
    First, I played with positioning and pulling away from the wall helped a fair amount.
    Then, I swapped the SL2500s for the RDO198s from my 7s (I'll reorder replacements for the 7s) and was pleased at the improvement.
    Looking for a cheap way to get them off the floor, I picked up 12 inch, 2x2 inch square chair legs, with a plan to lay them sideways very similar to the risers that some of the 12s came with. I added "nail in" chair slides to the front of each leg to elevate / tilt the speakers back (about 1/8 inch). This helped a ton, but suprisingly I was picking up much less bass and an almost annoying amount of mids.
    Pushed the speakers back to within 12" of the wall and the bass improvement was noticeable, yet the "forward" mids remained.
    I like to listen to my music "flat" with little to no EQ adjustments, but found that turning down the mids slightly was a nice way to tame them and give me a nice overall sound.
    These seem like they could well be "keepers" and worth a bit of work, some of which I was planning to also do on my 7s.
    Going to order Dynamat for both sets of speakers, which will hopfully tame / focus the mids on the 12s. Also ordering Locktite Power Grab for the magnets. Will do these upgrades and see where we're at.
    I'll likely upgrade the crossovers at some point on the 7s as these were the first "big boy" speakers I ever owned post-college and I want to keep them forever and have them sound as good as possible.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • F1nut
    Options
    I suggest adding a 3x3 inch piece of BH5 or Sonic Barrier behind each mid-driver as that is what cleans up the mids. The Dynamat stops the basket from ringing.

I also suggest using JB Weld instead of Power Grab.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jaybeez
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I suggest adding a 3x3 inch piece of BH5 or Sonic Barrier behind each mid-driver as that is what cleans up the mids. The Dynamat stops the basket from ringing.

I also suggest using JB Weld instead of Power Grab.

Thanks, great suggestions. Assuming sonic barrier on the back wall? And would it make sense to seal the inside of the cabinets since I'll have everything but the tweeters out?
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yes, a 3 or 4 inch square on the back wall directly behind each mid-driver. I've never bothered to reseal the joints of any Polk speaker, but it won't hurt anything as long as you don't use RTV.

President of Club Polk