Pick an Amp

Options
Both of these options are very close in price used. The Rotel could be picked up locally. Thoughts between these 2:
1. Rotel RMB1590
2. Pair of Odyssey monoblocks with some Symphonic upgrades inside.
Cast your vote quickly!

Comments

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
    Options
    Rotel
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,403
    Options
    Odyssey, unless you live in lightning alley.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,575
    edited March 12
    Options
    Odyssey

When should I expect it to show up? I can cover shipping. Thanks man. Great give away! 😆
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,965
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Odyssey, unless you live in lightning alley.

Tom
    Why so...Georgia gets its fair share in the summer.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,403
    Options
    This has been well documented by me on this forum and others. The Odyssey amps take about 3 days from power/cool down to get back to optimum. Day two is the worst.

The amps were designed to stay on 24/7 and that would be perfectly okay, if it weren't for the constant storms in our region that produce lightning. I have heard my system sizzle while on, and this was broadcast over the speakers, as I was buck nekked....DIVING foer the PC to unplug the system.

It's a sound you don't ever want to hear. I had just gotten back the amps I had at the time back from the repair shop. One made it, the other didn't (along with other gear).

So, whenever a storm that would produce lightning is threatening? I would unplug the system that morning (still do to this day).

But, the Odyssey amps (while stellar sounding) take 3 days to get back to optimum. Again, day two is the worst. Some folks don't notice this but I sure did. Klauss even mentions this in his owners manual.

That said, if you just power her down to do a PC or IC swap? No problem. It's when the heating and MOSFET's cool down that it takes three days to get back to where you were.

If it weren't for that? I'd probably still have the amp I had. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,575
    Options
    I just took a look at that Rotel, that looks like a really nice amp. 84lbs??? Sheesh.

What do you plan to drive with one of these amps?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,103
    Options
    Male sure the warranty is transferable on the Odyssey
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    I like the Rotel
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,017
    edited March 13
    Options
    What speakers are you pairing them with?

I’d say Rotel as long as you have a benign speaker load.
    If your speakers dip into 2 ohm territory then I’d say odyssey.

Their Michi line, Rotel, looks interesting. Especially the M8.
    Would like to hear this amp.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    ^ But, wouldn’t pair that Rotel with my Kappa 9’s….
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
    Options
    Great choice!! More pics when you unbox that beast & of course a review down the road. Congratulations & enjoy 🎉🎉
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Good news I beat the Atlanta midtown traffic massacre.
    Bad news I think I have a hernia from lifting it into the trunk. It stays put until the football player gets home lol.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    There’s something to be said for buying stereo equipment by the pound. I owned two Odyssey Khartago mono amps and together they weighed 20 pounds less than this beast! Have fun with it.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Good choice.
    Looking forward to your thoughts...
  • kevhed72
    edited March 17
    Options
    Here are some pics and tips on how to move this beast around:
    Sadie not sure what to make of the monolith
    mc7864c31r04.jpeg
    The packaging made it much easier to install right into the bottom shelf
    3k9ao1w5tjds.jpeg
    The rack will have to be taken apart from top down to make a new spot for everything, but thats part if the fun I suppose
    7ss2mdru2xyg.jpeg
    Yes...complete overkill my my speakers but I am future proof with amps for awhile. I haven't had tome to do much listening yet but so far I am impressed with the sound, especially with ambient. The previous owner purchased in 2020 so there is the possibility this amp is not fully broken in. More to come
    we1mj0qk0wbx.jpeg

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Nice preamp, too!
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Sure like the looks of your new Rotel.

Can never have overkill when it comes to amps. Always better to have too much rather than not enough.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    Nice preamp, too!
    I know...some super cool Polkie sold it to me.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,622
    Options
    Super cute dog! <3