Now and Then... the last Beatles tune

Options
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I don't like it.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't like it.

I like it for what it is... Not a great song but an appropriate goodbye. Still sad to wonder what could have been, if not for a cold December night nearly 43 years ago.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Not bad for a song that is introduced 4 decades later than modern music. 😉

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I've listened to it twice. It's okay, kind of dreary. The guitar's playing is signature Beatles. Maybe I need the lyrics to put it in context. EDIT: Listened again, a little better, more attention to the lyrics. Over three million views already.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    I don't like it.

I like it for what it is... Not a great song but an appropriate goodbye. Still sad to wonder what could have been, if not for a cold December night nearly 43 years ago.

FWIW -- I don't think any band, to date, has outdone Abbey Road and, specifically, The End as a deliberate, virtuoso valediction.

Bowie's and Leonard Cohen's last albums are in the ballpark, but them guys wasn't bands. ;)

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    "Love Me Do" was remastered to serve as the "B" side... It is sublime.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    edited November 2023
    Options
    A little eerie listening to it however it is worth a listen. I dont listen to singles much, not sure if I would revisit.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited November 2023
    Options
    It's way better with today's video which seems like a tribute to John Lennon. Peter Jackson made this possible.

Ringo cracks me up. He still looks young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2023
    Options
    "Love Me Do" was remastered to serve as the "B" side... It is sublime.
    Certainly by comparison to the "A" side, and at least in terms of dynamics -- yup.
    I haven't heard it yet, though.
    d761dw6b8qks.png
    source: https://www.faktiskt.io/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74397
    That said, my flashbulb memory of Love Me Do is from a tabletop mono Maggotbox Magnavox record player (ahem, yes vacuum tubed) at my friend Jim Linthicum's house, ca. 1965. It had a bright, fresh, clear, and present sound that set/sets my expectations for, what, coming up on 60 years. :) I think the "Red Album" CD version sounds absolutely dandy in the context of the song, the era, and the recording. The Beatles' early work wasn't anywhere near SOTA, in terms of recording, for EMI in the mid-1960s. I don't think "they" saw any reason for it to be! ;) But it was still just right.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    2023 Love Me Do Remix vs 2009 Remaster (the 2023 version sounds a lot better to me) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEHmEC9aWis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pGOFX1D_jg
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I don't like it.

FWIW -- I don't think any band, to date, has outdone Abbey Road and, specifically, The End as a deliberate, virtuoso valediction.

Bowie's and Leonard Cohen's last albums are in the ballpark, but them guys wasn't bands. ;)
    Let it Be… Naked! is nearly as good as Abbey Road.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I listen to it... more than occasionally.
    Skip The Long and Winding Road though. :#
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,975
    Options
    Thumbs up for Naked. One of the few "re-dos" that sounded like a never heard before album to me.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I do really like the take of I've Got a Feeling on Anthology 3, though.
    It's too bad that John (as he said) "c##ked it up trying to get loud" in his endearingly Liverpuddlian accent.
    "Not bad, though." :)
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    N&T sounds like a fakeleg to me.

Not bad though.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,136
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I do really like the take of I've Got a Feeling on Anthology 3, though.
    It's too bad that John (as he said) "c##ked it up trying to get loud" in his endearingly Liverpuddlian accent.
    "Not bad, though." :)

Someone who has a fetish for puddles filled with liver. They often come from Liverpool.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I had "Tuesday" in the liverpool. I didn't win.
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    Options
    Not horrible, not great, but simply forgettable to me.......... :(
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited March 10
    Options
    Hansvelton wrote: »
    Not horrible, not great, but simply forgettable to me.......... :(

I agree, and I'm a huge Beatles fan. It's not a Beatles song at all. John recorded the vocals in 1977, long after the Beatles had ended. And it sounds like most his solo work at the time (boring), NOT the Beatles.

Not sure why it's reffered to as the last Beatles song. I'm sure John would be pissed.