Possible Phasing Issue with SDA 2.3TL’s

Options
Hey everyone. I recently moved my 2.3 TL’s up from the basement. I also swapped amplifiers so that I can bi-amp. For some reason while bi-amping I’m getting extra hot out of phase sound. If I run a phase test, the in-phase audio sounds normal, but the out of phase is extremely hot. If I had to guess I would say the out of phase audio is a good 6 DB louder. This makes music sound kind of weird. If I disconnect my crossover cable, it sounds normal. The speakers sounded normal when they were down in the basement on a single amp so I’m not sure if it was the move or the switch to bi-amping that has caused this. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? I do know the crossovers on these units have been rebuilt.

Comments

• jevchance
    jevchance Posts: 11
    Options
    Also, I did double check to make sure everything is hooked up properly. I confirmed that proper phasing is going to all eight binding posts.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    You cannot use non-common ground, mono blocks or dual mono amps with SDA speakers unless you use the AI-1 or Dreadnought isolation transformer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You cannot use non-common ground, mono blocks or dual mono amps with SDA speakers unless you use the AI-1 or Dreadnought isolation transformer.

igr1f6jxftsy.jpg
  • jevchance
    Options
    Thanks, that is almost certainly the problem. Thanks for the info. I read about the transformer but thought my amp surely must be common ground. Upon digging deeper, sure enough the Adcom 7400 is not common ground. I’ll swap out amps for now and look into the dreadnought. Thanks again! Hopefully I didn’t damage anything.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Interesting, good info and thanks for posting your experience with this here. I always wondered what would happen with something like this, how it might present.

Curious, how did you determine that your amp is not common ground? I've seen some discussion on it here and there, but just wondering what you did to figure it out. In the manual? Physical testing?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    I thought it was well documented here that the 5xx series was and the 5xxx/7xxx was not common ground.
  • jevchance
    Options
    Yeah I couldn't find any information in the documentation. I did some Googling and saw references to the Adcom amplifiers with 4 digit model numbers being non-common ground.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    This amp may be like the 5800 the main ground for each channel is connected to chassis ground through a 100 ohm resistor, which makes it non common.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Is the "main ground for each channel" at the binding post, or somewhere else in the circuit?

Same chassis ground?
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Stop being so serious, Scott. It's not like you and it's freaking me out.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited March 11
    Options
    I guess that depends on the actual amplifier topology of the "mono blocks", or your definition of "dual mono".

My favored amplifier brand has several models advertised as "dual mono"; there's separate power transformers, separate power supply caps, separate circuit boards for the two channels connected to the red-speaker-terminal side of the circuits. (Photos of older models, but showing generally the same physical layout as the amps I have now.)
    42fwzjswxcbi.jpg

na6fg1l87j3x.jpg

The black speaker terminals are connected to chassis ground via 10-ohm resistors; easily bypassed with a couple of banana speaker-cable ends, and eight inches of stranded copper wire connecting the negative speaker terminals. In short, the ground side is not separated except by a couple of resistors. This is exactly the same as the 4-digit Adcom amplifiers except for the value of the two resistors--10 ohm vs. 100 ohm, I guess. I consider them "partial non-common ground" amplifiers. Cram in a jumper wire, and enjoy.

The Adcom GFA-565 monoblocks of thirty-ish years ago are similarly compatible if you're sharp enough to jam a jumper wire between the negative terminals of the two amplifier chassis.

No doubt there are other examples of "dual mono" or "monobloc" amplifiers that are entirely compatible with SDA speakers provided a jumper wire is installed that connects the negative terminals, thus bypassing the resistors. I know guys like the isolation transformer, but that's not an option with older SDA speakers such as 1Bs, 2As, etc. For those older-generation speakers, the jumper wire is "the" solution.

The real problem is with bridged/balanced/differential amplifiers where both the + and the - speaker output terminals are powered, with the negative output terminal set up for reversed polarity, and neither terminal connected to chassis ground. Or the older Carver amps where one channel is in reverse polarity to make life easier on the power supply, then wired backwards at the output (speaker-wire) terminals to bring the polarity "correct" again.
    Post edited by Schurkey on
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Why does this conversation sound familiar?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    I guess that depends on the actual amplifier topology of the "mono blocks", or your definition of "dual mono".

My favored amplifier brand has several models advertised as "dual mono"; there's separate power transformers, separate power supply caps, separate circuit boards for the two channels connected to the red-speaker-terminal side of the circuits. (Photos of older models, but showing generally the same physical layout as the amps I have now.)
    42fwzjswxcbi.jpg

na6fg1l87j3x.jpg

The black speaker terminals are connected to chassis ground via 10-ohm resistors; easily bypassed with a couple of banana speaker-cable ends, and eight inches of stranded copper wire connecting the negative speaker terminals. In short, the ground side is not separated except by a couple of resistors. This is exactly the same as the 4-digit Adcom amplifiers except for the value of the two resistors--10 ohm vs. 100 ohm, I guess. I consider them "partial non-common ground" amplifiers. Cram in a jumper wire, and enjoy.

The Adcom GFA-565 monoblocks of thirty-ish years ago are similarly compatible if you're sharp enough to jam a jumper wire between the negative terminals of the two amplifier chassis.

No doubt there are other examples of "dual mono" or "monobloc" amplifiers that are entirely compatible with SDA speakers provided a jumper wire is installed that connects the negative terminals, thus bypassing the resistors. I know guys like the isolation transformer, but that's not an option with older SDA speakers such as 1Bs, 2As, etc. For those older-generation speakers, the jumper wire is "the" solution.

The real problem is with bridged/balanced/differential amplifiers where both the + and the - speaker output terminals are powered, with the negative output terminal set up for reversed polarity, and neither terminal connected to chassis ground. Or the older Carver amps where one channel is in reverse polarity to make life easier on the power supply, then wired backwards at the output (speaker-wire) terminals to bring the polarity "correct" again.

Knowledge over rhetoric is a rare bird in these woods. Great insight. TY.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.