Thorens refurb help

Options
dromunds
dromunds Posts: 9,984
I acquired a Thorens TD-125 Mk II with SME arm, but it needs refurb. Wondering if anyone is familiar with anyone who can do Thorens refurb work, preferably in Wisconsin area. Thanks

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Vinylnirvana.com is probably the best in the country for this, but he’s in New Hampshire. Check out his many videos and you may be able to DIY. He will work on only select models, including yours I believe.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks, I was hoping to deliver it to someone nearby by auto, but I suppose that was wishful thinking being that I'm in psychological Siberia. Perhaps I can view his videos and actually do it myself. But it's nice to know he's one of the best and if I ship it it will be done right.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    It's getting harder to find shops to refurb gear. Many are not taking new projects until further notice or have a long wait list.

You have the original box to ship it?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    If you do have to ship it, there are a couple of YouTube videos I found a few years ago that where really good and informative. Really made a lot of sense.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks, guys. No original box to ship which is not good for the TD-125 Mk II in particular. Vinyl Nirvana will provide an original box to rent for $20 plus shipping if you go their route but it sure would be nice to be able to drop off. I have a buddy in Denver who drives here and back several times a year so I was hoping perhaps I could find someone out there but the path is not clear yet.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    edited March 2
    Options
    There was a guy who could have transported it to Colorado by motorcycle in 20 minutes, but his service was... arrested.
    I disabled signatures.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Is Hifi Sound still doing repairs in Minneapolis? Or at least they had someone they used to refer out to. This is going back a way though.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    edited March 4
    Options
    Wait, you're in Wisconsin, right? HiFi Haus
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Wait, you're in Wisconsin, right? HiFi Haus

He could try but their web site says they are not accepting new repairs until further notice.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • erniejade
    Options
    Haaa shoot. It's been a bit since I have gone to either place
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Pfft... What a streamer.
    I disabled signatures.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Not much to these turntables and there are a lot of kits available to rebuild the motor, recap the circuit board, replace the suspension springs, and replace the belt. The SME 3009 arm is easy to rewire, too. Why not DIY?
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • dromunds
    Options
    I could try the DIY route but really short on free time. I may try it incrementally. Thanks for the tip on HiFihaus. I’ll try to talk to them and see what’s up in their future