Rogue Audio 99 Magnum preamp

Options
2»

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Congrats!! It's been fun to watch all the upgrades you've made the past several months, Phil!

This thread has got me wanting to do some 6SN7 tube rolling in the LampizatOr DAC, now. 👍

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options
    Tubes suck, and cables don't matter.. it's all snake oil.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,002
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Congrats!! It's been fun to watch all the upgrades you've made the past several months, Phil!

This thread has got me wanting to do some 6SN7 tube rolling in the LampizatOr DAC, now. 👍

It sure has been a lot of fun & with each new addition the bar has certainly been raised. Maybe down the road my next move is to move up in the Magnepan family. But for now the LRS still amaze me.

Oh boy...get your shovel out to dig that rabbit hole deeper & deeper. All joking aside you have to test the waters with tube rolling. You gotta scratch that itch!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pearsall001
    Options

My bank account strongly disagrees!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    Anyone ever tried a 7n7 or 2 6j5 tubes with adapters in place of a 6sn7?
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    edited March 2
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »

It sure has been a lot of fun & with each new addition the bar has certainly been raised. Maybe down the road my next move is to move up in the Magnepan family. But for now the LRS still amaze me.

Oh boy...get your shovel out to dig that rabbit hole deeper & deeper. All joking aside you have to test the waters with tube rolling. You gotta scratch that itch!!

I have a trusted advisor in @pitdogg2 that keeps me from doing dumb stuff when it comes to tube rolling! After three months, it's about time to see what the DAC can do.

Magnepans are a bucket list speaker for me. I'll be looking forward to see what you do next ...

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options

My bank account strongly disagrees!

So do I… just being a sarcastic smartass as usual. :p>:)B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Looks like someone upgraded to Mundorf caps! Nice! Congrats!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Well maybe the company actually used them from the start...OR had an upgrade program like Cary does for their SLP preamps
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited March 4
    Options
    Rouge has a web page listing upgrades. IIRC Carl had the super magnum upgrade done.

You could inquire with Rouge for service history by serial number. Some companies will not divulge service history. Based on personal experience Krell would, ARC would not. They didn't share personal info like who owned it, just service history about the product.

http://www.rogueaudio.com/The_Magnum_Series.htm
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,065
    Options
    Always wanted to hear Rogue, but I’ve never had the opportunity. Great looking and I’m sure even better sounding piece of gear. Congrats and enjoy,
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    I've seen them, heard them and still can't spell it correctly...lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pearsall001
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »

Well maybe the company actually used them from the start...OR had an upgrade program like Cary does for their SLP preamps

I spoke with Bill over at Rogue today & the Mundorf caps were stock in the 99 pre. They do offer a upgrade package for the 99, something to consider at a later date.