Peter Gabriel I/O

Options
Latest release from Peter Gabriel. As per usual, Peter continues to release fantastic music. I/O has two versions of each track, brights side/dark side. Songs were released each month of the 2023 calendar year, with the Bright Side Mix coinciding with the full moon each month and the dark side mix with each new moon.

Really dynamic, interesting music with tons of bass authority as per usual with Peter’s music. Highly recommend giving this album a listen, it’s a long one and you are familiar with Peter’s earlier songs, you will hear some tributes in some of the songs, some are more obvious than others.

My personal favorite is the dark side mix of Panopticon. Very dynamic and fun song, the bass kick is fantastic and Peter’s soothing voice is present, front and center.

Full album, both side mixes are available on Tidal.
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,511
    Options
    I just gave my wife the double CD version for her birthday. Thanks for the review!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,056
    Options
    Will have to check it out
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Anyone else happen to give this album a listen? Would love some perspective gives from those of you with better ears than me.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Peter Gabriel music isn't very good unless you're on LSD. Then it's awesome!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited January 31
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Anyone else happen to give this album a listen? Would love some perspective gives from those of you with better ears than me.

Don't have a streaming service...so, jumped on Itunes and previewed after seeing this thread. Liked it enough to purchase. Have to admit, other than So, I haven't followed him much. What intrigued me was the single drops/year-long release you mentioned above.

Am halfway through the Dark-Side Mix (disc 2) and completely agree with your comments...
    stangman67 wrote: »
    As per usual, ...fantastic music.

Really dynamic, interesting music with tons of bass authority...Highly recommend giving this album a listen...the bass kick is fantastic and Peter’s soothing voice is present, front and center.

Speaking of voice and mood he sets with the music...I saw/listened to Marillion back in the 80's and have been a huge fan of their lead singer, Fish, and his solo work. Not saying they are the same but first impression, at times, of this album's "imagery" and Gabriel's voice, at times, reminds me of Fish. Also, "Playing for Time: Dark-Side Mix" is playing as I type and I'm reminded of Randy Newman.

With respect to i/o, I agree, very well produced and, as you mention, wouldn't expect less from Gabriel...and, considering his age, his voice hasn't suffered w/time. Sounds great on SDA's...wide soundstage/effects...and I'd echo worth a spin (purchase).

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

p.s. As I finish typing this "Four Kinds of Horses [Dark-Side Mix}" is playing...definitely reminds me of Fish.........and.......BASS! Me likes!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    Options
    wbqj5crzp0vl.jpg

Been listening and enjoying I/O on Tidal since its release. This thread struck my curiosity on how the inside mix on Blu Ray will sound so purchased it arrived today. I cant wait to hear the Blu Ray no time this evening but will this weekend , and report back.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I stumbled upon this album on Qobuz a few days ago. I've given it two complete listen-throughs. It's a beautiful record. Very solid production. Haunting lyrics. 21 years since his last album... hard to believe. I was never a huge fan though I liked several of his popular singles. This record really grabbed me though. Another recent one that hooked me is Flaming Lips' American head.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette