My Crown Power Amp Comparisons XLS/DCi/CDi Series With POLK SRS 1.2s And Others

Options
gqpn1eesd0ft.jpg

I also posted this in the POLK Audio Enthusiasts group on FB.

The battle of the Crowns has been underway...

Preliminary results using various combinations of amps in stereo, bridged, bi-amp etc. driving POLK SRS 1.2's, POLK RTi12's, Klipsch SPL-150 subwoofers, Martin Logan Sequel II Electrostatics, Klipsch KLF-10's and Klipsch Chorus II's. All fed by my Parasound P5 preamp.

-XLS 1502 DriveCore Class D : I have 2 of these with each bridged @1050w as the ideal config for my SRS. Pure power bang for the buck. Excels at low frequency driving for subwoofer or low frequency bi-amping, so-so for full range use in a home setting. It's decent, but not Hi-Fi at all. Mids are mild, highs are aggressive and become headache inducing over long listening periods on all speakers - especially with Klipsch. Phenomenal for subwoofer use, drives my SPL-150s WAAAY better than the factory amps. Chassis is thin and light, but it's a very inexpensive amp - compromises needed to be made. Fan is practically inaudible, clean, quiet strong amp. When the fan does come on, you need to be specifically listening for it. It's nearly inaudible. It will engage occasionally at idle, but again barely audible. Zero "hiss" with balanced connections, clear hiss with RCA unbalanced. You want to use balanced connections on this amp unless using for a subwoofer. Basic onboard DSP is great for sub use or non Hi-Fi sound, simple and easy. High end can be overcome with preamp or external DSP processing in home theater use. However for strict 2 channel unprocessed preamplification, I would look elsewhere. I'm currently running one of these amps in stereo mode on the low end only on my Martin Logan Sequel II's (A CDi 1000 is running the electrostatic panels) and it's perfect in this application. The other drives my subs, but they are out of rotation at the moment as they really aren't needed anymore after switching to Crown as my main amps.

-DCi 4/300 DriveCore Class D : This is a whole different level of Class D. This is literally one of the best sounding amplifiers I've ever heard. It's as smooth as my B&K 200.2's, with crushing power and an awesome soundstage. Smooth as glass. Bass is accurate and tight, kicks you in the gut while still remaining very musical. Mids are fantastic and smooth. Highs are clear, transparent, and not piercing at all. Zero audible "hiss". It's built like a tank, made to run 24-7 for years on end. There are a few downsides though: The bare wire inputs and outputs may deter many home audio users along with the rear gain controls (PIA for gain matching to your preamp). It also uses smaller 3.81 Phoenix input connectors, not the typical 5.08mm. The biggest turn-off though is the fan. It's audible at low speed and kicks on all the time even when idle. There are no known modifications for this, so unless you like noise, or can place the amps away from your listening area, this is the Achilles Heel of this series for home use. Other than that this is just an amazing amplifier - I highly, highly recommend this series and can understand why they are so expensive. I scored mine practically new for $100!! Good luck finding that deal haha!! Bridging the 4 channels delivers 600w into the SRS 1.2s and they absolutely sing with this amp.

-CDi 2000 Class A/B Switching Rail: THE WINNER!! I also have a CDi 1000. This amp is essentially the exact same guts as the XTi 2002, but for permanent installation applications. The only differences are the XTi series has a more robust chassis and XLR/Speakon/binding post outputs. While the CDi has a lighter chassis, it uses 5.08mm Phoenix input connections & barrier strip speaker connections, and adds in 70v output options (added transformer and circuitry). This amp is smooth and strong. There is a little bit of "hiss" out of the tweeters at idle, but only audible with your ear up to the tweeters - inaudible a foot or two away. Low end is crushing and accurate, just like the DCi. Mids are on also on par with the DCi. Highs are fantastic, clear and transparent, though the DCi seemed a bit more refined on the highs, but not nearly enough to knock it down. Leagues above the XLS 1502 on the mid and high end. Fantastic soundstage. The fan DOES NOT RUN unless needed, which it took me driving the amp hard for a long period to even get it to turn on. It is audible when running, but variable speed and starts low. It does not run at idle at all. You need to be really driving the amp for the fan to engage, and at that point in your listening room it would be a non-issue. The DSP is just AMAZING when using the HiQ Audio Architect software on your computer. I could go on for days with this, but basically for manual dialing in, it's just over the top great. An absolute game changer after learning the program (Still learning). My Crossovers on my POLK SRS 1.2's are in need of being re-capped, but this amp allows me to offset the differences between my R&L original caps with pure digital DSP adjustments. I am in love with this amplifier, I'll be getting more. Phenomenal, hi-end sound in a pro package. Definite keeper. This amp is solely running my SRS 1.2's in 2 channel stereo mode @475w and I can't see that changing anytime soon. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

Feel free to fire away any questions you have, I'll do my best to answer through my own personal testing.
Polk Speakers In My Arsenal:

-SRS SDA 1.2 Walnut w/RDO 194 Tweeters
-SDA1 C Studio Black
-RTi12 Cherry
-RTiA7 Cherry
-RTiA1 Black
-FXiA4 Black
-PSW404 Subwoofers (2) Black

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if there a group who come here to pick at Jesse lol

Great write up. Can't say I agree with using pro amps for the application but appreciate your feedback
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if there a group who come here to pick at Jesse lol

Great write up. Can't say I agree with using pro amps for the application but appreciate your feedback

Just the OP saying that it sings with bridged amps is all I need to know.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    It's decent, but not Hi-Fi at all. Mids are mild, highs are aggressive and become headache inducing over long listening periods on all speakers
    Glad you said it!!
    Completely agree with your assessment.
    They work great for sub amps, period!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    appreciate your feedback

There's a pun in there somewhere. :p
  • VR3
    Options
    I run the XTI4002 for my HT subwoofer. Running it for 2 channel is like an assault weapon to the ears!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Plugging in some unused memory circuits I can remember using pro amps on big sda's 15+ years ago (I hang my head in shame) also thinking they were the cat's meow. Then I heard something better (didn't have to look too hard) and realized Jesse was right.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    appreciate your feedback

There's a pun in there somewhere. :p

Negative
  • CNap
    CNap Posts: 4
    Options
    Haters gonna hate! I get it, there's a stigma with using pro amps in Hi-Fi settings, but I assure you the higher tier Crowns are fantastic amplifiers. I have a pair of B&K 200.2's that I bi-amped my SRS with @225x4, along with Adcom GFA-555s @200x4, Rotel RB991s @200x4, and the Crowns win in every way over all of them - well not the XLS haha! When running a nice balanced preamp, using pro amps can feed the high current needed to properly drive a large speaker like the SRS 1.2s without having to spend silly money on high power audiophile amps (aka McIntosh, Bryston, etc). The DSP options expand even further, and it's fun as hell to play with and learn. The soundstage alone from the power opens them up in a way that my other amplifiers simply cannot achieve. This post is not intended to be a haters den... this is for those that recognize that twin $10k McIntosh's are likely never going to happen, but still want to get the most out of their speakers, and you absolutely can with pro amplifiers.
    Polk Speakers In My Arsenal:

-SRS SDA 1.2 Walnut w/RDO 194 Tweeters
    -SDA1 C Studio Black
    -RTi12 Cherry
    -RTiA7 Cherry
    -RTiA1 Black
    -FXiA4 Black
    -PSW404 Subwoofers (2) Black
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Some think Cerwin-Vega are da bomb...just saying.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,558
    Options
    I run the XTI4002 for my HT subwoofer. Running it for 2 channel is like an assault weapon to the ears!

Same here, except I run the Behringer NX3000 for HT subwoofer use. I did try it on my RTA12b for full range. It was pretty awful. But having this nx3000 bridged and pushing a single 10 inch 2 ohm driver its pretty incredible. I have two 12 inch ceramic drivers I'm going to build a custom box for. Should be a pretty capable sub set up.

That was a good read by the OP anyways. Kind of making me think I should try my tube pre amp instead of the HTR on their Class D ****. 🤔😊
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,558
    Options
    Really? I wrote T uR d and it blocked it out? Does **** work? 😂
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Yes, really. It's like being in kindergarten.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Can we eat paste?
    Asking for a friend
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Can we eat paste?

There's a line from the movie "Barfly" that would fit great here, but in light of the newly-posted rules . . . . :p
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,066
    Options
    This forum is all about having people experience things for themselves and not making arguments based on science, hearsay, etc. I say kudos to the OP for actually listening to various amps (both pro amps and others) and finding what he likes. Though I can’t imagine I’d prefer a pro amp over the B&K, Adcom, or Rotel that he listed, it doesn’t matter what I (or anyone else thinks). He’s listened to them in his listening room with his speakers and that’s all anyone should be asked to do. Most importantly, I don’t think he comes across as a “pro amps are better and your crazy for spending money on anything else” kind of a guy, but just a guy sharing his experience.

Enjoy the music…with whatever equipment you choose.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • VR3
    Options
    I think we also forget that not everyone listens in the sweet spot.

That alone will change what you experience
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 12
    Options
    Call me kooky, I like the XLS series drivecore........of course I now use them for bass amplification and PA as well but my experience, oddly enough, is different. on Klipsch RP600m's they are very pleasant to listen to.....relentlessly neutral...but pleasant. Disclaimor, they need ALOT of break in....particularly running them for long periods of time in one shot. Left it running all night once and was stunned by the difference

It made me build my own Class D amp, which serves on my downstairs 2 channel rig on the LSi15's and it's the best I ever heard them sound.

A Hypex or Purifi based Class D will be in my future I'm sure

Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites