Dilemma - LS-90 vs Monitor 70 Series ii

Options
I recently acquired a pair of LS-90s and a pair of Monitor 70 Series ii (the seller had both pairs and was selling them as a bundle). My previous speakers were LS-50s but I wanted speakers that I could bi-amp. My center is the CS-350-LS. (FWIW, for years I enjoyed by RT38i, RT35i with a CSi40 center before I got the LS-50s).

I like both the LS-90s and the Monitor 70 Series ii; absolutely dig the look of LS-90s whereas the Monitor 70s are taller and slimmer and easy to topple off.

My use case is 60% HT & 40% music. I’m having a hard time deciding whether to keep the LS-90s or Monitor 70 Series ii; keep aside the looks.

Thought I’d as fellow forum members about their experience with these two speakers and which would be sonically better. I know, I know; I need to decide based on what I hear but please don’t mind me asking LOL.

Look forward to your replies; thank you!

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Mod up the LS90's
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    You cannot bi-amp with an AVR, period.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• LordAragorn
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I have a Denon X3600H which I use to drive 4 ATMOS speakers; the 5 bed layer speakers are driven by an external amp (bi-amping the L & R).
  • LordAragorn
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Mod up the LS90's

Will look up LS-90 mods but if you have the information handy, that would help. Thank you
  • F1nut
    Options

I have a Denon X3600H which I use to drive 4 ATMOS speakers; the 5 bed layer speakers are driven by an external amp (bi-amping the L & R).

Bi-amping requires two separate amplifiers, each with their own power supply, not a shared one such as in a multi-channel amplifier. In addition, bi-amping requires the use of electronic crossovers. Anything else isn't actually bi-amping.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    This is in essence what you are doing by bi-amping (bi-wiring) with your receiver - the supply stays the same no matter how many times you split it…

fgnuvsidcpwj.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• LordAragorn
    Options
    Agreed; the bi-amping I’m doing is passive. If we can leave that aside, please, I’d like to hear about LS-90 v/s Monitor 70 Series ii. Thank you
  • F1nut
    Options
    That Monitor series were designed/voiced for HT. The LS were designed/voiced for 2 channel music.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited February 25
    Options
    That Monitor series were low-budget designed/voiced for HT. The LS were quality designed/voiced for 2 channel music.

The Monitor's cabinets are thin and echoey. The LS cabinets are built like tanks. Open them up, compare and knock on their sides.

Check the cone dust caps on the Monitors also. They are prone to coming loose as well.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I guess he didn't like the answers.

President of Club Polk

• LordAragorn
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    That Monitor series were low-budget designed/voiced for HT. The LS were quality designed/voiced for 2 channel music.

The Monitor's cabinets are thin and echoey. The LS cabinets are built like tanks. Open them up, compare and knock on their sides.

Check the cone dust caps on the Monitors also. They are prone to coming loose as well.

Thank you, will keep the LS-90s; they sound good to me in my setup, including for movies. Appreciate you answering the actual question. 🙏
  • LordAragorn
    Options
    That Monitor series were designed/voiced for HT. The LS were designed/voiced for 2 channel music.

Thank you, decided to keep the LS-90s.
  • LordAragorn
    LordAragorn Posts: 11
    edited February 26
    Options

Not sure what made you say that 🤷‍♂️ 😅.
  • F1nut
    Options

Not sure what made you say that 🤷‍♂️ 😅.

Days without a response, but thanks for finally doing so. B)

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited February 26
    Options
    Wise choice. Some folks here dazed without a response.
    Post edited by xschop on