BLACKHOLE 5 Damping Material

Options
So Socicraft no longer sells this, Looks like Speaker City USA is the only one selling it.

Have any of you purchased from them before??

12" x 18" is small compared to what was available when Sonicraft sold it..

Comments

• joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 252
    Options
    Looks like Blackhole has downsized it. That's the only size I see listed on there site.
    https://blackhole-america.com/#bhfive

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    You can buy the 12"x18" sheet or pre-cut tile pieces from this place.
    https://soundsgoodstereo.com/products/blackhole-tile-coated-water-resistant-multi-layer-high-efficiency-acoustical-absorption-pad

Jeff told me something about BH5 saying full sheets were too expensive to ship or some such. I know BH5 raised their price a lot!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Jeff told me something about BH5 saying full sheets were too expensive to ship or some such. I know BH5 raised their price a lot!!!
    I'm pretty sure you and I bought the last he had several years back. The manufacturer had already downsized and kept the price the same. Jeff was real put off by this at the time.

• F1nut
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you and I bought the last he had several years back. The manufacturer had already downsized and kept the price the same. Jeff was real put off by this at the time.

Ed Zachary

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    No-Rez is another option, depending upon how much sound transmission is an issue. BH5 is 4.3x more expensive.

https://gr-research.com/product/no-rez-24x27-sheet/
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    Options
    Bh5 is a very different product then no rez but achieve similar results. Bh5 though is much much thicker and heavier in comparison
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    He's talking about BH5, and any similar products, here:

"Many other products used in this application often suspend a barrier layer sandwiched between foam layers. This can have some isolation benefit, but does little to control enclosure resonances.

This isolation layer is typically used in noise control pads to keep sound, in some frequency ranges, from passing from one side of the barrier to the other. This type of material is typically used in industrial applications to reduce sound produced by noisy machinery. This can have an adverse effect in some loudspeaker designs if used with a heavy coverage as the suspended layer can mass load the woofer to some extent. This can cause a muddiness to the mid-range."

One aspect of BH5 is that it doesn't change the effective enclosure volume, which may be a plus unless you designed for it. If what he says above is true regarding mass loading the motion of the midwoofer cone, it could explain the negative experiences some have had who have tried to use larger than small pieces of BH5.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    You can buy the 12"x18" sheet or pre-cut tile pieces from this place.
    https://soundsgoodstereo.com/products/blackhole-tile-coated-water-resistant-multi-layer-high-efficiency-acoustical-absorption-pad

Yeah they did, I still have a little bit of one of the last sheets they had when you gave me warning it was going away, but I will need two sheets, and I will just bite the bullet, as I do want it in my speakers..
  • rodman53
    rodman53 Posts: 18
    Options
    How about Sonic Barrier from Parts Express?
    Sonic Barrier 1-1/4" 3-layer Acoustic Sound Damping Material with PSA 18X24"
    $29.98
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's better than nothing, but it is not what the original BH5 was.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    It's better than nothing, but it is not what the original BH5 was.

Heck, BH5 is not what the original BH5 was.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yeah, that was implied.

President of Club Polk