musical fidelity m6s prx amplifier with SDA SRS

Options
JCL
JCL Posts: 111
Does anyone have any experience with the musical fidelity m6s prx amplifier and SDA SRS speakers. I’m looking at getting a new 2 channel amp for a dedicated 2 channel system. I’m not sure if they are common ground.

The m6s prx fits in my budget right now. It sounds good in the store, but I have no way of testing them with the SDA SRS 2.3’s.

John
L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited August 2023
    Options
    It, like most MF amps, is true dual mono and therefore not common ground.

Time to build a Dreadnought.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JCL
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I thought when we measured continuity and got a continuous circuit it would have been a common ground. But I was confused when I looked at the front of the amp and it said dual mono. I’ll have to look into the Dreadnought and what it requires to make one or look into a different amp.

John
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • F1nut
    Options
    Where did you measure and what reading did you get?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JCL
    Options
    I’ll have to ask him where he measured it, The back was not facing me when he used the multimeter on it. It buzzed for continuity and I thought I saw .3 ohms when he switched it, but I don’t know what scale he had on it or where he was measuring. I’m not sure when I can get back there to remeasure the amp. Where should the measurement be taken from?

John
  • F1nut
    Options
    The negative binding posts.

You can always ask MF.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Looks very dual mono.
    0wq8a2zk9h6c.jpg

President of Club Polk

• JCL
    Options
    I asked the sales person I am dealing with to confirm with the manufacturer on wether the amp is common ground or not. Since he is on vacation this week I am expecting an answer early next week. I also asked about the measurement and it was taken at the negative binding posts to the speakers.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

John
  • JCL
    Options
    This is what the manufacturer said. I had also asked about the power into 4 OHMS and wether it has an inverted channel like the carver amp I have that won’t work properly with the SDA’s.

Musical Fidelity says: According to our test results, at 4 Ohms the amp delivers 370W (continuous, at ≤1% THD/1kHz), both channels driven.

The amp is a common ground design, the speaker (-) output is connected to GND. Therefore no inverted channel

Based on this I think it will be OK for SDA SRS 2.3’s. Am I missing anything here that I don’t ask?

John
  • F1nut
    Options
    Thanks for that info. So, not what I thought. Sorry about that.

President of Club Polk

• JCL
    Options
    I appreciate the input. Better safe than sorry. I’ll probably get it in a few weeks, but I have to demo it first at the shop and make sure I like the sound. I’ll probably have them demo it with L600’s in case it doesn’t work out with the SDA’s I can use it in the home theater setup.

John
  • F1nut
    edited September 2023
    Options
    If you don't like it I'd be surprised. I've never heard a piece of MF gear that I didn't like.

President of Club Polk

• JCL
    Options
    Well I finally broke down and bought the amp. Waited far too long to buy it. I just hooked up the M6sPRX to the 2.3’s and it is working great! I was really concerned when I hooked it up without the SDA cord to make sure it was working first and got no sound. Had the wrong input on the amp selected. Turned everything off and plugged in the SDA cord turned everything back on and it works great. Thanks for the input. It forced me to do my due diligence and research more thoroughly. It’s just what I was looking for.

John
  • F1nut
    Options
    Congrats!

President of Club Polk