Polk L600

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    Brock’s point about break-in time is not an understatement. Figure about 100 hours before they open up and around 200 hours before they really start to shine. Bass will continue to improve beyond that. It took about 300 hours for my L800’s to finally settle in to where they are now.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    Using this L600 thread as an excuse to post the glowing TAS review: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/polk-l600-loudspeaker/
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    That's the review that sealed it for me. They normally make my mouth water when talking about equipment that I would need to win the lottery to afford.

So, I only have about an hour in with these. It was suggested to turn off the sub first, which I thought I had but didn't. As soon the sound started I about jumped out of my chair....way too much bass. The sub was set to play nice with the SDAs but the L600s don't need that. I turned it off and the bass was "nice" with moderate volume but I would not describe it as giving a tactile feeling(which playing the Van Morrison album is not something to expect anyways). So I decided to add the sub with crossover and volume settings adjusted properly and wow, what a difference.

Other than the bass, first impressions could be summed up by my wife's comment when she strolled into the room, they are so "clear". I've sometimes felt I needed the lyric sheet to know what Morrison is saying. I was surprised to not feel that way.

Soundstage is so different from the SDAs and in a good way. Location of vocals and instruments were very easy to pick up on. At times I really felt like Van was right there in front of me. I think I need to experiment with toe in though since the sweet spot seems very narrow, just the slightest change in position was noticeable. But in the right spot I was immersed and pleasantly surprised in how good they sound. If break in is going to make a them even better, I'm stoked!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,307
    muncybob wrote: »
    I know what I'm gonna do tonight.xwyt3diw6eqg.jpg

Very nice looking room!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    The bass will come around. I would keep the sub off until they are fully broken in. In fact, the bass is the last thing to hit it's stride when break-in is over.

So be patient. At first when I was listening to my L600's I wondered the same thing, what's all this great praise for the octaves of bass. But you will be rewarded with patience.

The mids are too die for and not in an overt way, they are buttery smooth and this generation ring radiator tweeter is phenomenal.

IMO, with the right gear, these punch way above their price point. I don't know how Polk does it, but even after a corporate buy-out, when most companies become mediocre, Polk keeps hitting home runs.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The bass will come around. I would keep the sub off until they are fully broken in. In fact, the bass is the last thing to hit it's stride when break-in is over.

So be patient. At first when I was listening to my L600's I wondered the same thing, what's all this great praise for the octaves of bass. But you will be rewarded with patience.

The mids are too die for and not in an overt way, they are buttery smooth and this generation ring radiator tweeter is phenomenal.

IMO, with the right gear, these punch way above their price point. I don't know how Polk does it, but even after a corporate buy-out, when most companies become mediocre, Polk keeps hitting home runs.

H9

I agree with all of the above...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • muncybob
    While I have never had new speakers to be concerned about break in, I do see the logic. Would rather have it occur sooner than later....any suggestions? Would be great to not put a ton of hours on my tubes but I only have 1 pre at the moment.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,521
    Run them in the back ground for a few weeks at lower volumes on some non tube gear
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    Congrats on your L600's, I love mine.

They do take awhile to break in.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • muncybob
    Been reading John's thread on building these speakers, really interesting as i wondered about the innards but there is no way I'm taking mine apart to have a look.

Has anybody listened to these without the covers on? I recalled a thread on the old SDAs and if people liked to listen to them with the covers off, so I tried that with my 2Bs and I kinda liked it. But, when doing the same with the L600s I quickly put the covers back on. Can't put my finger on what the difference was but I didn't like it. Seemed to do something negative to the mids?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    I remember there being a professional reviewer that preferred the grills on the L600's. I haven't listened with them off.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,467
    edited April 8
    Tried the sound both ways also on my R600's. Granted, not the same speaker but I also quickly put the grills back on. I didn't like the grills off either. Almost as if the speaker didn't blend well without them.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    The Legend series grilles are excellent and do not detract from the sound quality.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The Legend series grilles are excellent and do not detract from the sound quality.

Not to mention Polk has always voiced their speakers with the grills on..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    Speaking of grills...
    inmqcwkn3xz8.jpeg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Finally someone addresses something I've been saying for years - we've GOT to keep the chickens out.
    I disabled signatures.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,567
    Might work for cats, too. Not sure about kids with tools.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    Looks like Blues Brothers
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,567
    edited April 8
    Is it a Dynaco A25? Edit, maybe A35?