Two amp channels were sitting in a bar...

Options
larlane
larlane Posts: 28
I have an Anthem AVM 70 in a 5.4.2 plus zone 2 setup. I have two 7 channel amps. The 4 atmos and zone 2 speakers are powered by a Monolith M7100x (purchased new recently for under $400 including tax and shipping!). The 5 main channels are powered by an Audiocontrol Savoy G4 7 channel amp. It is rated at 230WPC and 300WPC at 4ohms with all channels driven. I have Polk Legend L600's,so the 300 WPC would apply. So, I have two channels open.

A unique feature of this amp is that there is a switch that allows channels 1 and 2 to output the same signal with only one input to channel 1 which eliminates the need for a splitter. Channels 6 &7 on the amp allow the same option. So, I would be using channels 1 &2, and 6&7 for the high/low pass on the L600's.

Is this really biamping or is this biwiring? The manual only mentions bridging, which I know this does not apply since it can only be done with 8 ohm speakers.

I know biamping/biwiring with an AVR would be pretty useless, but this is a beast of an amp. Is it worth the price of another set of good speaker cables?

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited February 21
    Options
    it all comes from the same transformer

It is a good thing they were not sitting ON a bar... that would be a short!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    The G4 amp is only unusual for a Class H multichannel amp in that it allows four of the outputs to be bridged through a switch mechanism. Most amps that can be bridged are two channel.

Engaging the switches simply causes the input signal for a main speaker to be combined for two instead of one output channel. That's bridging and only compatible with 8 ohm nominal loads. I would consider it more as a subwoofer driver setup than as a way to power main speakers.

I've done biamping before from multichannel amps with that much power and never noticed any improvement.

Waste of time and money to try it. With roughly 300 watts per channel available power isn't a problem with that amp.
  • larlane
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The G4 amp is only unusual for a Class H multichannel amp in that it allows four of the outputs to be bridged through a switch mechanism. Most amps that can be bridged are two channel.

Engaging the switches simply causes the input signal for a main speaker to be combined for two instead of one output channel. That's bridging and only compatible with 8 ohm nominal loads. I would consider it more as a subwoofer driver setup than as a way to power main speakers.

I've done biamping before from multichannel amps with that much power and never noticed any improvement.

Waste of time and money to try it. With roughly 300 watts per channel available power isn't a problem with that amp.

You mentioned bridging. That would be using + from one channel and - from another something that is not possible for the L600's as it would have a 2 ohm load-and as you mentioned, a good use for a sub. I am speaking of using the mono switch and have one channel power low speakers and another channel running the highs.

I was never in the biamping/wiring camp since what I gathered from most is that the improvements were generally negligible. I would never purchase an amp for this sole purpose. I got the Savoy at a huge discount even though I only need a 5 channel amp. Just kinda curious since I have the open channels.

As to whether this is biamping or biwiring? As mentioned above they are powered by the same transformer. However, the WPC is rated the same for all channels driven- which is vastly different than trying to biamp from an AVR.

I understand that the bi in biamping means two different amps. I'm just not sure why it would not be biamping in this particular case. How is this different than having 2 monoblocks with 300WPC? Wouldn't the output be the same in both scenarios?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    There are also benefits to not using a couple of the channels on a multichannel amp if it's going to be used for unusually high volume levels. Less required from the power supply and more headroom for the 5 speakers if it powering. At normal residential volumes that's a non-issue though.

I wasn't aware that Audiocontrol was making gear like this now.
  • larlane
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    There are also benefits to not using a couple of the channels on a multichannel amp if it's going to be used for unusually high volume levels. Less required from the power supply and more headroom for the 5 speakers if it powering. At normal residential volumes that's a non-issue though.

I wasn't aware that Audiocontrol was making gear like this now.

There's not a lot of info available about these amps out there. Definitely not used a lot by your average consumer, but geared toward professional installers, although Crutchfield is a dealer. I found this one for less than half price at The Music Room. Generous trial period and easy return. Arrived as new and is a very well built amp. Did Emotiva and Outlaw, but this is a huge and final upgrade.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    I.m sure they bragged all night on who had the bigger set of binding posts.