Repairing small tear in rubber driver surround Monitor 10

Options
redsled
redsled Posts: 18
edited February 17 in Vintage Speakers
I recently purchased a pair of Monitor 10's for very cheap because of a small 3-4mm long tear in the rubber surround of one of the 6" drivers. I was surprised that when I gently pushed on the radiator with both thumbs that both drivers still moved just like the speaker with no crack in the driver.

Does anyone have experience repairing this ? What's best to use.. rubber cement, black silicone, or ?

h2cjkhmpybkl.jpg

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    Options
    I've never done it so I would say to ask simplyspeakers what they would recommend

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-repair-parts.html

If I had to wing it I would use a thin rubber adhesive like the stuff that comes in bicycle tube repair kits and apply it to the inside with a small rectangular piece of lightweight silk for reinforcement.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    You can find the right size rubber surrounds on eBay, I've used them a few times to replace torn surrounds. I'm forgetting the specific listing but you can find them using the right measurements. They are cheap.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • stubby2
    stubby2 Posts: 40
    Options
    If you go the repair route, use a vulcanizing type.
    Bicycle tube repair kits typically have the type you need.
    Polk SDA SRS 2A
    Aragon 8008X3
    Aragon Soundstage
    Multiple Digital Sources
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    They are made of 'butyl rubber', so you can search on that.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • redsled
    redsled Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated !
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    Shoe Goo works wonders. Bonds and stays flexible. Apply to the backside of the surround. Good luck!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    Options
    DO NOT USE SILICONE!!!! B)