Vintage speakers

Options
New here. I've owned numerous vintage polks over the years but never saw these. Picked up at Goodwill for $8/pr. No tag, 5"plastic woofers foam surround. SL1500 tweets.No labels. Sound amazing. What are they? Thanks.
vg0vpmde7ff9.jpg
7lladrms9r73.jpg

Best Answer

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    edited February 15
    Options
  • JesusLord5354
    Options
    Thanks Toolfan66. That's them.
  • shirl_the_girl
    Options
    Hi folks! I have my original mint-condition rosewood Polk Audio 9 speakers purchased new in 1981 in Charlottesville, VA. I was working 2 jobs then to afford the Yamaha tuner, cassette player, and turntable plus these ahmazing speakers (still use the turntable) The 9’s have been in conditioned storage in their original boxes since 1984. Any ideas what these are worth today?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Why do you want to sell them? You should keep them and use them.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    Hi folks! I have my original mint-condition rosewood Polk Audio 9 speakers purchased new in 1981 in Charlottesville, VA. I was working 2 jobs then to afford the Yamaha tuner, cassette player, and turntable plus these ahmazing speakers (still use the turntable) The 9’s have been in conditioned storage in their original boxes since 1984. Any ideas what these are worth today?

Why would you post this in this in Jesus’s thread?
    Matthew might be looking for a set..
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options

$50
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • shirl_the_girl
    Options
    Hi Clipdat: you replied: “Why do you want to sell them? You should keep them and use them.”
    That’s a good question. The answer is: when we built our house in the early 1990’s, the area in our built-in cabinets was too small for the 9’s. We ended up buying Polk Audio 4.5’s that fit perfectly..it’s a really nice space acoustically. So: I have these nice Polk Audio Rosewood 9’s that I bought when I was single, had a great time using them from 1981-84 in an attic apt in downtown Charlottesville, they are perfect for sound & also work well as end tables, but I don’t need them. I’d like to sell them to someone who would appreciate them. I thought this forum would be a good place to ask, since you folks appear to be quite knowledgeable. I’m age 65 now, still love my music, but those 9’s are taking up a lot of space in a closet in my home. They should be taken out of those boxes and used by someone who would appreciate them. If anyone wants any photos, I’d be happy to share. I’m new here. Thx!

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that response and welcome to the forum.

Too bad you don't have an empty spare bedroom, basement rec room, or somewhere else to set up a second system. Then you'd be able to really hear what they could do, and we could help you spend your money building a killer stereo system! Definitely a turntable and maybe a nice streamer as well.

You could even upgrade the crossovers and other components of the speakers and make them sound better than they did when they left the factory floor!

Anyway, just something to think about. Music is such a powerful and inspiring art form, that I get excited when I hear about other people's systems and how they listen. That's cool that you are still using the Polk 4.5 speakers today.

You can definitely post up some photos of the speakers if you'd like, but you can't actually list them for sale here until you have 100 posts. However, once we know the exact model that they are, we can check HiFi Shark for sold listings on other platforms like eBay, Audiogon, USAM, etc. and get an idea of what you might be able to sell them for locally, or on eBay, etc.