Brimar 5Z4G Rectifier

Options
brgman
brgman Posts: 2,859
edited January 2012 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I bought one from Langrex overseas and it has a small piece jiggling around in the bottom.I cannot get a response from the guy so if anyone has one or a lead on a truly reliable source i'm game.Thanks
Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
Post edited by brgman on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I have one that NOS,, the base is a tad,,ever so slightly loose,,but tests fine and plays fine in the Dared.Let me know--thirty five and it's yours.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • brgman
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'll let you know soon george.thanks.
    i finally got a response and he says he is sending a replacement.

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited December 2011
    Options
    brgman wrote: »

I was going to say, I've bought from Langrex a couple times and while I've had no issues, he was always responsive to questions and shipping info, etc. Glad to hear

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited December 2011
    Options
    brgman wrote: »

Ditto. I felt kinda bad for you after I had recommended them. Let us know how you make out. :cool:
  • brgman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Got the replacement in the mail from Langrex.
    It is a WG CV1863 KB/FE and under that 5Z4G
    No Brimar labeling so i guess he sent something equal?

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's a Brimar made at the STC Oldway, Footscray England plant. "CV" is the designation for Common Valve and was produced for the military. "1863" is the common valve designation for a 5Z4G. Early 1960's

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • brgman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    It's a Brimar made at the STC Oldway, Footscray England plant. "CV" is the designation for Common Valve and was produced for the military. "1863" is the common valve designation for a 5Z4G. Early 1960's

H9

I'll consider that a good thing i guess?

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    What more do you want? It's a Brimar.
  • brgman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ok.lighten up Francis!:cheesygrin:

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hey man, I just gave you the entire history of that tube................:razz::biggrin:
  • brgman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    that's what scares me
    the fact that you knew all that sh^t lol

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I may have one of those Brimar tubes in the goody box, let me check tomorrow. I know I have a few dozen Brimars of different shapes and sizes.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • brgman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    DORO!
    You're ALIVE!

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Anyone have a good Brimar 5Z4G Coke Bottle type they can sell for a decent price? I think mine developed a leak and is displaying colors like the Aurora Borealis. I did a quick search and the prices have gone way up since I bought mine which was a later NOS.

Anyway, appreciate it if someone has one they'd like to part with or has a lead on where I can buy one for a fair price. It's been awhile since I bought any tubes and glad I stocked up when I did. Some of the prices are astronomical nowadays.

TIA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Quite a while ago Doro was having a clearance sale and Up and went MIA . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 7
    Options
    gqyhoxl4if6k.jpg
    mq536fbjousm.jpg
    fskzbrirrbkx.jpg
    tmru14062sg4.jpg
    Mike, I paid $80ea. Plus shipping from Australia for the NOS pair back when I had a Dared SL2000a. The one in the bag came with the Dared and weights HALF of the 1950's tube. The 1950 tubes sound a ton better. Both were tested and put back in the boxes as I moved on to my tubed pre I'm still using. The dared just had too much gain for my liking.

• Keiko
    edited February 8
    Options
    Thanks Ivan. Yeah, 80 is a little to steep for me right now being I'm on a fixed income. I found this website and calculated his asking price to 8 dollars & change. I just sent an email asking for a total plus shipping.

https://www.store.tubes.rs/products/5z4g-brimar-bva-cv1863-nos-holes-in-anodes

I'll keep you in mind if I can't find anything and maybe we can work something out. I'd much rather buy from a fellow polkie than anywhere else and those do look outstanding. Thanks bro!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Not to butt into a sale, but of the ones pitdogg has for sale, the black base one is probably the older/better unit. The brown base has a date of 1972, and I have never been able to verify if that's a production date or the date the tube went into service.

I have (1) 1950 - Brimar 5Z4G left in my stash and I am not parting with it at this time just in case I need it in the future. I've sold just about all the "overstock" I had in the past couple years. Tube prices are insane and I am noticing a lot of the 50's and early 60's stuff just isn't as plentiful anymore.

I have enough tubes to last (2) lifetimes, but I guess I will be hoarding them as they are too hard to replace when I sell them.

The Brimar 5Z4G is the best of that type of rectifier.

Mike, I'll take a look and see if I have anything else stashed. I seem to remember an odd single 5Z4G also made in England (came in a GEC box) that came with a cache of tubes. If I still have it, it's yours. It may take me a few days to find or I may have given/sold it in the past.

H9

• Keiko
    Options
    Thanks Brock. I did think of you first and tried to send you a PM several times, but for whatever reason, I got an error message back, not able to send. I'm using a very nice Valvo tube at the the moment that you sold me several years ago when the Dared was a hot topic on the forum. I got a nice stash of tubes for my Dared & Yaqin and glad I stocked up when I did. Prices have gone thru the roof on some. My Telefunkens that I bought several years ago started hissing and making noise about a year ago and I had to take them out of service. Prices on the Teles are just insane right now and looks like I won't be able to replace them anytime soon.

The Valvo is saving the day right now and fortunately I have quite a few rectifiers including a Bendix 6106 that the late, great George Daniel gifted to me awhile back. That tube is even older than I am. It's nice, but I prefer the aesthetics of the Coke Bottles over the straight bottle tubes. I think my Brimar was from the 70s, but still sounded the best to my ears with the Dared.
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 8
    Options
    Mike if you're looking at this tube

https://www.store.tubes.rs/products/5z4g-brimar-bva-nos-nib?pr_prod_strat=e5_desc&pr_rec_id=af823ce46&pr_rec_pid=8578079555866&pr_ref_pid=8577650622746&pr_seq=uniform

That is not a Brimer tube.

The one you linked says sold out and €79.50 is over $80, not $8.
    The conversion rate today is €1 is $1.08 U.S. brother.

Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • Keiko
    edited February 8
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Mike if you're looking at this tube

https://www.store.tubes.rs/products/5z4g-brimar-bva-nos-nib?pr_prod_strat=e5_desc&pr_rec_id=af823ce46&pr_rec_pid=8578079555866&pr_ref_pid=8577650622746&pr_seq=uniform

That is not a Brimer tube.

The one you linked says sold out and €79.50 is over $80, not $8.
    The conversion rate today is €1 is $1.08 U.S. brother.

Either I misread it or someone made a change to that page after I emailed them. I copied and pasted the euro price and did a conversion to USD and got the 8 & change price. Odd, but thanks bro. It sounded too good to be true which is why I emailed them. The tube you linked to is different than the one I looked at.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Thanks Brock. I did think of you first and tried to send you a PM several times, but for whatever reason, I got an error message back, not able to send. I'm using a very nice Valvo tube at the the moment that you sold me several years ago when the Dared was a hot topic on the forum. I got a nice stash of tubes for my Dared & Yaqin and glad I stocked up when I did. Prices have gone thru the roof on some. My Telefunkens that I bought several years ago started hissing and making noise about a year ago and I had to take them out of service. Prices on the Teles are just insane right now and looks like I won't be able to replace them anytime soon.

The Valvo is saving the day right now and fortunately I have quite a few rectifiers including a Bendix 6106 that the late, great George Daniel gifted to me awhile back. That tube is even older than I am. It's nice, but I prefer the aesthetics of the Coke Bottles over the straight bottle tubes. I think my Brimar was from the 70s, but still sounded the best to my ears with the Dared.

Hmmmm....not sure why the PM isn't working. The Valvo and Bendix are solid rectifiers in the same class as the Brimar, so until you can find one those are no slouches.

For the Dared I agree the older coke bottles are a better aesthetic. Not sure when I am going to dig for that GEC I have around here. I don't want to play the pity card, but my Dad passed away suddenly about 10 days ago. My Mom passed about a year ago too. So my brother and I have been quite busy making arrangements and starting to go through 81 years of stuff.........

As long as you have something in the meantime, I'll dig them out eventually.

H9
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Sending a new PM isn't working due to a Vanilla update/maintenance event the other day. If you are in an existing PM there is no problem.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Wow. I am terribly sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your father. May he rest in peace.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    My Condolences Brock
  • Keiko
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Keiko wrote: »

Hmmmm....not sure why the PM isn't working. The Valvo and Bendix are solid rectifiers in the same class as the Brimar, so until you can find one those are no slouches.

For the Dared I agree the older coke bottles are a better aesthetic. Not sure when I am going to dig for that GEC I have around here. I don't want to play the pity card, but my Dad passed away suddenly about 10 days ago. My Mom passed about a year ago too. So my brother and I have been quite busy making arrangements and starting to go through 81 years of stuff.........

As long as you have something in the meantime, I'll dig them out eventually.

H9

Condolences Brock. Don't even sweat it. Will keep you and your family in my prayers.