Ventless Gas Fireplaces

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
Anybody have any experience with them?

We have one at the house, previous owners Captain Half-assed it right up.

Thing is, every time I've used it, it gives off this odd smell. it's not a gas smell, it's just....funky.

I did some research and found that apparently the fake logs only last about 5 years or so and they will soak up environmental odors and release them under heat.

I asked a local chucklehead fireplace dude and I seemed to be bothering him and he basically blew it off as "super heated air" which is, honestly, malarkey. The gas stovetop in the kitchen burns WAY hotter and only stinks if something got spilled on a burner.

So I'm figuring that Captain Halfass, who was a smoker and had numerous poorly cared for pets, didn't take care of the fireplace either. So I'm thinking that the logs soaking up and concentrating stink has merit and is the culprit.

I went looking and I cannot find a solid answer on if I can just replace logs or if I have to replace the entire burner assembly with new logs.

I looked into cleaning them and the consensus I found is that if they are over 5 years old, cleaning will damage them and they should be replaced. But replacement isn't such an easy thing, apparently.

So, any help?
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    I have one that is used almost daily in the winter because it heats the living room up quickly when we need it and very convenient with an ognoter switch on the wall.

One of the "logs" broke in half and I could see a yellowish type of fiberglass material inner core and thin outer paint layer. Whatever substance that bonds/paint is your culprit.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    What fuel does it use. Mine runs on propane, and it definitely produces an odor or fumes when it is on. I plan on adding a vent to direct the emissions outside. I know that reduces the efficiency, but I'd rather that than continue to breathe in burnt hydrocarbon emissions. Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? It is recommended when using a ventless fireplace.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    I think all of them go bad after a while. I have a natural gas fireplace.
    Replaced the logs and burner when I moved in with ventless set up.
    I now have the same issue. I just open the flue now. Not as much
    heat, but it works. I only use it as a backup in case of power issues.
    Other choice is to just pull the logs and run the burner. Log is just
    there for looks.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,104
    Options
    If your unit is on an exterior wall and has the current unit installed within a fireplace opening, I would consider going with a direct vent unit in the same place.
    https://www.heatnglo.com/ideas/understanding-how-direct-vent-works
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    Options
    I prefer the 4K Fireplace App on my AppleTV...oh, wait, not exactly the same thing...

Jstas, how many hours have you used this? Wondering if the smell would eventually 'burn off' or not.

Unfortunately, my current house does not have any natural gas service and its not setup for propane either. I have to live with real wood burning, or bust out the kerosene heater in an emergency. Heat pump struggles for sure when its below 30F.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    Best solution is to just get a new unit if the exact same logs can't be sourced. Logs do absorb odors from the room over the course of years and release odors later. A new log set would need to be a similar BTU rating sized for the room (assuming it was properly sized to begin with) since the fire uses the oxygen in the room for combustion. It'll also need to be checked for any gas leaks at the connector with soapy water. Other than that it's a pretty straight forward thing to do.

I also have my chimney flue cracked open a bit with my ventless unit and have a sealed fireplace door set so draughts don't get into the room.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    I just replaced our logs and unit which was pretty easy. I would advise some type of remote starter or push button starter in the wall due I am getting too old to crawl in there every morning and turn it on from inside the flu. I tried cleaning the previous logs once and it doesn’t work out well. The best you can do is brush vacuum them lightly before cranking up the fireplace each year for the winter season.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    Options
    We put in a ventless fireplace in our basement. Never have had any smells or problems. It will heat the whole basement to the point that we have to open windows.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    Some of the ventless log sets have almost half the BTU output as a standard home's gas furnace with almost no heat loss if they are truly unvented where they're set up. It's a good practice, and recommended in the manual for mine, to crack a window open a bit if they are unvented to provide fresh air for combustion.