Closest modern equivalent to TC60i (Atmos system)

Options
I’m picking up some used (2007-ish vintage) Polk in-wall speakers for an Atmos system. My goal is a 5.1.4 system.

What I’m getting:
TC265i for L/C/R
TC60i for side surrounds

I’d like to get 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos, and am wondering the closest modern equivalent to the TC60i’s.

The VT60’s seem too cheap, so maybe the RC60i’s?

Thanks for your guidance!

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I would think the RC60i would be a fine choice.
  • captouch
    captouch Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks! Now that I’m researching more, I’m even more confused. On Polk’s website, a single VT60 lists for $189. A pair of RC60i’s retail for $199, implying the VT60 is higher in their line. On the Q&A section of the VT60, two questions also imply this:

Q: Between Polk VT60 and MC60, I am assuring MC60 is better for whole-house audio. I am wondering if there is a significant difference or will they be about equal. I like the VT60 because of the grill design but don't want to sacrifice quality.

A (Polk Audio): The VT60 is typically preferred for Home theater use, whereas the MC60 is more commonly used for whole-house use. The grills on the MC60 are of different materials, making them suitable for high-moisture areas like bathrooms. The MC60 also provides a 91dB sensitivity rating, making them a bit easier to drive by a multi-channel amplifier. However, if installing the speakers in dry areas and using a high-powered multi-room amplifier, the VT60 offers better overall sound quality and a cosmetic advantage over the MC60.

Q: How well will the VT60 work for whole-house audio speakers? Will the sound be better or worse than RC60i?

A (Polk Audio): Both the VT60 and the RC60i will make for excellent whole-house speakers. Cosmetically, the VT60 offers an edge-to-edge grill, whereas the RC60i has an exposed frame. As the VT60 is higher up in our line, its sound quality is more refined, offering more detail.

Yet in practical terms, the RC60i sells on various sites for close to retail, but the VT60 is available for $50 each, with Amazon showing a retail price of $80, not $189.

Given the above, I’m tempted to just spend $200 and buy 4 VT60’s and hope they’re on par or better than the RC60i’s, rather than spend close to $400 for 4 RC60i’s. But it’s pretty confusing reconciling market price points with MSRP’s.