Monitor 10

Options
Hi

I am new to Polk and recently acquired a set of Monitor 10 series 2.

They are rare here overseas in Europe.

Initially they sound great but perhaps a smidge forward I really can't tell.

My room is 35 m2 so fairly large. I listen to all kind of music.

I want to have a relaxed presentation of the music so I thought of trying a HK receiver like the 330 or perhaps a twin powered model.

Any opinions on these particular models?

Thanks.

KR JCT

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    edited January 14
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new to you speakers. There are many here that own/have the monitor 10. I've had & enjoyed many HK receivers & liked them all. Great choice. We have members here who knows more that i know when it comes to that model @mhardy6647. Welcome again. Randy, Maine USA..
    Randy/Maine
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    The twin powered HKs are much better. They are under appreciated
  • jct74_dk
    jct74_dk Posts: 33
    Options
    Do they have the same sonic signature as the ones with one transformer?

Should I go for the 430, 730 or 930?
  • dromunds
    Options
    I have a twin powered HK 670 that I think is very nice and they sell for very reasonable prices. The 730 is also very nice no experience with 930. Someone will chime in with more
  • Al_Swearengen
    Options
    I used an HK 730 with my Monitor 7As and agree with the recommendation. I think any of the high current twin HK models (430,630, 730, 930 twin) are know well, but the there .

The SL2000 tweeters are known to be a little bit harsh, so replacing them with the RDO194s is always highly recommended .
    FKA: anton.chigurh (see profile page)
  • jct74_dk
    Options
    So in your opinion they have identical sonics just more power with higher number?

I don't know if the single power 330 is going to be to weak for the 10 and my room.

It should be very smooth I heard.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Unless you already have the 330 I would try to acquire a twin powered model, especially with larger room. I’ve heard some don’t think the 330 had any balls. One thing I didn’t like about the HK670 was the speaker binding posts which were fortunately changed out to five way binding posts. Those spring type binding posts are not my cup of tea. But the 670 was the flagship model I believe when new and sounds great. The 730 and 930 are by all accounts also very nice and they are all really good bang for the buck. The better the power the better those M10’s will sound. The RDO-0194’s will also make a good improvement as mentioned.
  • jct74_dk
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I will try one of those twin powered receivers.

My M10 are with the SL2500 tweeters and so far I don't hear any shrillness or brightness.

I think that regards the SL2000 in the M10b.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited January 15
    Options
    A 330c will sound very good with the Monitor 10 (at least the earlier morphs... I cannot vouch for the "10B" version). The 330c was commonly found paired with the less-sensitive (albeit slightly higher impedance) Monitor 7 models in the '70s; JHU's dorms were full of 'em back in those days, and they sounded fine. :)

The "twin power" hk models should be better, but the cost would be ​commensurately higher (then or now). The hk430, e.g., though only marginally more powerful (5 wpc = 1 dB increase in power per channel), was considered to be substantially ballsier ahem more cojone-enabled than the 330c.

21184812211_85cc76f352_b.jpg
    11324607964_fc5f4a9661_c.jpg

Good modern amplification probably makes more sense in terms of cost, performance, and condition (longevity). Any 40-plus year old hardware will require substantial (expensive) rehabilitation* and/or have a questionable lifespan at this late date. And mind you, I speak as someone who loves the stuff.

* If it's been properly and appropriately rehabbed, the cost will be 1) not insignificant and 2) baked into the purchase price. If not, the time and expense of proper rehab must be factored into a purchase decision for 1970s or 80s hifi components! :|

• jct74_dk
    Options
    For the moment I am using British amplification an Alchemist Nemesis and the sonics are quite nice. Very natural tone.

It's just I wanted to try a vintage receiver more like for fun which made me lusting to try a HK as a qualified amplification for the M10.

But I am also open to more modern amplifiers. Any suggestions in that direction?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I mean, I'd always suggest Yamaha... but that's me all over.

• jct74_dk
    Options
    Great but why exactly Yamaha?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Sounds good, still reasonably well made, and reasonably priced.
    I am thinking specifically of their two-channel integrated amplifiers.