Polk R200 50th Anniversary Edition

Options
redsled
redsled Posts: 18
edited January 1 in Speakers
Received my new set of R200 AE bookshelf speakers Saturday. They are my first Polks and first new speakers in maybe 20 years and, as expected, they sounded rather thin and unexciting when I first hooked them up. But as listening time adds up, they have become noticeably fuller and deeper sounding. Mids are great, that little tweeter is very revealing, and the bass is getting deeper each day. I might have 10-15 hours on them so far. Thanks to the members here who recommended them. The Polk website shows out of stock but Crutchfield and others still have some available.

I didn't notice any recommendations for break-in in the supplied paperwork, such as volume levels so I started with background listening levels and working slowly up to normal-moderate listening levels. I have read that some mfgs. such as Martin Logan suggest starting at 90dB levels for 20 hours or so. Any opinions on break-in for these ? Thanks.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    I wouldn't assume that 'break-in' suggestions for Martin-Logans (most of which, although not all, include electrostatic panels) would extend to these little Polks (with two quite ordinary dynamic drivers).

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Eh, I wouldn't really worry about break in when it comes to speakers. My current speakers were 19 years old (estimated) when I got them and they changed over the course of the first couple of months. They have since been broken in and are now stable.

My recommendation would be to just play them and enjoy. Welcome to CP, BTW and congrat's on getting a really fun speaker! Getting back to your inquiry.....I would expect a couple of months of playing would break them in sufficiently, with them getting more and more stable as playing time marches on.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,928
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Eh, I wouldn't really worry about break in when it comes to speakers. My current speakers were 19 years old (estimated) when I got them and they changed over the course of the first couple of months. They have since been broken in and are now stable.

My recommendation would be to just play them and enjoy. Welcome to CP, BTW and congrat's on getting a really fun speaker! Getting back to your inquiry.....I would expect a couple of months of playing would break them in sufficiently, with them getting more and more stable as playing time marches on.

Tom

Something else I kicked to the curb a few years ago, the “Break In” time on gear or cables. Just plug it in, enjoy, and let things just settle in, some days will sound better than others, IMO of course..
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    I will respectfully disagree. The whole purpose of breaking in loudspeakers is to work out mechanical stresses and other things from when they were built over time that will change the character of the sound.
    You heard it yourself.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    After I get a new pair of speakers for the first two to three days I'll usually let them play uninterrupted at modest volume from a music server most of the day then turn the system off at night. With the R200 it's mainly a function of getting the mid-woofer driver working optimally. 20-30 hours of use should do that with that speaker. Other speakers with larger drivers may take longer. No need to overdo things with the volume and 90db is louder than necessary for breaking in speakers.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    edited January 1
    Options
    It took 200 hours for the L800's to come into their own... Break in is NOT a myth, and the Legends seem to take a long time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    I will respectfully disagree. The whole purpose of breaking in loudspeakers is to work out mechanical stresses and other things from when they were built over time that will change the character of the sound.
    You heard it yourself.

Exactly, over time that will change. No need to leave the system running all day, or days for nothing, just listen to music when you can, and enjoy it as it comes. I am over the whole overthinking process of having gear to listen for changes instead of just listening to music, it’s exhausting IMO..
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    I will respectfully disagree.

Good evening to you, sir. Color me confused but what exactly are you disagreeing with?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    For the record, I am not saying break in is a myth, it’s not a myth, changes will come. All I am saying is just enjoy the music, all of a sudden one evening you will be sitting there listening to your favorites, and you will be thinking to yourself, “WOW My system seems to sound really good tonight” “Really Good”!! And you will know why..
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    The L200’s were 100 hours before truly broke in, before 50 hours they were bad good really bad good bad really good bad better worse etc. I seem to remember sort of the same thing with the R200’s. I almost sent back my LSiM-703’s they sounded so crappy out of the box. Sure was glad I gave them a chance. Wasn’t too impressed with the L800 out of the box either but as mentioned after an extensive break in period they shine. I usually just run the radio at low volume 24 hours a day when I’m not listening to vinyl or an SACD until that 100 hours or so is up.
  • redsled
    redsled Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I've got around 25-35 hours on the R200s and they are starting to loosen-up. Mids more defined but most notably an increase in bass response.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I should also mention that with regard to the Legend as well as the Reserve series I’ve had, they won’t sound that great with most receivers. I had them on a Pioneer Elite receiver which is no slouch and still didn’t sound all that great. But when I put them on a Musical Fidelity A308 they sounded great. On my tube monoblocks they really shine. As with most good speakers they sound better and better as your power gets better.