The IRS and PayPal

Options
13»

Comments

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I thought this was appropriate for this thread.
    u2qg83vrxjcr.png
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I reaffirm my beliefs on this; you can either keep as much of your money as possible, and spend it how YOU see fit, or you allow them to.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Everyone is just catching on now, you were supposed to pay taxes on that stuff all along if you made a profit.
    There's the rub. I doubt anyone reported losses on such transactions in the past. Now (if/when this goes through), it will have to be reported either way - profit or loss - since the sales proceeds will be reported to the IRS. Will losses be allowed, and/or will losses over the annual limit be carried over to future years?

We all know that if you buy a brand-new piece of audio gear, you will undoubtedly incur a loss if you ever sell it...even six months after buying it. Determining cost-basis will be a b*i*a*t*c*h, since the IRS would likely say an item is fully-depreciated after only a few years, so ANY sales proceeds are 100% profit, and thus taxable. However, depreciation is not expensed/deducted by a taxpayer, UNLESS the item is considered a business asset.

If you think about it, just about any item you buy has already been taxed multiple times. The manufacturer is taxed on profit, the distributor is taxed, the retailer is taxed, and if the consumer sells it, now another layer of tax. And, every other owner of the item down the road gets taxed when a sale occurs.

Luckily, I can't imagine the IRS expending a lot of resources to chase-down potential tax revenue for small amounts reported on 1099K. But, the reporting requirements will create a lot of headaches for PayPal, and the taxpayers, to cover their arses.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    You won't be able to write off the loss, is what the IRS is saying, unless you are a business. You can't write off a loss if it's a hobby.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Technically you are supposed to claim any money made off a garage sale even.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    edited January 2
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »

Luckily, I can't imagine the IRS expending a lot of resources to chase-down potential tax revenue for small amounts reported on 1099K.
    I think that will depend on your voting habits for the last several election cycles, combined with your social credit score.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    I think that will depend on your voting habits for the last several election cycles, combined with your social credit score.
    That is starting to sound like an episode of Black Mirror.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon