Oppo UDP-203 vs. BDP-103

Options
I have an opportunity to pick up an Oppo UDP-203 locally for a reasonable price. I already have the BDP-103. I'm curious, if I'm using an external DAC, is there any benefit in upgrading to the 203? I use the 103 exclusively for playing music CD's and for streaming music when I'm working around the house.
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Answers

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    Options
    I own two 205's and a 105D and I prefer the 205 if that helps at all. The 105D is a beast though..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Personally if it were me and it is at a good price, I'd grab it. Better safe to have a "better" spare for the future. One thing is for sure, they are not making anymore new Oppo players.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Depends on how reasonable the price is. The 203 will be newer than the 103 and does 4K video but both models are quite reliable. Either would be equally good when used as a CD transport.

I still have 105D, 203, and 205.
  • newbie308
    Options
    I pick it up on Sunday
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    u da man!

Congrats.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I have a 103, 203 and a 205.

The jump from the 10x series to the 20x series is really nice. The UI is much better and smoother and expanded functionality is always a plus.

Glad you went with the 203.
  • newbie308
    Options
    I hooked up the 203. I was surprised to see that it doesn't offer the streaming options of the 103. Does that capability not exist with the 203?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Yes, with the 20x series Oppo did away with the built in streaming services.

At the time, Oppo said it had a lot to do with the associated costs of implementing it and licensing fees. The costs to keep it would have made the 20x series more expensive than they wanted.

Plus, with it being such a dynamic field at that point, others like Roku, Amazon, Apple TV and built in TV steaming made Oppo doing it extremely redundant.

My 103 that has “built in streaming”, I still have an Apple TV 4K plugged into its HDMI in port for all of my streaming as it’s so much better and more features.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    That's how I remember it too. It was a wise choice to drop the streaming apps. One of the main complaints people have had about other players since then has had to do with the streaming apps being buggy and outdated.

One thing I do appreciate about Oppo was they built in the capability to stream MKV files from a server or USB drive. I wouldn't buy another player without that functionality. Some TV sets allow it now but those tend to not have the bandwidth needed for steady 1080p streaming over Wifi for full MKV files. No such issue with Oppo.