1x Rd 0194, 2 x mw6600x Needed!

Options
2»

Comments

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    No need to sell a speaker you like - especially when they have much untapped potential (mods to the stock form). I listened with a 110 wpc (8ohms) dual-mono Kenwood for years, and it did the job, although not as well as my current set-up (how I learned). My comments above were observations about optimal conditions for your speakers, and about how much power is "too much". If you have not done any Black Hole 5 or Sonic Barrier treatments behind the midwoofers, properly positioned the ployfill, etc (search the forum) I'm sure you'd hear significant sonic improvements. That said, if your room is very bright (tile floor, no upholstered furniture etc. etc.) that could be part of the issue as well.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • jwoods2112
    Options
    Appears to maybe double the wattage at 4 ohm? I don’t like the cliff of failure at 2 ohm, but I can’t afford pass labs
  • jwoods2112
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    What NAD came with it ? I had a NAD 3020 20wpc hooked to Polk Monitor 7 with peerless tweeters & it was pure bliss. NAD has some fine gear.

I hauled in a NAD 3150 integrated, 2150 power amp, and the 4150 tuner along with the speakers and tt. The amps certainly need refreshing, sound very grainy in the mid to HF compared to what I’m currently using. Cool stuff that I worshipped when I was younger, I haven’t gotten around to working on them.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited December 2023
    Options
    The RTA 12B was reviewed in Stereo Review, Jan 1982. He said that it dipped down to around 3 Ohms over much of the range of 100 to 1500Hz. He also said most amplifiers should have "no difficulty" driving them.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-HiFI-Stereo/80s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1982-01.pdf
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    jwoods2112 wrote: »
    9hxj9ys33cfr.jpeg

That is one channel driven. The spec sheet lists both channels driven @ 8 ohms, no 4 ohm rating.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    What NAD came with it ? I had a NAD 3020 20wpc hooked to Polk Monitor 7 with peerless tweeters & it was pure bliss. NAD has some fine gear.

I hauled in a NAD 3150 integrated, 2150 power amp, and the 4150 tuner along with the speakers and tt. The amps certainly need refreshing, sound very grainy in the mid to HF compared to what I’m currently using. Cool stuff that I worshipped when I was younger, I haven’t gotten around to working on them.

By the way, the NAD tuner is a nice vintage find! If you listen to FM broadcasts it does a good job, especially with an outdoor antenna. Replace the fuses/clean the fuse holders, and give the switches a DeoxIt bath and it should serve you well.

Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • jwoods2112
    Options
    Thanks Jazzhead, definitely was kidding on speakers, they are too much fun, I’m into fixing and rescuing so vintage is my thing, yes my car is from the 80s too, but it’s turbo charged! I’ve done some of the mods you mention, big ones to me were dynamat and recapping Xovers, didn’t mess with internal wires. Room has a big rug, plenty of upholstered obstacles and big —Picture window!
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Appears to maybe double the wattage at 4 ohm? I don’t like the cliff of failure at 2 ohm, but I can’t afford pass labs

Could be the current limiting protection going into effect at 2 ohms and lower.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform